claire_mcqueen77

Need help with living room

Claire Mcqueen
6 år siden

Hi, we have just recently moved house but kept the laminate/sofas from the old house as we couldn't afford to replace them yet. I feel like the place needs brightened up and would like it to look more modern but don't know where to start. Can anyone offer some inspiration or advice please?

(20) kommentarer

• Jonathan
    6 år siden
    Personally I think the magnolia walls are a big part of the problem, I think the TV is too high and I think the space is under furnished and I am assuming your only light is the ceiling light.
    I would paint the walls a warm grey or green, lower the TV, put a table or console under the TV, add a patterned rug some pictures and house plants and some additional lights.
    Best of luck
    Claire Mcqueen thanked Jonathan
  • A S
    6 år siden
    Hi,

I think all the colours in the room are all from the same neutral colour palette and therefore lacks interest.

If painting walls is possible, I'd change the colour off the walls to an off-white or light grey to break the colours. I'd also add a rug in a accent colour of your choice with patterned cushions to break up the flooring and similar coloured sofas.

I agree that the room is under-furnished and would add a console, add a larger coffee table and maybe individual chairs/footstools/ pouffs in a different colour/texture/pattern.

I think the light fitting is also out of proportion to the space and would get something which is larger to make it look more balanced and to get an even dispersion of light.

Good Luck
    Claire Mcqueen thanked A S
  • A S
    6 år siden
    I know you have blinds, which may do the job In terms of blocking light and providing privacy but I would also consider dress curtains just for added interest.
  • Claire Mcqueen
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks for the replies, will start looking at curtains, rugs etc today. I've been gifted an electric fire but the only place to mount it would be under the tv so not sure about that yet. I would like to buy a new sofa but they're less than a year old (although cat damaged now) so I'm looking at cheaper options first.

• Claire Mcqueen
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

http://www.dfs.co.uk/topic/opc13hrvv#OJIe8KgWIF4LyWlZ.97 I'm looking at this sofa if anyone can offer an opinion on colour? I have 2 teenage kids and we all have quite different tastes. I like bold colours but I've had to tone down my taste because the kids don't like it so we've ended up with a bland house lacking personality!

• AMB
    6 år siden
    The kids can have their own style in their bedrooms and when they move out. It's your house, you pay the bills so whatever you want, you have it.

I think it just needs colour and more furniture. If you can only work with what you've got then move the furniture closer together to make it cosier and pick a colour (and complementary or clashing colours, depending on your style) to accessorise with. Think, curtains, throws, cushions, rugs, pictures on the wall, vases, jars, candles, books, and flowers.
    Claire Mcqueen thanked AMB
  • AMB
    6 år siden
    I would also say that the focal point in the room at the moment is that large cage in the corner. You might want to move that elsewhere if you can.
    Claire Mcqueen thanked AMB
  • PRO
    Paintforme
    6 år siden

Hi Claire,

Painting the walls should be marked as priority! Brown floor and blue sofa...shades of grey and green, as well as blue would work well together. If you like bold colours, but the kids don't...use TV wall as feature wall - use bold/bolder, remaining walls do in pale green or grey. You could remove dado rail which doesn't run all around. Ceiling and coving and woodwork in white.

You could possibly change the blinds!

Light fitting could then be adjusted to fulfill the design. It doesn't have to be expensive one, there are plenty of affordable super looking options too. Armchair with round coffee table and a plant would help. Bring all furniture away from walls.

And the TV is definitely too high.

So, is that a good starting point?

Good luck!

Paintforme

Claire Mcqueen thanked Paintforme
  • A S
    6 år siden
    Hi,

Maybe the kids can't visualise the bold colours working hence the reluctance.

I certainly think the room needs the injection of boldness/ colour. I like the sofa colour you have selected and think it can work well with the floor and grey walls.

Before making an expensive decision of purchasing the sofa, maybe add colour through rugs curtains cushions, painting the walls and see how you feel about the room.

I too love colour!

All the best!
    Claire Mcqueen thanked A S
  • Claire Mcqueen
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I like blues/greens/yellows. The kids put together a rough edit to show me what they like. I can't change the blinds as just paid a lot of money for them but could buy some curtains.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 år siden

I like slate or sky colour of this sofa. Rug is too small for space. Put at least front legs of sofa on rug.

Claire Mcqueen thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Carolina
    6 år siden

Hi, could you pull the sofa on the right forward, like in the photo shown? That will make your living space cosier and you'll be able to reach the coffee table from the sofa. I'd choose a bold coloured rug with blues and/or greens in it.

The TV is up too high (as mentioned by others too) and it needs something under it.

Clairemont Whole House Renovation · Mere information

• Carolina
    6 år siden

For example...

Claire Mcqueen thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    6 år siden

Or...

• Karen Brown
    6 år siden

Cheap ikea units with Ikea bridging cupboard doors fixed on! If on a budget like me!

• Carolina
    6 år siden

Rug from Ikea

• Karen Brown
    6 år siden

Carolina, I want your app! Can you tell me what it is, do you recommend it x

• Carolina
    6 år siden
    @ Karen Brown, I use Photoshop. Not an app, but a computer program :-)
  • PRO
    Inkmill Vinyl
    6 år siden

How about a statement gallery wall like the one created here by interior designers Topology London with our hexagon wall pattern. Easy to apply with no messy wallpaper paste and creates a great background to your artwork. Have a look a the blog for the full details.

Topology London | How to create a statement gallery wall

Statement Wall by Interior Designers Topology London · Mere information

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.