faustine1982

Ideas to update this house - paint color? Other?

Faustine Bernadac
10 år siden
Hello, this is our first house; bought it a few months ago and can't figure out what would be a nice change to make it look better. We are thinking about reprinting the whole house, including entrance door, but just can't think of what would be ideal. Any suggestions would be welcomed! Thanks so much!

(43) kommentarer

• Phil
    10 år siden
    What exactly don't you like about it? To me its kinda cool in a funky way. Very fun house with all those colors.
  • Faustine Bernadac
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Honestly, it reminds me of a fast food building, like mc Donald's...
  • kathleen MK
    10 år siden
    I hope it's just my monitor that makes the mulch look like lava. add a layer of natural cypress mulch over it and add more plants like low growing shrubs at the porch edge. There are paverstones like your wall that could make your flower beds raised. then the round rocks could be a faux streambed or stacked near rain spouts. I would loose the awnings and tone down the porch color. add a taller plant at corner of houseand porch.
  • nwduck
    10 år siden
    It's kind of different and cool, except for the round rock edging and strange mulch which doesn't seem to go with the vibe. A streamlined edging, or none at all would be an easy fix. In addition, some larger plants in the bed on the right would lessen the screaming impact of the blue steps and landing, Let it be a little more of a surprise. This is the kind of house that could take an art piece somewhere in the landscape.
  • nancy22032
    10 år siden
    Or you could paint the stone facade the same color as the porch and awnings with the stucco painted white. This might look crisp and modern - or not? The front door would be good painted white to make it stand out from the porch. Of course cover up the orange mulch with plain brown stuff. You could paint the bottom of the overhang above the porch the same blue. I could never be happy with the mustardy color of the stone facade and it controls the color of the rest of the house. Please post pics when you get done, whatever you do as this is a most interest-ing house to work with.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 år siden
    You could begin by removing current landscaping and add a contemporary one that compliments your unique home :
    Stefani House · Mere information
  • rinked
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    I guess it's supposed to be Art Deco. (Door grill, round shaped roof.)
    Look into this style and see if there are elements you like.

I (personally) would definately take off the stone facings and paint all walls white.
    Please remove the lava mulch (the primary colors give the McDonalds feel).
    Cedar Lake International Style · Mere information

Adams Associates - Gallery · Mere information

Portola Ave. · Mere information

Art Deco · Mere information
  • User
    10 år siden
    I think it is fun...Put a neon open/closed sign out :)
  • Faustine Bernadac
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks everyone for your input. We definitely were planning on removing the red mulch, but did not think to do it first before changing the house. It is a great idea to see how it would all look without that red stuff. Probably a lot better. The Art Deco style is definitely what we loved about the house when we bought it... We did not like the landscape from day 1, and were actually thinking of turning it into zeroscaping, mostly because we are concerned about conserving water and we live in an area that has drought problems. I guess I need to do some research on that now... Thanks again everyone.
  • babame
    10 år siden
    I'd remove the mulch and garden first, then make the stairs wrap around the porch to mimic the line of porch over hang giving it a real deco look. Widen the path to focus the entrance.

I would also paint the house all one colour. Leave the porch and portico dark. The black/white theme was popular.

A little lead light in the front door or glass panels - it's a start.
  • Ann
    10 år siden
    I think it will look like a completely different house once the red mulch is removed!
  • hparks74
    10 år siden
    I would ditch the red pine bark mulch because next to the green grass it looks like giant watermelon slice. Use pea gravel or chocolate mulch.
  • leelee
    10 år siden
    I really like the paint, awnings and door color. It looks like an "after" not a "before". The only thing you should change is the orange mulch. It grabs attention from the front door. You could use pine straw or brown mulch. Plant some varied and interesting evergreens to give a more finished look to your gardens.
  • leelee
    10 år siden
    Don't waste your money repainting until you've fixed the beds.
  • nytatyana
    10 år siden
    exactly what hparks 74 said :)
    if you MUST paint, I'd just change the tone - from dated pinkish -beige to cooler stone or grey, so your accent color is not so prominent.
  • Geneviève
    10 år siden
    A cedar at the corners of the house will give the background
  • nwduck
    10 år siden
    Given the odd mulch color, I am wondering if that is a recycled rubber mulch. If it is, and you are going to take it off anyway you may be able to resell it.
  • leelee
    10 år siden
    An ornamental cedar, yes. A plain cedar like you see on the side of the road, no. It'll get way too tall and rangy.
  • colonialgp
    10 år siden
    I know the storm door looks art deco but it also looks like you're in a bad neighborhood. Ditch the storm door.

Oh, and the mulch, in case no one has mentioned it.
  • PRO
    REEDesign Interiors by Roderick Reed
    10 år siden
    Looks like a spanish syle house. Paint it off white. Change the landscape to harmonize with it. Succelents, italian cypress etc. Add some details like handpainted tiles on the stair risers to kick it up a notch!
  • michigammemom
    10 år siden
    I would play up the Southwest vibe of your exterior with an amazing wood door with black iron hardware. I also absolutely agree that the red mulch and stone edging need to go.
    Southwest · Mere information
  • Faustine Bernadac
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Sounds like everyone is unanimous on this... Good bye ugly red mulch! The house is definitely art deco though, not spanish : ) thanks for the suggestions about landscaping and trees. Really appreciate the feedback.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år siden
    Xeriscape is the best bet for your home. Check with a local nursery for native plants that will thrive in your area.
    Waterwise Landscapes · Mere information
    Sunol Landscape · Mere information

Portfolio · Mere information

• sdme
    10 år siden
    McDonald's??? on what planet? I don't see any fast food joints that look that! That's insulting really, but that's your opinion, I like it & it was mine, I may just want to change the curbed part of the building, over the entrance to the house, other than that I like it just fine!
  • Faustine Bernadac
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks for the links decoenthusiaste!

sdme: you are right, fast food was not the best description; it's the landscape really that reminds me of that.
  • Geneviève
    10 år siden
    Perhaps something like this

Spanish Bungalow · Mere information
  • PRO
    REEDesign Interiors by Roderick Reed
    10 år siden
    Genevieve hit the nail on the head! this is what i had in mind.
  • doctornancy
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    I love your house. I'm a huge fan of art deco. I disagree with many of the other suggestions. I do not think you need to change out the mulch. The sun will fade it quickly and I like how it looks with the changes I have made. I'm a minimalist and don't see the need to do much. My photo speaks for itself. Enjoy your new home!
  • Faustine Bernadac
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Nancy, thanks so much for the photo and your opinion on this! I like the fence you added. What did you use to change the photo like that?
  • doctornancy
    10 år siden
    Photoshop. I use it to help my clients better visualize my ideas.
  • Faustine Bernadac
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Makes sense! Thanks again.
  • rinked
    10 år siden
    For you:
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år siden
    I'm not crazy about the angular awnings and porch - something rounded to match the porch roof would really up the deco quotient here.
  • qam999
    10 år siden
    Darling house...rinq got it just right! The house is cleaner with the stone gone. This house is very well designed and special looking and just needs landscaping in keeping with its sophisticated small house character.
  • hparks74
    10 år siden
    I love the color. I wouldn't paint. If down the road a few years you want to make it completely Art Deco, do so but know just landscape changes would be huge improvements
  • alwaysdesigning
    10 år siden
    First, update the plantings. I would go for some xeriscape plantings like purple fountain grass, some other tall grasses and salvias to inject soft color and soft texture. Before repainting, I would just work on the plantings and make them bolder and more colorful. That could inspire you further. Add some bold paint color around the window frames and tie in with the bold door color. Try a new style of window awning and make them the width of the wall. Move the awnings up higher and add shutters to the windows. Good luck
    [houzz=
    Portola Valley Project #1 · Mere information
    ]
    [houzz=
    Residential Forecourt entry garden and fountain · Mere information
    ]
    [houzz=
    Villa Baha · Mere information
    ]
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    debora carl landscape design · Mere information
    ]
    [houzz=
    Portola Valley Project #1 · Mere information
    ]
    [houzz=
    Fountain · Mere information
    ]
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    bowman patio · Mere information
    ]
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    Exterior · Mere information
    ]
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år siden
    Everyone seems to be guiding you toward Spanish. This might inspire you.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/bring-back-the-optimism-of-art-deco-and-art-moderne-stsetivw-vs~2416255
  • brickln
    10 år siden
    I think this is the best use of orange mulch I've ever seen! I agree it would look better with streamlined edging, a narrow bed edged in something painted the same color as the steps maybe. Can you make the planting beds in the same shape as the door overhang? My only concern about the orange is that it takes away the impact of the front door a bit, which is already on the small side. I'd also remove the planter- maybe a wrought iron contractor can match your door grill if you feel a barrier is needed, but I'd like it open.
  • Marci
    10 år siden
    Late to the party, but your house is Art Deco. Please don't try to impose any other style on it, as the previous owners tried to do. Rinqcreation has the right ideas. Remove the faux masonry, paint the house white, source appropriate Art Deco-style accessories (i.e., mailbox, entry light, and yes, storm door), xeriscape, and for the love of all that is holy, get rid of the red mulch. I love the navy blue awnings that rinqcreation used.
  • weathervanes
    10 år siden
    Much as i love the cool ideas of the community but somehow i still like the house just the way it is. I think its unique, vibrant and has character.
  • brickln
    10 år siden
    True, weathervanes. Never would have placed that stone on a Deco home or known what to do with it after the fact. The creativity here is inspiring.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.