alicia48

Kitchen remodel help please

Alicia
6 år siden
We just purchased this 1979 “A” Frame cabin in Tahoe.
Our kitchen is next on our list to do. We have already taken down the cabinet that faces the dining area.
There is already a lot of wood in the cabin, so I would like to offset that with cabinets and countertops.
The closet to the left of the refrigerator is not the best use of space.
To the right of the refrigerator is the washer/dryer with a bifold door - we are open to moving those.
Thanks for your help.

(5) kommentarer

• frenchtarragon
    6 år siden

Can you describe the scale of the renovation you're looking to do? Are you willing to gut everything, or are you looking to salvage some elements to keep costs down?

• Alicia
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    We are planning on gutting...but we can’t make changes to any exterior wall without a hassle.
    I would like to keep costs down, however.
    We will be doing the work ourselves.
  • frenchtarragon
    6 år siden

I like to think of kitchen renos in terms of solving problems. Here are the problems I would seek to address:

• Fridge location is suboptimal; opening the fridge (one of the most common activities in a kitchen) obstructs a major pathway. In the new layout, the fridge should not obstruct any walkways
    • No landing area on one side of the stove. NKBA guidelines advise landing areas on both sides. If you've ever cooked without counters on both sides of the stove, you know why. The new design should be sure to have counters on both sides
    • Lighting isn't great and there are shadows everywhere, which isn't the best idea when you'll be using knives. The new design should have undercabinet lighting and adequate overhead lighting. You don't mention your ceiling height, but I'm guessing 8.5-9 ft from your photos, which means you have some room to use hanging lights as design elements
    • The range has poor ventilation. You'll need a real hood in the new kitchen

Those are just a few thoughts, but to be honest, I think the overall layout isn't very functional. What rooms surround the kitchen? That may open up some better layout options. Given the scope of the reno, may be a good idea to get a KD

• Alicia
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Great advice! Thank you so much.
  • PRO
    Integri Kitchens
    6 år siden

You could reconfigure the space to a L-shape by moving the range onto the window wall with a cabinet to the left side so you've got landing space there, then do an angled corner cabinet on the peninsula end and move the sink onto the corner of the peninsula and if it will leave you enough walkway, move the dishwasher to the right end on the peninsula. Moving the sink to the corner will give you some beautiful workspace between your sink and your range in front of the window. You could then do an extended bar on the peninsula for seating. Yes, the fridge isn't ideal in a walkway, but leaving it where it is still maintains your triangle. You could remove the closet to the left and do some 24" deep tall storage cabinets with roll-out shelves for ease of access, and 24" deep cabinet over the fridge which will give you a nice clean line of tall cabinetry incorporating your fridge space.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.