wolfedesigns8

Help! Wall tiles don't match the floor tiles

Wolfe Designs
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

My friend has a conjoined kichen and dining room. She recently updated the kitchen including the kitchen bench wall tiles but chose wall tiles that absolutely do not blend with the floor. Personally I think the cheapest option would be to change the wall tiles but my friend is thinking of putting lino over the kitchen floor section only. This won't work as will not be a good look.
ANY other ideas for this dilemma.

(28) kommentarer

• annb1997
    6 år siden

BTW! What kind of Lino was she thinking about? She must have a particular look in mind, and I'm curious.

• robandlyn
    6 år siden

If you place lino straight over tiles, the lines where the tiles join will show through within a year. Don't do it!

• Julie Herbert
    6 år siden
    I agree with above, change the splashback, the tiles really don't do justice to the lovely kitchen, very harsh against the cabinetry.would suit an industrial warehouse kitchen and laying lino would not work as stated above , your friend would be unhappý with ithe look after awhile.
  • me me
    6 år siden
    I agree, it's the wall tiles that are wrong.
  • Paula
    6 år siden

How about painting the floor tiles? There are really good products available now where you can do this - you just need to follow the instructions carefully for a good, long lasting result. (Just google it.) It's a relatively inexpensive option and you can pick the perfect colour that blends with both the cabinetry and the splash back.

6 år siden
    I agree with the comments above. The splashback tiles do not belong in that kitchen. Sorry.
  • wuff
    6 år siden
    Yes I am on the band wagon, change the splash back, I thought they hadn't been done, i thought it was the raw surface awaiting tiling
  • JE C
    6 år siden
    I agree with everyone else.....do you think it would help her decision if some suitable splashback options were suggested?
  • annb1997
    6 år siden

Perhaps, but we haven't yet heard back from Woof Design. But why not? Go for it, JE C!

• PRO
    Wolfe Designs
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Are there really good products for changing the colour of the floor tiles. I agree tho that the wall tiles are not complimentary to the kitchen. ps...thanks for all comments
  • annb1997
    6 år siden

Are the tiles ceramic? Can affect which paints are more suitable.

• PRO
    Cipriano Italian Home Design
    6 år siden

Wall tiles have to go - most practical and least costly option

• angelah169
    6 år siden

If the wall tiles are ceramic, they could be painted which will be a cheaper option than replacing them with new ones. Or even changing the floor tiles.

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Except that the floor tiling extends to include the living area, so would be costly exercise.

• JE C
    6 år siden
    I still think change the wall tiles to something more classic that suits the kitchen style and complements the other warm tones - perhaps some simple tiles in a warm white. Then she could reference the floor tones in some accessories.
  • stella_bella_boo
    6 år siden

What about laying timber vinyl planks over the tiles. Would update the whole house. Can choose any colour timber

• Lillien Curtis
    6 år siden

Agree with the above wall tiles not appropriate. What about a glass spashback to tone with floor tiles or bench top. By the picture there is a tone of grey from the floor tile which is neutral and on trend. Keep it simple. If floor tiles are in good condition why change them if they are not damaged. Check budget and costings if you wish to change flooring too. Don't undertake something half hearted. Get it right the first time. You may change your mind when final cost is revealed and just do wall area. Vinyl would not work. Look at overall space and do a mood board to have flow.

• PRO
    Wolfe Designs
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    thankyou...what a great pic to show how the whole look can be changed and the contrast between the two. many thanks
  • suancol
    6 år siden

My suggestion is a small rug in front of sink but leave the floor as is. Although the wall tiles link to the floor in the grey tone the effect is too cave since the tiles have a 3D stone look. A simpler wall tile or some wall tile paint is my suggestion.

• tsrwright
    6 år siden

It's the floor colour that's the main problem, neither one thing nor the other, and certainly wrong with the benchtop. Leave the wall tiles if you like that sort of thing and find a way of covering the floor probably with laminate planks on an underlay. We have a European Birch golden coloured timber floor but softer grey splashback and it looks fine. It's not an award winner but the floor and cabinet carcases had been there twenty years and it was affordable. Don't even think about painting the floor or putting down mats but a clear plastic runner in front of the sink works well for us.

• Tilly
    6 år siden
    I agree with you, the backsplash doesn’t work.
    I’d opt for a simple subway splashbacks
  • girlguides
    6 år siden
    I think the wall tile colour with its blue tinge clashes with everything
  • PRO
    Juliet Coleman Interior Design
    6 år siden

Yes definitely do away with the splash back and replace with some off white/light cream subway tiles, far more cost effective than retiling the whole floor. Will soften the look, lighten it and overall change the look, to a lot more appealing!. Cheers Juliet

• JE C
    6 år siden
    A round sisal rug centred in the space and some potted greenery, maybe herbs, would look lovely with the more traditional splashback suggested
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.