squair

TAN TILES!

squair
6 år siden
We are buying a home with only one problem: tan floor tiles. Can we put floating wood flooring on them, or do I try to disguise the colour with decor or rugs?

(15) kommentarer

• Laura Beaupeurt
    6 år siden
    I tiled over my brown tiles with 600x600 ceramic tiles. Looks great.
  • squair
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thank you Cipriano. Yes, it would need to be a professional opinion. squair
  • squair
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Hi Laura. I appreciate your help here, in what may become a really brown bug-bear for me! I had thought about tiling over them but I assume the floor would have to be level etc before tiling; also the floor would be higher. How did the height affect your cupboards etc? squair
  • Laura Beaupeurt
    6 år siden

The floor was level. I had to sand/ plane bottom of doors but no dramas there and I didn’t have any cupboards that were affected. Given my other options of leaving or even a floating floor (I was worried about scratches as floating floors are often relatively soft), it seemed the easiest option at the time. I haven’t regretted it. My tiles are an off white with a slight pattern and glossy. I have smallish place and they give it a spaciousness because of the mirror effect of the tiles and their light colour. I may not have described them well enough but they transformed the place,

• squair
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Well you really have made a success of this project & I have hope now. This is a real possibility....... next step: convince my husband! Many many thanks for taking the time to help me with your honest advice. squair.
  • Laura Beaupeurt
    6 år siden
    A before and after photo. Not of the same area because the lounge room is a bit messy, plus wanted to give you an idea of the reflection.
  • siriuskey
    6 år siden

Hi there, Have you bought your new home yet, The photo from the Estate Agent is like many that are over coloured, so possibly tiles are a bit more soft terracotta. I quite like them as they are large and laid in a simple pattern.

The kitchen looks relatively new with white cupboards and stainless handles and has a lovely granite bench top. the only thing I would do is replace the black plinth with white or stainless laminate if you can't get the white to match the cabinets.

If you go over the top of these tiles with new ones it will reduce the height of the bench top which is not a good idea.

Do you have any more photos, congratulations on your new house if you have bought. cheers.

PS; This Dilema has posted twice

• squair
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Hi Laura. What a beautiful floor you have now. I am impressed. Thank you so much, again.
  • squair
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Hi again Sirius. Yes I inadvertently posted the dilemma twice & have ni idea how to delete one of them. Thanks for your further help. I certainly understand that the bench height would change & that would be a problem because I'm 5'11"!! The colour is pretty right. We've had 2 close inspections & are just waiting for paperwork now. It's just a difficult colour for me to accept & it is the only aspect of this beautifully built home that I am struggling with. Attached is a still from my video; the best I can do at present. squair
  • PRO
    Wallpaper Brokers
    6 år siden

there are 3 things you can do each one has pros & cons

a Tile over the existing tiles

b. Put a covering such as Vinyl over them

c. Paint over them and put a rug stunning rug on top.

• squair
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Hey Wallpaper brokers, I like your idea. I have been doing the rug search for the bigger space ie the "rumpus room" (entertainment room); the kitchen is a possibility for a wash & wear rug & the hallway can gave a runner or three!! Thanks.
    squair
  • siriuskey
    6 år siden

Hi squair, I think you worry too much, the tiles look fine and very classic,keep them, could you have the grout changed to a cement colour, but do change the black Plinth. You are going to need every
    bit of bench height you can get at 5' 11", some beautiful photos for you and not a floor rug in sight, cheers

• squair
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    I love these photos. Thank you so much! It can be done without change, that's clear. Better start doing more creative thinking hey!x
  • siriuskey
    6 år siden

very cute

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.