marymac1

Marble mosaic shower floor?

Mary McAdams
6 år siden

I see TONS of photos of people using real marble mosaics on shower floors. I have particularly fallen in love with this one. I am hoping to recreate something similar to this in my new build. We have a 4X6 tile redi shower base installed. Does REAL marble moasic such as this one from lowes hold up on a shower floor. I am going to use a gray grout because I have done white before and it was a NIGHTMARE to keep clean... even cleaning it seemed to turn it yellow. Any thoughts welcome! Thanks

(mosaic marble from lowes Link)

(9) kommentarer

• Mary McAdams
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Sounds like I’m off to a terrible start
  • PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    6 år siden

Youre not, you are asking smart informed questions and thats the absolute best start.

• mjammjam
    6 år siden

Can anyone recommend a porcelain tile that looks like this marble? I, too, have the same question, and my kitchen designer told me to use real marble. My husband does not want the hassle of worrying about staining the floor.

• ILoveRed
    6 år siden

Same question. I love the marble look. But I don't think I will risk it.

Porcelain recommendations?

• PRO
    Renovation and Construction Services
    6 år siden

I would recommend going to a local tile supply store and they should be able to guide you in the right direction. I have a members only business I work with called ProSource that has a whole showroom of different types of tile. Some tile manufacturers have like 20 different pricing tiers depending on the amount of tile you buy. Being a member allows me to have the larger buying power (theirs), wider selection, and thus a lower price point than if I went to the manufacturer direct and opened an account. They also sell at a wholesale price (My discounted price) or list price. I always pass my wholesale price to the clients - It's the right thing to do!

Most of the porcelain tile mimics an actual marble or is very similar so if you find a marble you like then that will give you a better direction to find a manufacturer that can come close. Here is a link to just a google search that shows the wide array of tile that you can get.

https://tilebar.com/collection/porcelain-tile/shop-by-look-porcelain/marble-look-porcelain-tile.html

Mjammjam - I'm not sure of the type of marble that was listed in the original picture. Save it and go to a local supply store and see if they can find something that looks-alike. Best of luck in your endeavor!

And food for thought - Not all tile is made equally. Their is a multitude of different rankings for hardness and durability given the area of application. One is called a PEI (Porcelain Enamel Institute) rating but there are other factors pending what type of tile you go with (Slip resistance, Moh's hardness, abrasion resistance, and frost resistance, breaking strength, water absorption, shade variation, etc.). You can go to The Home Depot and get a good looking floor tile but its PEI rating is like a 2, whereas I can go to a different manufacturer with the same look and gets a much higher PEI rating (around a 4). It cost a bit more but the tile is suited for the application and is more durable in the long run. Well worth the additional $ in my eyes. A good tile salesman will help you find the best tile for your application but it's good to be educated going in! :)

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    6 år siden

Nice breakdown @ Reno ACS.

• Becky H
    6 år siden

I’m was looking at this same tile for an accent in the inset in our hall bathroom.

• User
    6 år siden

Marble absords water and therefore waterstains regardless of sealing. Porcelain is the prefered choice. Find a coordinating stone piece for your curb to step up the quality.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.