webuser_282594

Help me finish this room

Kim KP
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

My niece was so impressed with the help that the Houzzers gave me for my house, she asked me to post about a room she needs help with. This was meant to be the formal living room but they have no need for it so she is going to use it as a space for her 14 & 12 year old sons to entertain their friends. I have already told her the rug placement is wrong so they’re going to fix that. She doesn’t want window treatments because it would block their beautiful view. There will be a shuffeboard table next to the windows after Christmas so the sofa needs to stay in that position. She needs art, lamps and finishing touches. Thank you in advance for your help

(25) kommentarer

• Kim KP
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

This is the before pic of the room. They just had the fireplace updated. Also, I should mention, this is the first room seen as you enter the house so it still needs to be “grown up” looking.

• Kras Childers
    6 år siden
    remove the 2 chairs from.behind sofa, move the sofa back to better place the rug, maybe get a more colorful fun rug maybe with some soft texture, loose the tree, add puffer seats on each side of fire place, change direction of lightning above fireplace. you are not really displaying art there and the glare may be too much for TV/ gaming. Definitely go with the rad artwork with guitars, and other fun painting that are age appropriate. Add fun teenager style pillows to sofas loose the ones you have now, find some fuzzy throw blankets to drape over sofa. Find a Marshalls, Burlington, World Market or TJ Maxx for fun lighting. I agree, don't cover those great windows!
    Kim KP thanked Kras Childers
  • Kras Childers
    6 år siden
    Grown ups will love the cozy room too!!
  • Kim KP
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Jae, some good ideas there. I already told her about the rug and the chairs. The art will need to coordinate with the rest of the house and not be too “kids looking “ which is what I meant about being grown up looking. She’ll like the bean bag ideas :)

• Kim KP
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Everdebz, unlike me, she really likes landscape art. Can you see if you can work your magic?

• everdebz
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden
    Kim KP thanked everdebz
  • Kim KP
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I found this piece and she really likes it.

• Kim KP
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I was thinking pops of white and silver might help break up that gray. Thoughts?

• everdebz
    6 år siden

Idk if she's buying any new furniture - probably not - but I couldn't live with so much charcoal and dark. So the white/ silver added in doesn't do it for me... just me maybe.

• Kim KP
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I know, it’s a lot of gray! Here’s an inspiration pic with the white

• suezbell
    6 år siden

Think storage décor -- space will be needed for gaming/media related items, etc.

Consider floor to ceiling built ins on each side of the fireplace -- solid door cabinets below, glass doors and/or open shelves above.

You might replace the coffee table with storage ottoman -- choosing one with a reversible top could enable it to be used as either a foot stool or table.

Floor lamps and/or lamp/table combos are something to consider:

http://isabellevea.me/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/lamp-table-combo-target-vintage-floor-lamps-attached-magazine-rack-office-lowes.jpg

You could laminate the boards from board games your family already has as wall décor -- chess, scrabble, backgammon, monopoly -- and keep the game pieces in the boxes in the storage you add.

Alternative wall art: Pressed metal wall décor reflecting your family's interest -- such as music -- might also be something to consider.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/b2/75/45/b275450630cd72e9faee27363a696269--metal-crafts-musical-instruments.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/76/dd/79/76dd792b537e56b9d08e35527d480e18.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/a1/58/24/a158243d7fc58f8ec28c6e8b5afd1b9e--metal-wall-decor-metal-wall-art.jpg

You could add (shallow) modern boxed storage as wall décor -- but don't forget that open shelves and objects on them will need dusting.

Consider adding castors to any furnishings -- ottoman, table, chairs -- that you might add to make them easier to rearrange.

Get the family members that will most use the room involved.

Kim KP thanked suezbell
  • silviakunst
    6 år siden
    First , it's a beautiful room ...it just needs some touches to complete ... I would put black and white large photographs along the wall towards the fireplace ...and buy a wonderful standing lamp that bends over the couch ....think lights , candles ...maybe a narrow table behind the sofa ..with a candelabras ..or a round large vase with white flowers spreading out ....it only needs some touches and a dramatic lamp in stainless steel ...or chrome ...
    Kim KP thanked silviakunst
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 år siden

Hey Kim would love to give some suggestions.....I can make up an idea board for your niece..but not until after Christmas..so I will check back!:)

Kim KP thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Crespo Design Group
    6 år siden

What about a bigger rug, a different coffee table, and some great artwork? Below are some of our designs that might help you get going.

Kim KP thanked Crespo Design Group
  • Kim KP
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

So we’ve made a little progress on this room. She decided she wanted shelves next to the fireplace. We found a painting that her boys loved and I finally talked her into a bigger rug. (Yay me!) made a trip to Crate & Barrel today and found a few things for the shelves and the pouf. What else do we need on the shelves? I know we need some greenery and are going to look for that tomorrow

• chantels2u
    6 år siden
    It might not be what your looking for, but posters.com has some awesome ideas for wall decor. And they have about everything!
    As far as the shelves, I like the silver! Do the kids have any interests that could be incorporated into the room?
  • Kim KP
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Chantels, we found this one on art.com. It was about the only one we could all agree on. The boys love the outdoors and go hunting with their dad so they fell in love with that one. Not my first choice but it’s way better than others they looked at :)

• chantels2u
    6 år siden
    Kim, I love allposters.com you can size, matte and frame all the pieces. You will be in there for hours.
  • mamadada
    6 år siden

Are prints with glass and mattes still in style?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 år siden

Hey just checking in...looking good...yes art with matte and framed is a classic but to give it a fresh look I love a very wide frame put on smaller art..

• Kim KP
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Hi Julie! Happy New Year! I was on a break from everything for a while because of the holidays and then I had that horrible flu for 2 weeks so now I’m back at it.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.