klholland04

Kitchen advice, please

klholland04
10 år siden
Any advice to warm up this slightly dated kitchen would be great. We are already removing light fixture and adding can lights. We don't like the paint color. We don't have budget to renovate cabinets or counters.

(12) kommentarer

• User
    10 år siden
    I think adding a rug would help. Agree about removing the wavy valance and changing the pulls in the center of the cabinets - I think the knobs are ok if you can match them.
  • klholland04
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Unfortunately no room for butcher block. We could replace backsplash with a neutral subway tile, but then what color would look good for paint on cabinets and walls? Replacing floors are a bit more than we can do right now. Totally agree about the pulls.
  • User
    10 år siden
    I think the cabinet color is fine if you like white - do you know what kind of paint is on them? Just wondering if you can get away with touching up as opposed to repainting.
  • qam999
    10 år siden
    I would spackle in those ornate grooved medallions in the cab doors as that (along with scalloped trim over sink) is very dated and also forces central pull placement, which you don't want. Then paint cabs of course...
  • PRO
    3 Day Blinds
    10 år siden
    Hi klholland04,

Adding Woven Wood Shades above your sink will give the room some layered texture.

Here are the different colors available : http://www.3dayblinds.com/window-treatments/shades/woven-wood

Happy Decorating,
    3 Day Blinds
  • onthefence
    10 år siden
    I like soberg's idea. I'm wondering though if you have enough room to add a very wide trim piece on all 4 sides to cover the grooved medallions. It would be a bit of a shaker look. The pic below is what's I'm thinking of. You'd only have to spackle where the center pull is right now.

I'd also repaint using more of a creamy white. The current white seems very stark against the color of the floor.

Tiburon home with Asian influence · Mere information
  • Deborah Walker
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    Most of what is dating this kitchen is the hardware on the cabinet door.... you need to get them out of the center, move them to the edges. I would take the beige backsplash out, add a nice bright color in a small tile splash and pick that color for the soffit above the cabinets, pick a nice area rug with a little of that same color and then do some accents in an off color. The other problem I am seeing is that you have stainless steel appliances with these warm color tile backsplash and the green on the soffit just isn't working with the two. If you can swing it some under cabinet lighting will brighten this kitchen up.

PS.... You can just change the doors on the cabinets Shaker door run about $25.00 each!
  • Brenda
    10 år siden
    ... your appliances and skylight are great by the way, so you got lucky there!
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    10 år siden
    If you can't change the floor then work with it not against it. Repaint the cabinets an off-white to complement the floor. This kitchen looks nice with a splash of apple green. Remove the door handles to the upper left/right corners and fill the holes left behind before painting. I agree with removing the valance over the sink but the window is untrimmed so removing it will make the window look rather stark. It would look better trimmed out and painted the same color as the cabinets. If possible, go with a stainless undermount sink and roman shades with apple green in them. Also, replace the black hinges to match the knobs/handles or paint them to match the cabinets and make them recede into the background. Matching the backsplash to the color of the cabinets (as in the picture) will make this small kitchen look and feel larger.

Lincoln Square Family Kitchen · Mere information
  • klholland04
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    All of is is great, thanks for the feedback folks! I'm hoping we can change up the cabinet color, since I'm not too keen on stark white. Valences for sure will go. Unfortunately, that "skylight" is actually a bright fluorescent that hums loudly when on, so we are getting rid of it and putting in cans. :). On the other side of the kitchen is an eating nook, and that bright green is just awful. Just not sure what color to paint the walls or cabinets if we do that.
  • onthefence
    10 år siden
    IMO find a color for the cabinets that works with the floor first. You'll probably see a lot more possibilities for the walls once the cabinets and floor work better together.'

Once your lighting is changed all your colors are going to look different ;-)
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.