simba467

Decorating our living room

simba467
6 år siden
Hi, we have a south-west facing living room in an old unloved flat that we're renovating. The only natural light comes from patio doors out to the garden at one end and we have big trees surrounding our garden. As a result it gets very little natural light in the morning and only a small amount more in the afternoon.

We have yellowish artificial light from the chandelier and other lights in the room.

We're trying to figure out what colour(s) would work best and, from what we've read, feel that neutrals with warm tones (red/yellow undertones) would be best. We're going to order some samples but if anyone is able to give any advice that would be great.

Thanks

Simon

(5) kommentarer

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 år siden

I would go with butter or cream (white warm) ,or beige colors.

• Jonathan
    6 år siden
    Your electric light will make creams look yellow and magnolia to look peach. The poor daylight will make white, blue and some pinks look cold.
    Personally I would pressure wash the patio or add pale gravel outside to help reflect in a little more daylight- painting the room a pale colour never creates extra light.
    Instead I would paint the room in a green tones neutral such as Dulux Stone Green. Then the room will need some light accessories- add mirrors and pictures, a sofa throw and an oversized houseplant and you will be ready to go
  • PRO
    User
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

I personally would have thought that if you have limited natural light coming in, then to maximize it indoors you would first need natural daylight white bulbs in the lighting that's on during the daytime. ( Ceiling lights and spots ).

You can have warmer lighting at night by the use of lamps etc with warm white bulbs for a cosier feel.

Keeping surface light and airy would involve the lighter cooler colours such as cool whites, cool greys, pale blues or yellows.

Once you start going down the warmer natural tones, the light will start getting zapped out.

Add some soft furnishings as contrast colours, mustard and white work particularly well with grey. Put down a rug. ( have a tidy round and de-clutter ),

I think the soft furnishings are lacking and it just needs an inject of colour and life.

Once you turn off the Chandelier lights in the illustration above and put on the angled Standard lamp, or lamps on side table for instance, using the warm white bulbs, the yellows will become warmer and cosier looking.

• PRO
    Architectural & interior designer
    6 år siden

Hi,

I did the same design you can see the image before and after . a living room in UK

• PRO
    Inkmill Vinyl
    6 år siden

How about a statement gallery wall like the one created here by interior designers Topology London with our hexagon wall pattern. Easy to apply with no messy wallpaper paste and creates a great background to your artwork. Have a look a the blog for the full details.

Topology London | How to create a statement gallery wall

Statement Wall by Interior Designers Topology London · Mere information

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.