treubig9

Converting detached Garage into Studio in Union City , NJ

treubig9
6 år siden

Hi. We have a home with a detached garage that we want to convert into a studio. The home is a 2 family, and we would like to have the studio as part of the first floor unit. Would we need the detached garage to somehow be attached to the house? or can we just convert and have it as a detached bonus room for first floor unit?

(3) kommentarer

• geoffrey_b
    6 år siden

You home has frost footings, I imagine your garage does not - it's a slab. You cannot connect these two buildings. Additionally, the garage probably would not come up to code to get a certificate of occupancy. Forget your idea.

• mazelady
    6 år siden

I have a detached garage that I remodeled the top room into a studio. See my post 'leaning garage'. I have a slab foundation for the garage and pier and beam for the house. In Texas my living space in the garage could not be more than 25% of the square footage of my house. I'm at the max now otherwise I might finish the downstairs area.

• PRO
    MarketPlace Designs
    6 år siden

If you've not done so already, consult with Union City (city hall/zoning offc) for requirements. There are usually strict compliance issues with living spaces.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.