amanda1000000

5 yo daughter's bedroom

amanda1000000
6 år siden

Hi

We are decorating our 5 year old daughter's bedroom. She wants pink and I've eventually given in! Sorry for state of photos - mid painting with Dulux Spring rose. Not sure if we should have a darker wall or not. Tried pretty pink and it's looked a bit purple-y.

Trying to work out layout of furniture. Not sure whether to put bed sticking out of long wall or between wardrobes or along the long wall, probably sticking out of long wall as she suffers from dizzy spells when she vomits so it's easier if we can get to both sides of the bed.. Will probably get stuff from IKEA - have looked at ALEX/LINNMON and MALM in white. We think she would enjoy a desk area as she love writing and drawing - and it would have places for all her paper and pens and certificates etc. Also she has a CD player and CDs. OR maybe more a vanity/desk area with a mirror and her girly stuff - hundreds of hairclips, lipbalm etc? Perhaps this should be in the corner near the larger window. Or a den area with one of those canopies and her books. Would be nice to have a big mirror too as she comes into our room to use ours! And a clock as she is starting to learn to tell the time.

She has fairy bedding from Dunelm and wants the matching curtains so it is going to be pale pink EVERYWHERE! But there's at least bits of turquoise and darker pink.

There are a lot of pine built in wardrobes which I think would look better painted white but I'm a bit scared it's too big a task and might not look great. Would I need to paint the insides too and all the bits round the outsides of the drawers. I wondered if I could find some fairy stickers for each large door to put on after or for the walls.

We also need a high up place to charge her cochlear implants (as she is deaf) away from little brother. Also she loves her books so a normal bookcase or one of those kids/display ones?

Any help would be appreciated so much, I want to make this a lovely space for her.

Thank you.

(11) kommentarer

• Jonathan
    6 år siden
    I agree that the pine would be better painted a soft white. You can add more colour with curtains and a rug and perhaps wall stickers too
    amanda1000000 thanked Jonathan
  • amanda1000000
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Chloeloves, thank you so much. I will dare to start on the painting!! We did the fireplace in the lounge so I know how much work it is! I've had someone offline suggest putting the desk/vanity type thing between the wardrobes so it sounds like that is a good idea. I was a little worried about it looking really cluttered when you walk in the room. Maybe more a dressing table with mirror above versus a desk with shelves above?

Jonathan, thanks for the layout! I tried moving the bed around and did like it positioned up by the window like you suggest, the room feels more open that way.

Do you think books should do above desk or on separate bookshelf.

Do you think the desk should be made (we know a good carpenter) and painted same as wardrobes or should I get a 120cm like the Malm one from IKEA to slot in?

Could paint doorhandles different colour?

Also was planning on using same curtain poles as rest of house - chrome - but haven't got much space between window and wardrobe so am a bit worried it won't look right. We had white tracks before. Any suggestions?

Thank you all!

• amanda1000000
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

PS What would a soft white be?

• Juliet Docherty
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Hi there, what a lovely room. Are you replacing the carpet? I would also recommend painting the wardrobe and then the wall in between a deeper colour and building in shelves across for displaying her things. I would use an off white with pink as I find pale pink and white very cold. Take a look at this image which is of an analogous palette of pink, purple, red and orange. Very funky and beautiful, especially when teamed with lots of neutral.

Chelsea Family Home · Mere information

amanda1000000 thanked Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Mi Decor
    6 år siden

amanda1000000 thanked Mi Decor
  • amanda1000000
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you colourhappy, we are planning to do the carpet at some point but not sure whether it's worth waiting until she is older as there's nothing terribly wrong with it.

• PRO
    Inkmill Vinyl
    6 år siden

Hi Amanda,

I think you should be brave and paint the wardrobes as you can choose a colour that blends better with your shade of pink than the stained pine.

I also like ColourHappy's idea of painting the space between the wardrobe a different colour.

There are 2 blogs on our website which have some great ideas for decorating kids rooms.

Amazing Teenage Bedroom Ideas

How to decorate a nursery with vinyl decals

Both blogs are packed full of ideas on colours, themes and really creative designs for kid's rooms. Hope they are helpful for you.

Good luck with your decorating project.

• amanda1000000
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

What do you think of this? Would it be too imposing in the position agreed above? http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2627649 I know she would love it!

• amanda1000000
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    We painted it!!! Still needs a top coat but definitely looking better. It's little green shirting oil eggshell with zinnser BIN underneath.
  • claire morgan
    6 år siden

Looks gd, I was wondering if you thought about adding another colour to break up the white & pink? It might be nice idea as she could grow into the room so that it still gives it that young / teen feel.

I would put the bed in-between the wardrobe and have a long desk where she can do homework/ paint / read etc- I would make it a bit fun and have shelves above it.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.