dbjonesjr

What to do with Moss Rock fireplace

dbjonesjr
10 år siden
I have dilemma. House has a very large and a bit imposing moss rock fireplace and wife wants to lighten it. I am fine with it way it is, so was wondering if anyone has any thoughts and/or ideas on the matter.

Has anyone seen it painted, whitewashed, etc...

Thank you

(11) kommentarer

• apple_pie_order
    10 år siden
    Would you add some photos showing how it looks in the room?

Is that lichen growing on the rocks?

Are you open to removing it or would you prefer to change its looks instead?
  • dbjonesjr
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Yes- has moss on parts. Prefer to lighten it.
  • Beth Bourque
    10 år siden
    If she didn't like it, she shouldn't have agreed to buy it. It's a major point in your home. I would call a masonry yard and ask if a bleaching oil could be used on it. They are the experts in handling a problem of this magnitude.
  • derk5
    10 år siden
    A moss rock fireplace is a beautiful, and expensive, natural focal point in a room. Yes, the moss does add character, but you can scrape it off with a wire brush to "clean" and lighten the rocks. Painting or whitewashing would detract from its natural beauty. Consider hanging light-colored accessories such as a mirror or wreath on the rocks, and using light-colored paint on the adjacent walls.
  • Beth Bourque
    10 år siden
    If you don't already have them, consider focusing ceiling spotlights on the expanse to brighten it up. Do you have anything hanging on the stone? A large mirror in front of it would cover it up quite a bit and reflect the light in the room.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 år siden
    You may get some ideas about lighting from these 1300 photos: https://www.houzz.com/photos/moss-rock-fireplace-phbr0lbl-bl~l_68103

You can also paint the grout a lighter color. You can get an idea how it would look by running some beige masking tape along the grout lines over a good sized 3 by 3 foot area.
  • sarenab
    9 år siden
    I was researching information about painting/lightening our moss rock fireplace that looks very similar and saw this post. What did you end up doing? I would like to clean and paint our wall. I would eventually like to get rid of it, but don't have the budget right now. Thank you.
  • PRO
    STEAMMASTER
    9 år siden
    Moss Rock Fireplace is a special and significant center piece of a home. At times when the moss/lichen is not healthy and dull, there are a few ways to rejuvenate the lichen (beer/water mist) but if the stone itself is look dull and needs cleaning, SteamMaster is the expert. We use hot water extraction and our hard surface tools. Call us for a free estimate and we will give your fireplace the night and day difference!
    #mossrock #hardsurface #cleaning #lichen
  • Lynn Ryan
    7 år siden

I have a volcanic rock fireplace with moss on it and I wish to take it off. The problem being that everytime I spray it to clean the moss off the rock gets soft and starts of soften up and fall off in little dust like pieces. Any suggestions as to what I can do to get the moss off besides a wire brush and spraying it with water and vinegar?

• Stephanie Walser
    7 år siden

I am having the same issue. This rock is not attractive in any way. It looks dirty, gross and outdated rather. I'm interested in removing the moss and whitewashing as well.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.