anna_shaw40

Kitchen design help - feels cold/soulless

Anna Shaw
6 år siden

This is the proposed design of our new kitchen. The plan is to have the cabinets a light grey colour and the benches either concrete or a darker grey stone. We love metal and want to incorporate that into the kitchen too, as it is being used through out our build.

I am concerned that the kitchen feels a little soulless - where cooking dreams come to die. Need some opinions ideas as I have looked at it for just too long.

(8) kommentarer

• C P
    6 år siden
    i like it, love the layout and the legs on the ends. what is your flooring? if its timber it will appear warmer. What are you planning for splashback?
  • girlguides
    6 år siden
    Where is your fridge going ? I presume the pantry is where the shelving at the RHS is?
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 år siden

The back wall/cooker area is a large featureless space. Aside from the range hood of course.

Make this big wall a feature by using timber cladding, tiles to ceiling, etc.

What are you using on wall between cook top and range, tiles, stainless steel, etc? A whole wall in that material could be cool!

Beware of to much grey, it can become bland. Its popular at the moment but is starting to move to other colours. Grey will stay but in lesser amount's.

What about a Navy Blue or Charcoal for cabinets?

• Anna Shaw
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks for the feedback:

- The opening near the sink is a walk-in-pantry (large) and my fridge will be in here.

- On the right where the open shelves are will be a desk area for the kids to do their homework etc and a broom cupboard.

- The flooring will be recycled Tasmanian Oak - lots of old nail holes etc

MB Design - I have know idea what to use as a splashback!! I love the idea of feature wall, but not sure what to use - any ideas or pictures greatly appreciated.

- I like the idea or charcoal cabinets but am weary as in another house we had back cabinetry and is was horrible to keep clean.

- originally we were going to have floating wooden shelves either side of the rangehood, but because of the cavity slider door on the left, we cant.

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 år siden

Get another opinion on the floating shelves, some will say no, some will same yes.

They'll make a big difference to that area.

Use floor boards horizontal above the shelves and a stainless splash back ?

• PRO
    Lick Light + Colour
    6 år siden
    I would do the island as one monolithic piece / colour then break the rest of the joinery up with some timber , it will really warm it up . It does not need to match the floor , I like the comment about using a tile for the whole back wall , too make it cheaper you can always have the wall painted a feature colour then do a glass splash back the same colour so u don't see where it stops and starts
  • Country House Gal
    6 år siden
    Have you thought about using pressed tin on the wall behind the stove? There are some more modern designs available these days if that's your style. You could leave if raw or paint it any colour you like.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.