mabeldingeldine

LED lights are causing my induction cooktop to buzz

mabeldingeldine
6 år siden

We just installed LED recessed lights in our kitchen (NDR Razors) and ever since, my GE Profile induction cooktop makes a loud, annoying buzz when the lights are on. We have a new electrical panel and the line to the cooktop was installed with the new panel.

What can I do, other than cook in the dark, to mitigate this problem?

Cross posted in Appliances

(9) kommentarer

• DavidR
    6 år siden

Are the lights on a dimmer? It might be producing lots of powerline "hash" -- that is, radiating noise of various frequencies well into the radio frequency range back into the powerline. Presumably your cooktop is unusually sensitive to such noise.

Another possibility is that the power supplies in the lights themselves are the source of the noise.

Or, it could be the combination of this particular dimmer and these particular lights.

If you have the lights on a dimmer, I would first try replacing the dimmer with a conventional snap switch, and see if the noise abates or disappears. If it does, try changing to a different brand or type of dimmer.

If they're not on a dimmer, I'd try disconnecting all the lights from power, then adding them back in one by one, to see if any single light is the source. Line powered LED lights have switching power supplies built in, to
    convert 120vac (or 240vac in other countries) to the lower voltage that
    LEDs need. It's possible that one of your light units has defective noise filtering in its power supply.

If they all make noise, it would be pretty surprising, because the page you linked to seems to say that they meet regulatory requirements. I'm not familiar with Canada's, though, so I don't know how complete their compliance is.

If the easy fixes above don't work, you may be stuck with either replacing all the lights, or changing the cooktop.

One possible "quick fix" before going that drastic route might be to install a noise filter. I would wire it in ahead of the lights, maybe in a cellar junction box. I've never had to do this, so I don't have a specific recommendation. However, a quick web search turned up this one, which is supposed to be wired in ahead of noisy devices when they're interfering with an X10 home automation system. Others here may have their own recommendations for noise filters.

Please let us know how it goes.

mabeldingeldine thanked DavidR
  • mabeldingeldine
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks so much this is super helpful. I'm actually in the US (Maine) and that dimmer is on the list of compatible dimmers, but I'll try and swap out the dimmer this weekend.

A dimmer is a must, any suggestions about brands/types would be helpful. I may opt for the noise filter first, just because the lights are in a cathedral ceiling and challenging to reach. I'll ask my electrician if he has recommendations for a noise filter.

The lights will go before the cooktop, but I'd prefer to keep them both!

• User
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

"Noise" is a fairly ambiguous term, and a bit inaccurate. Here is a primer on what is actually happening.

https://energyefficientdevices.org/power-factor-and-harmonic-distortion-in-ac-led-lighting.html

The effect is cumulative. The more LEDs, the more distorted (harmonics) the sine wave gets, and the less the amperage and voltage (power factor) are "on the same wavelength." (Literally)

A dimmer that utilizes/produces the most sinewave-like (sinusoidal) form may also help.

It is not the very high frequency (kHz & GHz) like a radio signal, but more like a tuning fork and piano where the certain vibration of an unwanted wave form on the magnetic coils in the cooktop causes the noise, or the vibration that is consequentially transfered to the mounting brackets and enclosure. This also happens when a transformer buzzes. The current makes the ferrous metal move just like the coil in a doorbell makes the metal rod strike the bell. The cooktop was just not engineered to account for that particular random non-typical wave form.

It may be helpful to talk to the power company to see if they will test the power, and maybe even correct it. Your neighbor's house can even be contributing to the problem.

mabeldingeldine thanked User
  • Houzz-bruger-ID-704701065
    5 år siden

This was really helpful. i Have the same issue. Would switching out the dimmers for the more expensive electronic low voltage version help with the powerline hash?

• Houzz-bruger-ID-685947466
    5 år siden

we just remodeled our kitchen and installed a kitchen aid 36 induction cooktop and 15 5 inch razor nor led lights

when the lites are on light weight induction pans buzz and the buzzzing changes as we use the dimmer. Cast iron pans do not buzz at all

tried trouble shooting dimmer tried different dimmers took dimmer out of the circuit taking lites out of circuit adding one by one. Still buzzers

called the led manufacturer and the said the led lites are sensitive to neutral and ground wiring and cause buzzing with different appliances

my main panel has neutral and grounds run off the same wiring strip. We would have to rewire the entire panel

question to the the original person who wrote about the buzzing. Have you solved the buzzing issue?

• DavidR
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

"called the led manufacturer and the said the led lites are sensitive
    to neutral and ground wiring and cause buzzing with different appliances"

I'm not an engineer, but that sounds pretty iffy to me.

You could try twisting the cables leading to the lights, to reduce the amount of noise they emit. Or replace them with metallic-shielded wiring, such as AC or metal conduit.

Or change either the lights or the cooktop.

Or just live with it.

• mabeldingeldine
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Frustratingly, no, we have not solved the buzzing issue. It makes me a little crazy, but I am living with it, the buzz being the only part of the entire kitchen remodel that I don't like.

I have fairly heavy Cuisinart Multiclad pots and pans, and they buzz, I have not tried cast iron yet, but I will.

I don't know about twisting the wires leading to the lights, net time I talk with my electrician I will ask. For now, I frequently cook without the lights on, or just live with it.

• PRO
    Counterra, LLC
    4 år siden

Great thread, Sharing to our customers. We have 6 recent Induction installations and only one case of the BUZZZZing range via LED. Every case is different but this one was multiply pans vs 100% ferrous aka cast iron. Before you smash yours try changing to cast iron.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.