cecblake

Incomplete lounge room- please help!

cecblake
6 år siden
Hi there! I've recently "almost" completed my lounge room, a 7 year project which I'm "almost" happy with. There's just one side left which is bugging me and would love to read some suggestions. The only rules are 1) no tv (a rule imposed by hubby) and 2) nothing overly expensive as we're a single income family with 3 kids under 10.
Here are pictures of the nice side and the ghastly side decorated by my kids .
Please help me!
I've thought of wallpaper on the wall but what type?
Thanks a lot, looking forward to your ideas .

(23) kommentarer

• Julie Herbert
    6 år siden
    I think your artwork is throwing your colour scheme out, maybe an abstract including red would tie it all in, agree with oskuee 's comments less is more. Just a tweak here and there will give you the look you are after
  • siriuskey
    6 år siden

Perhaps a nice mirror over the side board to replace art, agree with above make the other end the "Kids" space with some storage baskets and the pink chairs with small table cheers

• annb1997
    6 år siden

I also agree with other comments. I think there might be a bit too much red in the room. I'd be tempted to replace two of the red geometric cushions with plain blue or green to tie in with colours in your artwork.

• cecblake
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thanks for your comments and advice so far. My kids have a large play room and library area all for themselves already. I'd like to keep this room for the adults, the pink chairs, toys and pink car is not part of the intended decor . So I would like some ideas without a "kids corner" please.
    Yes in the photo it does look like there's too much red, doesn't look that bad in real life. But this is easily fixed by removing some cushions as suggested.
  • KK1000
    6 år siden

You could get couple of this armchairs from IKEA and a small table in between and put it under the white shelf instead of toys.

• Ruth BT
    6 år siden
    I would say what is lacking in most houses today - books! Why not make that wall a simple library that the kids can use as well. The big stereo? Is this going? We have swapped out our stereo for a small Bose Bluetooth speaker and it's amazing. We don't have a tv in our lounge room either.
  • Julie Herbert
    6 år siden

I would have a statement chair and a beautiful lamp and side table , a gorgeous artwork and that would make a beautiful area and dress up your shelf with some lovely pieces that you love.

Spruce Street · Mere information

Скандинавия с тремя детским. · Mere information

Arne Jacobsen Design · Mere information

Karboxx Lighting · Mere information

• cecblake
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    We already have a statement chair beside the lounge but I could move it. We also have an arc lamp which goes over the lounge and it wouldn't fit under the existing shelf. Perhaps I could move the side table with the orange lamp to this space? Otherwise won't it be too many lamps and sidetables in the room? Ruth BT- there are many books already inside the back storage shelves, maybe you can't see them. Also the kids already have their own "library" in both their play room as well as in another bookshelf we have beside our piano in another room. So there are plenty of books in our house .
  • sarah_eddy6
    6 år siden

What a great room, it's such a nice size and I'd love to have a no-TV policy in our loungeroom.. I might add that to my list of battles to pick ; D

I agree, you've got a great neutral base in most of your furniture, but an accent colour should be used sparingly. It grabs your eye which is great, but if too many accent coloured pieces all around the room can make your eye jump around the room from one to the other as it's taking the room in and so makes it feel busier and erratic, rather than calm. But it's easy to tweak to get the balance right!

It's your home though that should reflect you... but if it was me I would:

1. Cluster the reds on your lounge into 1 or 2 spots, so cluster your cushions (you may have to remove a couple) as you have on the far left of your lounge. Just do another arrangement like this on one side of the other lounge. Remove the throw rug and pouffe, and definitely the fruit bowl, the other coffee table trinkets are lovely and this distracts from them.
    2. Remove the vases, trinkets and frames on your buffet, maybe just leave one nice low dish, or a little group of 3 things: one favourite photo, a candle and a dish; or alternatively a short stack of a couple of coffee table books.
    3. Move that amazing egg/swan chair I can spy in the foreground!! It's such a great feature piece, it deserves to be on it's own, so I'd put that on the opposite wall on the right hand corner, remove that black frame, put some books along the top shelf above, perhaps a little side table (if not too cluttered) such as this one http://www.kmart.com.au/product/side-table---natural/1178832, only $19 so budget-friendly, it mirrors your coffee table and adds in a bit of timber softness to break up the black, white and red which risks being too tonally stark and suits the MCM style of the chair, without competing with it. You could even keep your red pouffe here if you don't want to part with it.
    4. Then re wall art, sometimes you need to have a play to see what works, so a few options to try: a) Move the painting that is above your buffet and try it on your new reading nook wall. Hard to judge whether it would work, but it would define your little reading nook nicely and break up the stark colours. I think it could work! b)Alternatively, if it doesn't work, you could get some photos in white frames (Ikea's ones are lovely and reasonably priced) (even the photos that are currently on your buffet!?) and do a little gallery wall on this new reading nook wall. Again, keep it simple as a centred cluster on that wall but it could look lovely and be a nice feature to have family photos in a family room! c) Or finally, Those 2 vintage-style prints (one is a Sydney poster - love it!), could be great on your new reading nook wall, the style would look great against your retro red chair, add a bit of tonal softness and give them the attention they deserve. Then you could take the canvas currently above your buffet and put this there above the lounge. Then replace the painting (which we've moved to the other wall), with a mirror, possibly even that round timber one on the adjacent wall, if the scale works (not sure if it would be too small?). The round shape would offset the square cabinets and buffet on that wall nicely. Ta-daaa! Have a play but I think that final third option is my favourite, but you won't know til your try it!
    5. Finally, remove the 2nd pink chair near the telescope and simplify your potted plants, cluster tighter on the floor possibly, as they also look too eye catching with the various heights along with everything else.

Have fun & I'd love to see the after photos please!

• Julie Herbert
    6 år siden
    you could move your statement chair, side table and lamp to that area and leave arc lamp near couch, that could work, is your statement chair a swan chair? can't quite make it out from photo, they are one of my favourites of all time, it would look beautiful against white wall, love to see it.
  • PRO
    Wallpaper Brokers
    6 år siden

A gorgeous plain yet textured wallpaper would be perfect in the current kids space to which you could then add a statement chair or light as suggested by others!

• Gallifrey
    6 år siden
    Less is more. Remove items, it does not need any more things.
  • me me
    6 år siden
    Where did you find a hubby who doesn't want a TV in the lounge room?!
  • cecblake
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Hi to everyone who replied with some really helpful suggestions. I have finally completed my lounge room and feel so happy and relieved! Please have a look at my after photos and let me know what you think. I rearranged and used what I already had at home so there was no extra cost (except for one cushion I bought). Thanks again!
  • cecblake
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Oh and I forgot to mention (and I just know someone will) that I will eventually be getting rid of that chunky stereo system on the floor in front of the window. Just have no where else to put it at the moment .
  • annb1997
    6 år siden

Hi cecblake! Wow, what a brilliant transformation. It looks so inviting and beautiful. Well done. Enjoy and thank you for sharing your After photos! :)

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Hehe...didn't even notice it! :)

• Ruth BT
    6 år siden
    Looks fantastic! I love that Houzzers give such great feedback and that you didn’t have to spend anything (a cushion doesn’t count) to get a completely different look!
  • C P
    6 år siden
    I love that it's a no tv room but the problem is you've set the room up as though there should be a tv there. Make seating areas face windows and/or each other.
  • C P
    6 år siden
    Although just realised in your second set of photos that width of window might not make that work. I'd still think about swapping your couches around though
  • Susan Ballard
    6 år siden
    Remove the high shelf and put in open storage unit but don’t clutter it up On lowest level put in some nice storage cubes for kids stuff
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 år siden

Lovely room! Pictures need to be lower above the sofa on first photo.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.