heleb

Need help choosing the kitchen backsplash and stools

heleb
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

We have almost finished our kitchen remodelling dated around 1890's. We are in need of backsplash and stools and I find it hard to choose something that would bring it all together.
This renovation has been full of challenges (like changing the trusts underneath the original kitchen floors hence "jacking up and supporting the whole area", digging out the old mixture of sawdust and straw insulation...). My husband has done pretty much all the work. More than ever, I now realize how much he is not only very patient but also astute and determined.
I have pick out a few options but at this point in the project I am lacking inspirations.
Here are a few 'before and after pictures' to perhaps help.
I thank you kindly in advance for you suggestions.

Before (2009):

Now:

As you can see, we have yet to put backsplash?

And stools?

The floor is travertine with gray and beige undertones:

The counters are LG Viatera Soprano:

Here are a few options but I am not so indecisive these days...:

A handmade subway like tile in a light grey:

A dandy white 1x4:

A basket weave with gray and beige:

or a Cipolino Tumble 3/4 x 3 3/4:

Any advices?

How about the kitchen stools?

Light and modern so that it disappears?

Or in woods so that it stands out?

Once again thank you kindly.

(39) kommentarer

• Riley Neon
    6 år siden

Hi! Wow, that kitchen looks amazing. Well done. You have done a great job and turned nothing into something beautiful :) I reckon that the subway like tile (light grey) would look great, and link in with the floor. I reckon the wooden stools would also make a great feature to the white kitchen. These two would give a rustic edge to an otherwise clean, modern room. I hope I've helped.

heleb thanked Riley Neon
  • heleb
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Yes you have, thank you!

• Irene Morresey
    6 år siden
    Your kitchen is beautiful, what a difference
    heleb thanked Irene Morresey
  • thinkdesignlive
    6 år siden
    Definitely the dark stools. I question going so light for the backsplash. Consider tying in the greenish tone of the island to help balance the room. Right now one while side is very “white” and the other dark. Seems a bit disconnected and having the backsplash tile in to the other side might make sense. Otherwise, looking good!
    heleb thanked thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive
    6 år siden
    Kind of like this green. Heath Ceramics has nice tiles that would work
    Noe Valley Historic Home · Mere information
    heleb thanked thinkdesignlive
  • anniebird
    6 år siden
    I second Irene's recommendation - I think the basketweave picks up the travertine color of your floor nicely, and the wooden stools are just right for your kitchen, which is lovely! Congrats to you and your patient, astute hubby:)
    heleb thanked anniebird
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    6 år siden

The wooden ones might look great with all of the white you've now got going on.

• PRO
    Under Foot Inc.
    6 år siden

Stunning kitchen! I would bring in some warm wood tones in the stool selection, and what do you think of penny rounds for the backsplash? They'd work well with your sink, bring in another dimension of shape, and come in so many finishes, from marbles to ceramics to almost mother of pearl iridescent finishes....

heleb thanked Under Foot Inc.
  • PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Wonderful renovation and kitchen. I prefer the simple back splash to coordinate with counter tops and modern stool in white or black seat. The warmth in door molding and cabinetry is a nice contrast with floors and the eclectic mixture of materials. Layout and color scheme is how I came to the conclusion of my opinion. Also depends on the furnishings in the space. Dining table material?

• PRO
    Angela Rasmussen
    6 år siden

Wow! What a difference.

Beautiful Transformation :)

heleb thanked Angela Rasmussen
  • Carol Singletary
    6 år siden
    I like the wooden stools, but are they comfortable?
    This view is probably in the minority, but I like the simple look of DRYWALL instead of any backsplash for your kitchen. Paint a good quality, easily cleaned paint that matches what is there now, and then leave it alone. You have a created a beautiful space, and it does not need anything else.
    heleb thanked Carol Singletary
  • lrunner
    6 år siden

I actually totally agree with Carol. I don't think you need a backsplash either. The kitchen looks beautiful as is and there really isn't a lot of drywall showing.

heleb thanked lrunner
  • heleb
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thinkdesignlive thank you for the recommandation of the green backsplash. Indeed I feel that our kitchen is somehow disconnected, that it has two separate zones. At the start we had chosen a pewter cobblestone (travertine) floors with cabinets painted white on one side and grey on the other. However, it turned out that the pewter colour was not available anymore so we went for Picasso. There was a yellow and brown that changed the colour - design. We then decided to stained the grey cabinets instead of painting them. They turned out a bit greenish from the yellow tone of the wood and that went well with the floor. The other side that was painted did not go so well with the rest so we tried to bring it all together with the counters. LG Soprano had grey and beige in it but not enough to pull it all together. Now, without repainting the cabinets (that would be too costly at this point and oh so frustrating, especially for my hubby) and I'm looking at the backsplash to magically blend it all. Perhaps your suggestion is the one that will do it all. I'll look into it. Thank you

• heleb
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Underfoot inc, thank you I'll also look for the penny rounds. I usually buy a few samples and try them out.

Jodie White, we are still unsure at this point what to do with the extension. We had originally thought of putting our dining room there but my husband prefer to keep it where it is, between the kitchen and living room. We bought his family house and he has many good childhood memories in that dining room along with the new ones that we have together. Our table was built from a cherry tree that my husband had to cut down on our land.

For now, we use it as a breakfast and a relaxing area as there are lots of windows and it also overlooks the lake.

Thank you very much for your comments and advices.

• Boxerpal
    6 år siden

Great job this is an amazing transformation

heleb thanked Boxerpal
  • beth09
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Your kitchen is stunning. I'd say wood chairs. I don't know about BS, but I would say something darker to tie it all in. Really well done.

heleb thanked beth09
  • PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    6 år siden

I don't think you should compete with the floor tile. It is laid in a brick pattern so why not do a simple subway in a solid creamy color from the floor tile colors? Nice work on that kitchen. I'd live there! =0) Here's a before-during-after video we just produced with pics from two of our favorite projects. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHWsnSDRv7M

heleb thanked Talianko Design Group, LLC
  • heleb
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Talianko: Thank you. I love your "before and after" video. Very nice work!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år siden
    Very nice and I appreciate your struggle. Not uncommon. I have a different take. First, i have an alternative backsplash idea. It is beautiful and i also suggest a light gray grout with it. I have to get to my desktop and look it up for you. Bbl
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år siden

Found it. I got this in a Canadian company so need to find a U.S. source if you are in U.S.? Ceragres.ca Wave Collection in Chaulk. It is pretty white but if you do a grout leaning toward the color of the cabinets on the other side, it would be really amazing. Even just a light grey grout. I normally wouldn't suggest a colored grout, but in your case, it could be the unifying detail you need. Beautiful work and kudos to your hubby and yourself for an outstanding job. Will post pic next.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år siden
    Here is photo of print out so ignore colors. I think you can find it on the internet.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år siden

This would look outstanding on the entire wall not just "backsplash. You don't have that much to do, so I think something along this line would be outstanding. Enjoy!

• heleb
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you so much. We live in Canada and there is a ceragres store in our region. I will look check it out.

• PRO
    IND Construction, LLC
    6 år siden

The Basket Weave Looks Good...and we would go with the modern chairs

heleb thanked IND Construction, LLC
  • Nadine Hernandez
    6 år siden

This is absolutely stunning!

heleb thanked Nadine Hernandez
  • Trem Wills
    6 år siden
    Beautiful! I feel like the basketweave is not good enough for your kitchen :)

I also really like the idea of trying the green glass subway type to see if that helps bring everything together. Good luck! I hope you update when it's all done.
    heleb thanked Trem Wills
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 år siden
    I can check with my client and see if she might be willing to post her kitchen backsplash for you. If you wish.
    heleb thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 år siden

What an incredible change!

heleb thanked Verona Home Design
  • PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    6 år siden

Looks fabulous - WOW! What a difference from before! You have a lovely home.

heleb thanked CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    6 år siden

I love the dandy white 1 x 4 with the wooden bar stools!

heleb thanked Raegan Ford Interior Design
  • diyher
    6 år siden

very nice Heleb, we are having Soprano installed probably December or beginning of January. My lower cabinets are Cherrywood that I stained myself Spiced Walnut and the uppers are all Antique White. The Soprano went well with both.

Can I ask what hinges you used on your high upper glass doors? I want to do the same to 2 or my cabinets and not sure what kind of hinges to purchase. I ordered from the Cabinet Joint that sells Conestoga Wood cabinets, so I get to choose all the options. I have all Blum soft close hinges on all the doors and the Blumotion full extension on all drawers.

• dmpsd
    6 år siden

On the barstools, try and checkout whatever you are thinking of from the store and bring it home and have whoever is going to be sitting in it most often try it out for a good long time to make sure it is comfortable.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    6 år siden

Beautiful transformation!

• tc_kellygirl
    6 år siden
    You did an amazing job with the kitchen!!

It looks like the only bare wall space you have is the section above the sink, right? It looks like a great place to bring in some color other than white — either painting the wall or picking a tile that will make it a focal point and balance the darker archway side. (Creams and whites aren’t much of an accent/focal point to me.)

What do you think tile that brings in some pattern??
  • tc_kellygirl
    6 år siden
    I meant to include photos for the wall above your sink (from counter to ceiling)
  • tc_kellygirl
    6 år siden
    Couple more tile wall ideas
  • heleb
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Dear Diyher,
    I took a picture of both hinges that we uses in our upper cabinet. They are both soft close (what a diffrence that makes ). One is from Blum and the smaller one is by Richelieu.
    I hope it help.
  • PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    6 år siden
    Beware of using real Carrera marble as your splash. It needs to be very well sealed and even then will be porous and soft which can lead to staining and scratching. You have to accept that fact going in with natural stone especially marble.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.