hoppy3192

Framing the view

Jen
6 år siden

Repainting the interior of a 1970's house. Lots of raked ceilings (timber), lovely angles and faded mission brown aluminium sliding doors. The cedar timber architraves are classic 1970's narrow and have yellowed and stained with age. Plain painted internal doors.

We have decided on Natural white walls and vivid white ceilings and trims. We think we will paint the cedar trims. Here is a picture of one of the windows with a view.

Do we paint the window frames white, black or leave them natural?

Note the flyscreens are also mission brown here but those could easily be replaced.

Black
White
Keep natural timber

(19) kommentarer

• oklouise
    6 år siden

what a gorgeous view and appreciate the need to repaint the faded wood and look forward to seeing the outcome

• siriuskey
    6 år siden

beautiful outlook, I kind of like the view looking out through the timber window into the woods, you could sand them and reseal, it's the finish that yellows not the timber

• Alex
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

I think if your goal is to blend/melt the window frames into the view to bring it inside, go natural timber, refinish and pick a stain that features in the outside environment. If your goal is to frame the view into a gorgeous piece of art for the inside while maintaining distance, go black.

• PRO
    Wallpaper Brokers
    6 år siden

Contrast between the white and beautiful green scenery will be absolutely beautiful

• annb1997
    6 år siden

White gets my vote. I think it's the one that will best invite that beautiful scenery into the room and give it the attention it deserves. And I wouldn't even use window coverings to hide it unless thermal loss or privacy are issues.

• PRO
    Joe Adsett Architects Pty Ltd
    6 år siden

White will definitely freshen up the palette! Make sure that you use a gloss paint for the architraves! Vivid white is a nice colour but it is hard to get a good coverage with this paint. Often you can see through, especially if the colour behind is brown / darker. A paint colour with a couple of drops of black will give a much better coverage!

• PRO
    User
    6 år siden

i am afraid that black is soon to be on it's way out in terms of fashion - also, this fashion is irrelevant to the house you currently have - this is the same approach that some people had in the 60's when they thought to install big aluminium windows in their Victorian houses - not a good idea.

keeping them the same colour = you won't be able to cover any stains or discolouration - it's up to you of course if that's the look you're going for.

also, the best way to protect a timber framed window (without painting it) is to seal it with a type of polyurethane - this can present you with some headaches - sticky opening/ closing or flaking off, especially on the north facing windows. you can oil treat them, but that becomes a commitment, as this will need to be redone ever year or two.

probably your best bet would be to repaint in a light colour - i would avoid white - these windows aren't sealed very well and in no time, you'll have lovely dribble marks on the fresh paint (or get an oil based paint which will ensure it's easy to clean off),

or try to paint in a colour that's opposite on the colour wheel to what you see outside - like a light beige with a hint of apricot - ironically, once you do your research, you'll realise that the original choice of colours was surprisingly well considered.

• Jen
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Here is the results so far. We have painted the walls Natural White. We will eventually paint the timber in Natural White 1/4, but are enjoying them as they are for now.
  • User
    6 år siden
    looks beautiful Janet, I love the timber , matches perfectly with the view, even though you intend to paint the frames ,I think enjoy them as you said for the lovely look they create, can't beat the beauty of timber.
  • Illuminide Interiors
    6 år siden

Black will make your garden pop and modernise the internal space. Black frames will turn the view into real life art.

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Very beautiful result. Great job! So glad you are pleased.

• me me
    6 år siden
    Looks good.
  • cloudpants
    6 år siden
    What an improvement! Well done.
  • KrisB
    6 år siden
    it's gorgeous and inspirational. I am moving from my 1925 arts and crafts bungalow to a 1970s home. it's a big adjustment for me so it's helpful to see images. you have a stunning outlook...and I have to create an outlook from each window. Exciting times. thank you for posting the images.
  • mazgardiner
    6 år siden

Glad you chose white. Really fresh around the greenery outside. Great choice!

• cazzie8
    6 år siden
    Janet looks great, you must be thrilled with the result. You mentioned mission brown aluminium sliding windows did you also paint them white?
    It looks like it from your update photo, if so was this easy to do?
  • Jen
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    in the end we left the mission brown sliding doors. with the white walls and architrave s they look almost black, so they are not bothering us St all.
  • Jen
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Still looking lovely
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.