kimberleyschucker

Curb appeal needed!

I would like advise on how to improve the front of my house. Beautiful lake view in the back, nice yard and mature trees up front....but very boring! The roof has a one directional slope and the low side is in the front. Siding is vinyl.
Looking forward to your ideas!!!
Thanks!

(17) kommentarer

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 år siden

Are you changing the color of the house? If so I would go with khaki or sage green. Nicer garage doors and service door would be great. But the biggest impact would come from new hardscape and landscaping. The driveway and sidewalk need a major update. I would get a professional plan that incorporates the much needed landscaping. You can then add new lights, pots of flowers, etc.

kimberleyschucker thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • acm
    6 år siden

Yeah, I'd only say a couple of tweaks to the house -- more substantial capping around the windows, paint the downspouts to match the siding, brighter door color. But you can achieve a TON with good landscaping, from a curving walkway to beds with different types of vegetation and color. It will hide the utilities, make the entrance more obvious, and give shape and interest to both the house and yard. If you get a good plan, you can always put it in place over a few years.

kimberleyschucker thanked acm
  • kimberleyschucker
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    The utilities up front bother me a lot! Apparently it's a much bigger job to move them aside than I imagined because I keep getting discouraging looks when I mention moving the AC unit!
  • apple_pie_order
    6 år siden

You can put a screen around your a/c unit. Check the manual for the distance between screen and unit. It could be as simple as a single panel of white ready-made lattice nicely framed between unit and sidewalk.

Replace missing window screen on the one window for a unified look.

New driveway and landscaping will make a world of difference, as suggested above.

kimberleyschucker thanked apple_pie_order
  • DH
    6 år siden
    I think you have a mid century vibe with tons of potential. The updates I'm seeing for those are REALLY bright colorful doors like bright orange and neon green. Fences/screens with horizontal elements, and low maintenance landscaping. Will look for a few photos.
    kimberleyschucker thanked DH
  • PRO
    Enguita Construction
    6 år siden

New garage doors with upper windows, some small pavers lining driveway with small bushes/flowers, or small solar lights to line pathway? You could add some hanging succulents, and maybe a bird bath. You have so much potential here!

kimberleyschucker thanked Enguita Construction
  • kimberleyschucker thanked DH
  • PRO
    User
    6 år siden

Landscaping goes a long way for much needed curb appeal. Some colorful plants, maybe wild flowers since you're by a lake, and add some more lighting in the walkways.

The Flooring Blog

The Couture Floor Company

• PRO
    Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
    6 år siden

The photos show three groupings of doors and the "front" door is the least obvious. Consider an entry courtyard using garden walls or planting beds with a gate or entry trellis to guide visitor's attention to the front door. Developing the driveway approach to give it some character and again to guide visitors toward the entry. Provide landscaped guest parking and perhaps begin to screen the secondary entrances.

If possible, I would recommend relocating the AC unit to the side yard. If not, then the entry courtyard can be used to disguise it.

A pergola structure can also be used as a part of a entry court to reinforce the status of the entry.

kimberleyschucker thanked Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
  • kimberleyschucker
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Fabulous ideas! Love the idea of an entry courtyard as well as horizontal screening of the AC unit.
  • Kate
    6 år siden
    I am a Minnesotan (land of 10,000 lakes etc) and this is a classic lakefront home issue. Everything is about the lakeside and so the front of your house ends up with a lot of tradition backyard features. Easy to say move the gas meter, electric and AC but for the same price or less you can camouflage and do a lot of landscaping. If you are on a budget (and who isn't really?) make a cover for the Ac unit. Think about shutters, additional gravel for the drive, easy to maintain perennial gardens between the walkway and the house. And take that shrub out from the corner in front of the post. I don't quite understand the placement of the lamppost. I would move it down then drive or eliminate it entirely in favor or more substantial lighting mounted to the house around the garage and front door. If the budget is bigger I would consider widening the walkway. If you are really going for broke budget wise I would re-side the entire house in vertical siding rather than the narrow horizontal vinyl that only serves to bring attention to the long and low look of the house.
    kimberleyschucker thanked Kate
  • kimberleyschucker
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Doing this as a start!

• flopsycat1
    6 år siden

You've gotten some great ideas. Just no shutters, please.

kimberleyschucker thanked flopsycat1
  • mmc429
    sidste år

Looks fabulous and thanks for the follow up here! We Love to see progress on posts!

• jck910
    sidste år
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}sidste år

Looking great. It's. 's always nice to see how an OP incorporates suggestions made about their dilemma.great.It's always nice to see how an OP incorporates suggestions made about their dilemma.

• RedRyder
    sidste år

Looks AMAZING! Well done!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.