acew1234

Tiling depth

acew1234
6 år siden
Help!
Our builder is just laying the slab for our self build and has asked about our ground floor flooring thickness. Seems like the decisions are already starting!

The porcelain or limestone (can't decide) tiles will be 10mm thick...maybe 12mm.
As there's underfloor heating we will need decoupling matting, which is about 3mm so I'm up to 13 or 15mm but how much do I allow for each layer of adhesive?
Does the depth I give need to be really precise?

(8) kommentarer

• PRO
    Anna Auzins Interiors Ltd.
    6 år siden

The depth of the flooring in each room will affect the ceiling heights and thereby the finished height; it also matters if you have different flooring in various rooms -- so engineered wood laid over underfloor heating would have a different depth to tiles, and it would also be different if there is carpet. Getting all those finished floors to be even is a challenge, as they may need to build up some rooms, etc.

• acew1234
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thanks Anna
    I'm going for the same flooring throughout the ground floor that should make things easier.
    The ceiling heights are either vaulted or high.
    I was thought it would impact how the floor level meets flush with the lift and slide patio doors and entrance door.
    I'd hate for the level at the doors to be out by a few millimetres
  • PRO
    Studio 3 kitchens
    6 år siden

as a guide 3mm adhesive on top of slab, 'schulter matting 3mm' then adhesive on top 3mm plus chosen tile thickness. example 19mm total for porcelain. if using limestone on a floor i would recommend using a 20mm thick stone not 12mm.

• acew1234
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thank you studio 3! Thanks really helpful info.
    Can I ask why you recommend 20mm over 10mm limestone?
    I love mandarin stone's tumbled Nautilus at 12mm or Ca Pietra's tumbled Olivier at 10mm. Both are seagrass limestone and have a lovely warm olive undertone which I can't find in porcelain.
  • PRO
    Studio 3 kitchens
    6 år siden

Limestone is very soft in its make up so its fragile and prone to snapping or crumbling when being handled or cut. 10-12mm is fine for walls but under foot i would personally go for a more stable thickness. but if you have a competent flooring installer he should be able to bed a thinner tile without to much hassle. Q: is the whole flooring area on a concrete sub base with uncoupling mat? as that would be best and stable, or are areas over timber? as you may / could still have a little movement which may cause a tile to crack.

• acew1234
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thank you, something I hadn't considered, I thought it would be easier to deal with if it was thinner. I'm so pleased I asked!
    I intended to help the tiler and maybe take over if I felt I could. I've tiled a dozen or so bathrooms but no floors. That's probably another reason for not wanting really heavy tiles, we also live on an island so 20mm tiles = double freight charges.
    It's a new build and will be totally on a concrete slab.
    My heart wants limestone but my head says porcelain... We have a big dirty dog!
  • acew1234
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thank you! Bertie looks like he'd have a great time creating havoc with Alfie the Spinone!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.