samayyz

Which backsplash?

samayyz
6 år siden
We originally thought to do subway tile backsplash but decided it looked a bit to bland. So now we have narrowed down it down between these two choices. I prefer the grey and stainless steel but am worried it will make the kitchen look too dark.

(46) kommentarer

• R. Laree
    6 år siden

I like A for the short term, but long term I'd go with B. They both look good, but B flows with the counter top really well.

samayyz thanked R. Laree
  • Kathryn P
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Typically I don't love the glass and stainless steel look, but I think it looks really lovely here. It seems to reflect a lot of light too!

samayyz thanked Kathryn P
  • simstress
    6 år siden
    Cream and grey
    samayyz thanked simstress
  • lwfromny
    6 år siden
    Of these two, I think the second is way better. The first will look dated much faster and the colors in the second look really good with your other finishes.
    samayyz thanked lwfromny
  • luvcolor10b
    6 år siden

B - perfect choice. Calm and relaxing, perfect scale and coloration for the long run.

samayyz thanked luvcolor10b
  • lwfromny
    6 år siden
    Glad you're here Flo :). I almost said the same thing but was feeling bad about it so I deleted it and just voted B. But I agree with you that mosaic is not the ideal choice. Just don't know if OP has the energy to consider going another route...
    samayyz thanked lwfromny
  • jbtanyderi
    6 år siden
    The lighter one will keep you satisfied longer.
    samayyz thanked jbtanyderi
  • samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    2x8 doesn't look good in my kitchen which is rather small. It needs to either be standard tile size. I will take a picture of the entire kitchen wall with the dimensions tomorrow so you can get a better look.
  • Lois B
    6 år siden
    Personally, I like the first one. But the second one is closer to a classic and therefore safer choice. Good Luck!
    samayyz thanked Lois B
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år siden
    You could also lay the longer tiles vertically. That would be cool look for you!
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    6 år siden

The gray glass mosaic is great choice with the cabinets and counters; it's not dark at all and brings everything together.

samayyz thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • AC LB
    6 år siden
    Cream ones look great! The glass will look dated soon.
    samayyz thanked AC LB
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 år siden

The grey tiles have a mother of pearl appearance and don't look appropriate with the simple classic selections in the kitchen.

A plain stainless mosaic might work with your current selections.

This white backsplash might be successful.

http://www.statementstile.com/pages/product.asp?mg={674194BD-4D7D-466C-AFD0-1BAB240F8B26}

samayyz thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Trem Wills
    6 år siden
    Second option
    samayyz thanked Trem Wills
  • samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Okay here are the measurements and pics of the room. I checked tile bar and I didn't see anything I like. My husband is also very particular and doesn't like patterns or colors so it's very hard for us both to agree on something. I will run to my local big box store later and see if I can find something more contemporary. I have put off completing my kitchen for 1 yr because we can't agree o on backsplash so at this point I just want a completed kitchen.
  • samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Sorry I missed a side
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 år siden

i prefer the first one, but in a limited way. when i see your whole kitchen, it would be Too Much. go with the second, or a larger format of a similar color.

everything, Everything, EVERYTHING is already dated or will be dateable. its the nature of the beast. pick what you really like that looks good.

samayyz thanked Judy Mishkin
  • creative6938
    6 år siden

second option

samayyz thanked creative6938
  • PRO
    A1 Plus Stone Design inc
    6 år siden

B .... blends in better and you wont have issues with some stainless steel eventually getting stain spots no cleaning them.

samayyz thanked A1 Plus Stone Design inc
  • chloebud
    6 år siden

Of the two choices, I would go with B. Both seem fairly busy and will pull a lot of focus to the backsplash. However, that may be your preference which is what matters.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år siden

TIP, with the outside edge of window wall, plan now for how you will finish these edges. A pencil edge might be too big for the depth of your backsplash, so you might need a "Schluter" metal edge and that has to be installed BEFORE your backsplash tile.

samayyz thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år siden

Looks like two sides will end at ends of walls. Get that figured out before you do anything with tile backsplash. Can't fix it after. Or at least not easily.

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 år siden

1st option - bold & works

2nd option - perfect flow of colors.

samayyz thanked Designer Drains
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 år siden

Are you planning to install lighting under your cabinets? Because the quality of light from the spheres is not necessarily light you can successfully work under.

• Lachlan Cowan
    6 år siden
    this splashback works although it has a flakier benchtops
    samayyz thanked Lachlan Cowan
  • samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    If we choose the stainless steel backsplash we planned on going with metal edging. Right now I just need to pick a backsplash so the workers can come in and finish off the kitchen.
  • samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    That white backsplash looks nice, if I can find it I will get it. The problem comes in because there are so many different colors of white and I need it to match with the countertop white quartz.

Under cabinet lighting is an option but so far the light in the kitchen works well for me.
  • PRO
    Designs by TAP
    6 år siden

If you're planning to sell your house then worry about fads, otherwise go with what you like. The first one has a lot of sparkle so it will draw more attention and give your kitchen a flashy look. The second one is more neutral and a grey grout that matches the cabinets would pull it all together really nice. So if you want flashy go with A but B is probably a better choice for long term.

samayyz thanked Designs by TAP
  • PRO
    moico inc.
    6 år siden

I would go with the second one and use a darker grout to make it more interesting and content w/the cabs.

samayyz thanked moico inc.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år siden

To clarify just a bit, what I was saying about the "edging" is you will need some type of "finishing" edge on the edges that don't terminate into a wall. That appears to be the one edge on the far left and far right, if I am seeing the space correctly. So, no matter which tile you select, you need a "finishing edge tile or metal of some kind. Just putting grout and/or caulking doesn't give a good finished look. Hope that makes things a bit more clear. Also, the small tiles are a real bear to cut straight so be careful about that issue as well if you are installing yourself. Do be careful.

• samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I am going to go pick up some of the tiles that were recommended and take pictures of how they look. We are not installing these tiles ourselves, they are being done professionally. White tile with grey grout would tie everything together. I don't have plans on selling my house anytime soon unless I hit the lottery.

• simstress
    6 år siden

Some info about the edging, in case you're not already aware... If you are going with the metal edging, begin looking at the options for those now. You will need to select from various metal finishes and solid colors. The thickness of the edging will need to be coordinated with the thickness of the tile you choose. The metal edging will need to be on site when tiling begins because the edging is installed, then the tiles go on top. Good luck!

samayyz thanked simstress
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 år siden

Schluter Edge

• samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Okay so I went with Home Depot and looked and the tile selections you recommended and once I got there I knew those would not go with my countertops. One had to be ordered by the case only, no samples so unfortunately that one was not an option. So that leads me back to my above options.

I think most of you are right in that the glass and metal is more of a fad and that the white with grey will stand the test of time.

Sorry pro's for my tile selection. I know you all hate them and think they are dated unfortunately that can not be helped at this time. I am frustrated with trying to pick a backsplash for over a year now and I just wanted a completed kitchen. It's been a long entire house remodel that is still ongoing but having at least one room completed will make me feel a sense of accomplishment. Thank you for your input.

Now to decide on grout and yes the edging. Not sure what to pick now that I decided on the safer white and grey tile.
  • samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you BeveryFlaDeziner for all your links, advice and help. Thank your to all the pro's and general advice given on this thread it has been very helpful. I will be sure to post before and after photos once the kitchen is fully complete.

Here is a link to silver tile, so you can get a better look. The tile is predominately glass with steel scattered throughout.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-Court-Ice-Pencil-11-7-8-in-x-13-in-x-8-mm-Glass-Metal-Mosaic-Tile-99479/206671755

• lwfromny
    6 år siden
    I don't think anyone hates it at all :). I actually like it quite a bit which surprises me because I usually hate mosaic tile lol. People were just thinking maybe they could help you get something that will "last" somewhat longer. But I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself when I say I totally get what it's like to just need to be DONE. You and your husband love it and agree on it and that's what really matters. Can't wait to see photos!
  • sheilaskb
    6 år siden

I believe the second one is better. However, have you considered using white subway tile and then adding a border in an accent color?

• samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    We actually began the project adamant in our agreement in the subway tile then once we stuck some in a pattern on the wall hated and thought No too boring. Using the glass and metal as a order does sound like an excellent idea however.
  • PRO
    Napanee Design Ltd.
    6 år siden

I would go with the 2nd option, it's contemporary look will last much longer for the future.

• PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    6 år siden

If it is only between the two above, go with the second option.

Royal York Renovation and Decoration · Mere information

• brizcs
    6 år siden
    If the kitchen wall space you are needing to cover with backsplash is an irregular one with lots of corners and height changes then a darker tile that contrasts strongly can read as a strange shaped blob from a distance. Ditto paint. Your horizontal surfaces are more visible close up but the vertical elements are part of the long view of the space. Yours looks pretty straight forward (as viewed on my
    tiny phone screen!) so options are wider.
  • PRO
    A1 Plus Stone Design inc
    6 år siden
    I think option b cream and Gray gave more contrast with cabinets and counters tops. I love that combination.
  • Anjelina W
    6 år siden
    B no doubt. But.........not the best yet....I will go with bigger tiles. It's too small.
  • samayyz
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    I am working on finding these in a bigger size. It's hard to get the right color match. I ordered a couple of samples and none of them are right.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.