mjconti

What color(s) to pull from fabric and use in a neutral room.

mjconti
6 år siden

This fabric is on a chair & ottoman. Everything else in the room is neutral beige: walls, carpet, drapes.

A sofa is also beige, but darker than the other items and does have red undertones. What color or colors should be pulled from this fabric and used elsewhere in the room? I'm not sure I want anything red even though it dominates, more or less. The reds range from barn red to very deep red. I may purchase another chair... what color??

(22) kommentarer

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

From Wayfair…please keep in mind my suggestion is based on what I am seeing on my monitor:

• Irene Morresey
    6 år siden
    I like the rust red, you could still add a bit of blue also. I think it is a warmer look
    mjconti thanked Irene Morresey
  • mjconti
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

The drapes need replaced sometime soon so I'm not sure if they should be an ivory or linen color. There are 2 throw pillows in the same fabric as the chair. And I'm currently utilizing 2 dark russet red ones I made for another room but look a little harsh. Your 2nd & 3rd pictures are really pretty Irene. The chair Judy posted looks like the right shade of blue. The blues in the fabric go from light warmish blue to very dark (a warm dark almost navy). The shades of red vary considerably! And even though one of the goldish colors looks green, it isn't. I wish it was. It really fools the eye, even in person and a few people have mentioned it's green! I guess it has green undertones! And the oranges aren't really orange! The colors are driving me crazy and know I need to follow through with these colors around the room. Right now the chair's colors & pattern occupies all the visual space. It's kind of shouting 'Look at Me!'

• mjconti
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Would it be a mistake to buy a second chair that is light beige?? And use accents in the rusty reds/foggy blues. Would a beige chair make the printed chair SHOUT look at me even more, I'm the noisy one in the room? Kind of stick out like a sore thumb. And I was mistaken saying there was navy in the chair; the darkest blue isn't that dark. I think my biggest problem is there are too many colors, shades & tones of colors, in the chair.

• mjconti
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I realize this is an old worn out topic, but would like to update. The chair with the print fabric I posted has been moved to a different room in the house - the family room that is primarily beige with 1 small deep green rocker. It became impossible to keep the very disliked chair in the room and have it determine all future purchases for the room. We bought 2 matching dark blue chairs (color is denim). So now the decision is, what accent color or colors should be added to the traditional style room that is now primarily beige, tan, and dark blue., to give it some life & interest. It is incomplete as is. I'd like the interior's colors to coordinate, flow and have a hard time figuring that out.

• partim
    5 år siden

Pictures of the room?

• NancyD
    5 år siden
    So many directions with this! And photos definitely would help, not to mention your preference in styles. You can start with a rug and go from there for your other choices. I always like rugs like these because they pull together colors and anchor your room. But if you prefer pattern on your curtains, look for something that has the beiges and navy with a little bittersweet orange. You can always add a throw, pillows, or other items in an accent color to liven the look.
    mjconti thanked NancyD
  • PRO
    Millworks Construction Services, LLC
    5 år siden

We agree with JudyG Designs, that blue would be beautiful as an accent wall or throw pillows.

mjconti thanked Millworks Construction Services, LLC
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 år siden

A picture speaks a thousand words.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 år siden

We really need to see the room and the furniture you are working with to be helpful.

• mjconti
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

• mjconti
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

1st photo is couch. 2nd photo is fabric of 2 new chairs, although it appears gray on my monitor, the fabric is actually a warm, dark denim blue (warm navy). The 2 throw pillows on the couch don't need to remain. They match the chair I moved out of the room. The room now needs color & accent pieces. The lamps shown now have new ivory shades. The carpet is light beige. Style is traditional. I like classic colors. Would like an accent rug in front of the couch, even though it's carpet on carpet. Thanks everyone.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 år siden

Do you have pix of the chairs for us? More pix of the rest of the walls too, please. IMO, end tables plus coffee table, especially matching ones, are a bit dated, but you might translate that as traditional. End tables are also too short (see chart below) and the lamps are from the 1980's I believe. If you want a rug, it should be at least 2 feet wider than the sofa and slip under the front 1/3 of it, so I'd find other locations for the end tables. If you need light near the sofa, try a floor lamp in the corner by it. Locating the chairs will determine where you might use a new table and lamp.

mjconti thanked decoenthusiaste
  • mjconti
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

These are the chairs, positioned on the wall with 2 windows; but my chairs are deeper blue (light navy). Grover photo-shopped the picture and included the artwork between the windows for consideration as well as the coffee table, pillows, lamp etc. Thanks everyone for your past help. I plan to look for fabric to make throw pillows - fabric that includes rich deep coralish-orangish colors.

Unless I find pillows. Would like the room to look cozy, but not beachy or modern & richer tones than the coral in the photo.

• mjconti
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Can anyone please find photos of living rooms or family rooms that incorporate beiges & dark blue upholstered furniture that are traditional & cozy, and not dark, dreary & depressing? I'm not having success finding any.

• tartanmeup
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Here's a living room with navy, yellow, beige, rusts, blues and greens. Very lively, imho. From the current issue of Traditional Home magazine.

ETA: Can we see additional well-lit pictures of your space? All walls, including windows? Might prompt additional advice that takes into account the whole room's vibe.

Here's an ivory and blue living room from Suzanne Kasler and Les Cole. A narrow range of blues, including navy, lots of white and ivory, touches of beige, brown and gold and a LOT of natural light.

mjconti thanked tartanmeup
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 år siden

Here is SW snap color

mjconti thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • tartanmeup
    5 år siden

I was under the impression that fabric was removed from the space, celerygirl?

mjconti thanked tartanmeup
  • mjconti
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Hello celery girl! There's no brown or gray in the fabric; SW paint colors that 'match' are: fired brick, bosc pear, red cent, bunglehouse blue, & morning fog - and also firewood on a different chart. Not only all that info, I don't have to use this fabric in the room at all! It's on 2 throw pillows and an ottoman..... start from scratch with the beiges & dark blue (it's navy) .

• mjconti
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

tartan, I really like the colorful room you posted a lot! It's cheery. Thank you.

• Manon Floreat
    5 år siden

I really like tartanmeup's example. Here's another in the same vein:

mjconti thanked Manon Floreat
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.