pauljhyde

Colour advice - dark wood skirting/grey wall/warm oak floor

pauljhyde
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

Hi All :) Seeking advice on wall colours for our brand new home. Victorian weatherboard circa 1912 construction. Looking to contemporarise a little but maintain the character. Room 1 (pictured) is going to be our lounge room / den. We have beautiful original floorboards throughout that are very warm which contrasts with the dark skirting, fireplace and picture rail. The tiling is a maroon which is probably why the original owners went with that for the walls, but it's a little full on for us. Furniture neutral as we don't have anything so just looking for thoughts on colour for the walls. Thinking a light grey up until the picture rails then white above. Do you guys think we need to paint out the skirting boards and fireplace wood to a white as well? Hoping not too so we keep the dark wood feel... will the dark wood go with the grey?

(17) kommentarer

• bigreader
    6 år siden
    What gorgeous wood? Hope you can keep it too. Not too sure about the grey.
  • PRO
    Designers WTF (Wild Taste and Fast-paced)
    6 år siden

I think you can go and paint the skirting boards and the outlet above it with a lighter shade of maroon or a cream toned colour/nude toned color that matches with maroon. You can also try to edit it on Photoshop so that you can see how it will mix with the feel of your fireplace and with the whole room as well.

• siriuskey
    6 år siden

love the wood, paint the wall above the skirting including the picture rail and then white above including the ceiling, thinking a little bit lighter grey as the colour you have posted looks very blue. We painted rooms in a Federation house like this (was advised by our painter , looks great and makes the fireplace pop. cheers

• Susan Vale
    6 år siden
    At my last house I used a grey green with a dark wood that had red undertones. It was a traditional colour but lighter. When painting to compliment wood I draw inspiration from natures palate.
  • Tracy Oliver
    6 år siden
    Maybe a warmer grey, or "greige" would work. I'm planning on doing my bedroom in Dulux Silver Tea Set (sample below). I'm hoping it will work with my warm wood furniture...
  • frostygrrl
    6 år siden

i painted a swatch of snow season. it looks great but promise hubby to be bright and light

• Shelley
    6 år siden
    I love the grey and think it would work well with the wood fireplace. We have a similar vintage house and we white washed the floors.
  • scottevie
    6 år siden

We have dulux chanson in a bathroom and aerobus is darker still -I definitely wouldn't call it a 'light' grey and it is also a very blue-grey shade. It does look great against white, so could work ok if you decided to paint skirting boards/fireplace.

i would suggest looking at dulux manorburn (NZ range) and paint as suggested by siriuskey. Or try some samples of colours from the neutrals range against the wood trim.

• siriuskey
    6 år siden

are the doors and frames still timber,

• PRO
    Dulux Paint
    6 år siden

I would recommend a warmer mid tone grey...Explore our Colour Atlas online as there's pages of options in these warmer greys...https://www.dulux.com.au/specifier/colour/greys

https://www.dulux.com.au/specifier/colour/naturals

https://www.dulux.com.au/specifier/colour/neutrals

• PRO
    Reclaim your space
    6 år siden

What natural light do you get in the room/what orientation? i.e. is it a 'cold' or 'warm' room?

If it's a colder room, I'd go with a grey with orange/red undertones to warm it up a bit, or if it's a warm room you could get away with a cooler grey, maybe green undertones to compliment the maroon. Or you could even try a green rather than grey.

The Aerobus is a blueish grey so will be cooler. As others have said you would probably want a lighter tone than this for the walls (unless you're purposely going for a dark dramatic mood). 'Miller Mood' is a couple of shades up in the Colour Atlas.

Get sample pots and paint a section on each wall, or paint a white bit of card and stick to the wall to see how the light is at different times of day.

• girlguides
    6 år siden
    I like the dulux naturals colours eg natural wool
  • Sean
    6 år siden
    Don't paint your dark wood trims if you like them - you will never have the energy to strip them if you paint them and don't like it. I think the wood and the grey will look good but go for a slightly lighter shade. Good luck
  • PRO
    Lick Light + Colour
    6 år siden

Don't touch the wood, I'm sure you have it running through the whole house, its a great feature. Im not a fan of grey its very cold and unfriendly to live with. Use a colour that has some grey in it , or what I call ¨dirty colours¨ they don't date and are much softer on the walls.

• legendaryflame
    6 år siden

Please don't paint your skirting or fireplace surrounds. They are beautiful and give your house character! I am a fan of colour not grey but I agree the maroon walls are much too heavy. I would go a soft green or a warm cream probably. I suggest playing around with colour samples and seeing what looks good in your room.

• Sarah Beutel
    6 år siden
    Paint the skirtings and fireplace white. I love that grey that you've chosen. It has blue tones which will go great with the maroon tiles and jarrah floorboards
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.