tmiller6812

Window treatment help- save my living room!

T
6 år siden

Just put up these gorgeous window curtains, but it looks overwhelming and I don't know what to do! How do you recommend I arrange the curtains to make it look beautiful and not too busy?

(25) kommentarer

• hatetoshop
    6 år siden

Could you take a picture without the tie backs?

T thanked hatetoshop
  • K Laurence
    6 år siden

It looks busy to me partly because there’s so many windows with contrasting color vs the white shades ( ?). The fabric is shiny, they’re a dark color , what is that bunching them ? A medallion of some sort? How about just letting them hang loose without ...?

T thanked K Laurence
  • T
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

This is what it looks like without the tie backs

• PRO
    Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
    6 år siden

How many windows are there? Hard to see whats going on under all that you have there? one thing I do notice is rods are mounted too low down.

T thanked Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
  • hatetoshop
    6 år siden

Looks like you've invested quite a bit in rods and fabric. I'd let them all hang, without the tie backs, to see if that is less overwhelming.

• T
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you all! Please keep commenting! There are six windows total, with the front two connected. How much higher do you recommend I mount them? And would that help the "business"?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

You will have to press them to get rid of the wrinkles, but for sure remove the clips IMO a lighter color would have been better but now how about a bigger light colored rug and some fun pillows in very light tones , remove the weird chair and maybe a glass coffee table. I think the height the drapes are mounted is fine and any higher you would need new panels or an additon to the bottom.

T thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • T
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Would it look better with a continuous rod and the drapes in the corners?

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 år siden

Do you need the shades? If not, I would remove them. You have elegant looking curtains with chintzy white shades. ( sorry...I greatly dislike blinds/shades as window treatments).

T thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • cdee18
    6 år siden

The first thing I notice is the gap behind the couch. You have panels at each side of each window everywhere else, but left that center section empty. Do you have two more panels you can hang in those back windows? I would also remove the tie-backs and try to train the drapes to hang in even pleats. Here's a blog that explains how to do this (look at tip #4).

You can't mount them any higher (unless they have a big hem at the bottom to let out). The height is OK where it is. You have a beautiful room-I love your rug!-and you might just be feeling overwhelmed because you're not used to seeing the drapes at your windows. I hope they grow on you after you live with them for awhile.

T thanked cdee18
  • T
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks! I got the drapes from someone so there is no more and all I have to work with. The room was so light and airie before I put them up, I'm considering just removing them altogether...

• hatetoshop
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

I'd try them hanging loose, and decide if that suits you. Since you didn't spend any money on them, then remove if that's a better fit. You didn't ask, but if you ever consider getting two armchairs and angle them to the sofa, then go for it. As is, the dining room is like a stage, and the sofa's is the audience. Best of luck!

T thanked hatetoshop
  • lepstein
    6 år siden
    What if you were to put drape on only one side of each window? I would let them hang down. Also, you might want to decide if two together adds weight or becomes too heavy.
    T thanked lepstein
  • lepstein
    6 år siden
    If a single drape on one side would do, you could address th "gap" behind the couch.
  • Irene Morresey
    6 år siden
    I meant to say, you may need time to get used to them, add an accent colour to your room perhaps even more white
    T thanked Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    Tare It Up!!!
    6 år siden
    layer your curtains , inside layer soft, perhaps semi transparent.. make floor to ceiling... make look like one continuous curtain. I suggest hiring a pro to create this look, you won't regret it ...I'll try to find a pic and send.
    T thanked Tare It Up!!!
  • PRO
    Tare It Up!!!
    6 år siden
    example... of layering, continuous curtain , floor to ceiling
  • marylut
    6 år siden
    Adding so many dark drapes really impacted the feel of the room. Everything is a dark shade of brown, except the rug. And all the furniture matches like in a store display. And there are no walls to bring in color via wall art. Maybe add some visual interest in another way - use the background color or accent color in the rug for your pillows and tabletop nicknacks. Especially if that color is in the drapes - It looks like the drapes may have at least 2 colors.
    T thanked marylut
  • jck910
    6 år siden

well if you didn't buy them don't go crazy trying to make them work. they're a little to short rods aren't substantial enough looking for all that fabric and the commenter is right about leaving that one space behind the sofa without a panel just makes it look like you don't have enough panels

T thanked jck910
  • T
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you all for your advice! I have since rearranged the curtains, getting rid of some of them and placing it in between windows like in the following picture, so the room looks brighter and less busy. Where can I get a rod like that? Otherwise, can I keep my rods and buy connectors? Thanks again for all your help!

• Bri Bosh
    6 år siden
    Raising the rods to the ceiling would make a world of difference. I think it would be worth buying new ones that are lighter in color and longer. Larger rug so front legs of all furniture are on it. Remove mini blinds.
    T thanked Bri Bosh
  • cdee18
    6 år siden

I agree with Irene Morresey's suggestions. A fatter, continuous rod would change the look, but you're locked into the height you can hang them at unless you could add a band of contrast fabric at the top or bottom. This is a pretty simple measure, cut and sew project. If you don't sew, I bet you could find someone to do it for you.

Another way to add height would be to add a valence or cornice at the top.

If you are handy with woodworking (or know someone who is), you could construct a cornice box to fit your space and then cover it with fabric. The covering part is done with staples, hot glue and possibly some decorative upholstery tacks. No sewing involved.

Also, do you usually keep your blinds up or down? It seems that your blinds are really fighting with the drapes. You might want to consider replacing them with sheers, lace panels, or shades. There are so many possibilities. Here's a couple of examples:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

T thanked cdee18
  • PRO
    Tare It Up!!!
    6 år siden
    you don't need to use rods at all. you can go rodless...here's what I have in my own ..excuse the mess... slightly redecorating, washing and halfway putting up Christmas decor ha .. GL
    T thanked Tare It Up!!!
  • dottt1
    3 år siden

Without the tie back thing (un-bunched), it looks really nice! I think that's all you need to do.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.