nadia_bcd

Which white is right?

Nadia Bee
6 år siden
Hi all, I'm hoping to get some advice on choosing a white paint for a living room renovation.

The room receives morning sun only and throws off a bit of green light in the afternoon due to a large deciduous tree outside.

The options for paint (L to R in photo) include, Dulux:
1. Natural White
2. Lexicon Quarter
3. White Polar Quarter
4. Snowy Mountains Half

Note, we're looking to change the floors to something lighter - similar to the sample you can see. And we have a grey couch, which throws off a slightly warm tone.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(24) kommentarer

• Jodie Bennett
    6 år siden
    I used Lexicon in my new home. 1/4 on the ceiling and full strength on the walls. It would suit with the couch as it only has a bit if black in it. No other hidden colours to confuse the eye. I'm really happy with the choice as our house is all black, white and grey.
  • girlguides
    6 år siden
    Morning sun or east throws a blue tinged white and lexicon is a cool blue tinged paint. I like my white polar quarter - sometimes blue in bright morning sun but mostly Grey tinge or cream Perfect
  • 13justjulie
    6 år siden
    I have flat lexicon quarter on the ceilings and satin snowy mountain half on the walls and am really pleased with the look. It is hard to believe what a tricky decision choosing the 'right' white is! Good luck
  • girlguides
    6 år siden
    See how natural white picks up other colours in this case the wood floor and shows pinky tone? Do you like this?
    Similarly can you see blue tone in lexicon not as striking as pink in natural white plus to me it looks too stark against couch
    White polar is definitely cream
    Snowy may be best for you depending upon how you feel about my above comments
    Good luck and love to see your final pics
  • C P
    6 år siden
    We have Snowy Mountains Half all through our sunfilled extension as well as our much darker original house. Looks great, isnt stark but still feels pure white. It just feels clean and bright but not at all sterile.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 år siden

I would use warm white.

• KK1000
    6 år siden
    No 4 looks warmer I would use that one.
  • juliahocking
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Hi Nadia Bee

Lexicon is my choice as it seems to compliment the samples you have lined up

It is a clear white and makes the other materials look 'clean'

Cheers

• PRO
    Zohi Interiors
    6 år siden

I'd go with Snowy Mountains Half but agree with the not over-thinking it. It's really hard to tell in the photo exactly how the light plays in your home. Congratulations on considering the options. Not enough people do consider the actual underlying tone of white - there are so many whites and lots of them are absolutely unsuitable.

• Barbara Dunstan
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

I'm certainly no expert on colours but my daughter who has a fantastic eye for colour helped me choose the wall colour based on the flooring we were having which were tiles. I would want to be sure the two very large areas sitting against each other do match. My tiles were a warm tone so all the other colours had to be warm so I've learned, conversly if you choose a cool colour then all the other colours should be a cool tone

I went through 15 paint pots before I found the right colour but find it I did. It was a challege but well worth it as the finished result looks fabulous.

Having said that, it is harder to find a white that is a warm tone but I ended up with Dulux White Exchange quarter for the ceiling and trims and Berger Polished Stone half strength for the walls, this colour is very similar to Dulux Hog Bristle

• Creativelychallenged
    6 år siden

no.4

• AC LB
    6 år siden
    Number 4
  • Jeni M
    6 år siden

Hmm, Lexicon is sharp and clean, but stark, so my preference is no. 1 natural white, softer but is not cream

• Jackie R
    6 år siden

I am a big fan of Natural White, its still warmish whereas Lexicon can veer towards cold.

• PRO
    The Styling Edge
    6 år siden

Try Casper White by Dulux for a warm white. I used Lexicon in my own home and regret it because it throws blue. Casper White is our favourite by far!!

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Nadia, would you please move the timber stool to the far left and post a photo so I can see how it appears nearer the somewhat cooler whites?

• Sue P
    2 år siden

What colour did you decide on? My couch is the same colour and I went with lexicon quarter but a designer suggested a I go with snowy mountains quarter or half.

• Cee
    2 år siden

I know nothing whatesoever about white paint & have a recurring nightmare about the day I will need to pick one...

I had a friend that used a lovely ice-blue toned white. However, the effect made the living room feel as inviting as the inside of a fridge & made her look ghoulishly pale.

I think I'd treat it like makeup. Are you a 'warm, neutral or cool' toned person? What shade of white t-shirt suits you best? You want to look sensational against your walls :)

• Barbara Dunstan
    2 år siden

@Cee,

Yes precisely what can happen with whites.

I know nothing either but my daughter has a fabulous eye for what's in a colour that quite frankly bewilders me as I simply can't see the blue, pink or orange tone so I was lucky that all the colours my daughter chose all matched each other and in my case were all warm tones which I love.

If you have an artist as a friend that would help you no end but otherwise take the colour cards or names of the paints you've already used to a paint store and they'll help you chose or even get yourself a colour wheel and spin it around and try to determine what you've used on your walls and look at the colours opposite to your colour or lastly get someone from the paint store to come and see your furnishings and they would be able to find colours that work for you.

• K s
    2 år siden

Just painted 3 rooms in lexicon but looked blue just changed them all to natural white much better

• Rosa Jannis Ramsay
    10 måneder siden

Lexicon full half or quatter plz. What natural white

• Kate
    10 måneder siden

Rosa. This is an old post. Suggest you start a new one with some more specifics about what else is in room and the tone your are after. Lexicon has a blue grey tinge. As you go to half and quarter this becomes less noticeable but will always make it a cool colour. I half 1/2 in my otherwise grey tiled bathroom and my husband finds it too much for him. But rest of our house is warm toned and this bathroom is south facing so no warming sun

• Barbara Dunstan
    10 måneder siden

Rosa, for a warm tone in a home with neutral tones and by that I mean beige and not grey, I chose Dulux White Exchange for all trim and ceilings and used Bergrer Polished Stone 1/4 I think for the walls and I love it.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.