sam_jarrett

Small Garden Help!

Sam
6 år siden
Just moved to a Victorian terrace in need of updating. The bathroom and kitchen have just been completed, now that the summer is (sort of) here we want to make the garden more habitable.

Current layout is: accessible from side of house alley, brick patio, wall with planters and low gate (gate now removed), small lawn, concrete path to brick-built shed.

We have started taking down the wall separators, garden felt too small. Weed killer has worked it's magic on the overgrown lawn and will be putting new turf.

We want to keep the current brick patio, it would be nice to have some lawn, but apart from that we don't know how to begin the design prJust moved to a Victorian terrace in need of updating. The bathroom and kitchen have just been completed, now that the summer is (sort of) here we want to make the garden more habitable.

Current layout is: accessible from side of house alley, brick patio, wall with planters and low gate (gate now removed), small lawn, concrete path to brick-built shed.

We have started taking down the wall separators, garden felt too small. Weed killer has worked it's magic on the overgrown lawn and will be putting new turf.

We want to keep the current brick patio, it would be nice to have bit of lawn, but apart from that we don't know how to begin the design process! Any creative landscaping ideas out in the Houzz community?

ps any tips on how to start making that shed weather proof would be good!

(3) kommentarer

• PRO
    Touch Landscapes
    6 år siden
    Hi Sam,

If those are fruit and veg you have growing close to the house, why not make more of this and develop your own herb garden as well? Herbs typically need a sunny spot so bare this in mind.

You have a smart new shed/home office - perhaps update the fences as well or if budget doesn't permit, disguise them with plants, especially climbers, such as jasmine or paint them.

I think you're on the right track with either making good or replacing the internal walls. Good luck with the project, I'm sure it will lovely when it's finished.
    Sam thanked Touch Landscapes
  • rachelmidlands
    6 år siden
    Hi Sam, you've made a good start with taking the wall lower down. I agree that it makes the garden look smaller. I don't think you'll need to do much to make it look good. Firstly I would concentrate on the brick patio. Give it a good clean with pressure washer and re mortar the jointing. Should come up a treat. Also not keen on the concrete slips that are on the step up to the patio (can see in bottom left of first photo), perhaps you could re use the bricks from the wall to replace these and build slightly higher than the patio but leave a gap for entry.
    Can see that the wall between lawn and patio (even now its lower) can be used for a raised bed, I'd continue to do this and plant in it a good variety of low growing alpines, ajuga and campanula spring to mind. Other than that, paint the fence and shed, new turf and some potted plants and it should look good.
    When you say the shed isn't weather proof is the roof leaking? Is there any guttering? Seems like a solid building so could be that it just needs new roofing felt unless there's rising damp issues?
    Anyway hope to have been of some help.
    Sam thanked rachelmidlands
  • Sam
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I never thanked you both for your feedback! I just wanted to give an update on what we've done in a year, here is one photo from just one angle, but such a huge difference!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.