rubyclaire1

Fireplace Makeover Help Needed

rubyclaire
6 år siden

We are in the process of updating our modest 1980's Florida home and I need some help. New medium-toned hardwood floors will be installed soon and I would like to take this opportunity to update the corner fireplace in the living/family room at that time. The overall colors in this house are warm - beiges, browns, some reds/oranges/blues but primarily neutral.

I have looked at honed marble subway and that somehow seems a little formal. I have also looked at some rustic ceramic tile that could work. I looked at some ledgerstone in a quartzite or mable look that could be interesting. As you can tell, I am all over the board and need an assist. Attached are some photos of the fireplace area. What would you suggest? Thanks!

(16) kommentarer

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 år siden

Honestly, I would remove it. It's eating up a lot of space, it's in an awkward place, and you live in Florida! I've lived there too, and I never understood why people put in fireplaces. I know it gets "cold" but I would rather throw on an extra sweatshirt one day a year than have precious square footage in my home wasted.

• rubyclaire
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks - hadn't considered that. I would think that would be a costly undertaking.

• simstress
    6 år siden
    Will wall color remain?
  • rubyclaire
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Yes, it's BM Linen White.

• simstress
    6 år siden
    Cost for removal depends on lots of things. It was several thousand for us to remove a metal firebox, flue through 2 floors and attic. We left the chimney for appearance and we didn't want to mess with roof repair. Repairing the drywall was already part of a larger renovation, so I don't have a number on that part.
  • wildcatblue
    6 år siden
    It's worth researching how much it would cost to have it removed. Now is time since you're installing new floors.
  • motupeg
    6 år siden
    I like the dark facing on the fireplace.
    rubyclaire thanked motupeg
  • rubyclaire
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

wildcat blue: I agree now would be the time.

er612: Thanks - very helpful. Surprised the dark doesn't look too bad!

• PRO
    User
    6 år siden

I'm not sure of code in Florida but does the floor tile have to be so wide and prominent? Seems to eat up quite a bit of floor space. Can the wood floor go up to the fireplace box?

A pattern like this with a bit of warmer tones would be nice...

rubyclaire thanked User
  • PRO
    Caprock Hardscape Supply
    6 år siden

This is one in Austin Stone that we supplied. It has a rustic feel but looks sharp.

rubyclaire thanked Caprock Hardscape Supply
  • rubyclaire
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I'm verifying but I think code in Florida is 16-18". What is there now is more like 24" - I agree, too much and if I could run right up to firebox I would.

Glo - do you knw if that is a mix of glass and stone tile in the photo you posted?

• greenfish1234
    6 år siden
    I was going to recommend this, and saw someone posted a similar pic. 1) NO mantle. 2) one smooth, sleek finish, largest format of natural stone slabs, all the way to ceiling. Make grout invisible.
    rubyclaire thanked greenfish1234
  • rubyclaire
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you - I really like the idea of going all the way to the ceiling but losing a mantle makes me anxious for some reason. I'm used to it and suffer from a lack of "vision". These photos help!

• PRO
    Caprock Hardscape Supply
    6 år siden

Well even with stone to the ceiling, you could have a mantle. And No worries! We all suffer from that from time to time!

rubyclaire thanked Caprock Hardscape Supply
  • PRO
    User
    6 år siden

I found that example on Houzz, which for some reason no longer posts the link to the photo...so strange. Here's a link to the project: [https://www.houzz.com/photos/waterfront-steveston-condo-beach-style-living-room-vancouver-phvw-vp~1777390[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/waterfront-steveston-condo-beach-style-living-room-vancouver-phvw-vp~1777390)

You can post questions to the photos there. Hopefully, they'll be able to source the tile for you.

Good luck!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.