tootsiefreeley

Help sourcing pendant lights

Northstar
6 år siden

Hi everyone,

I have searched the internet high and low for pendant lights similar to what is pictured, I cannot seem to find them in Australia and the shipping from the US is huge!

If anyone knows of a shop or online store where something similiar is sold I would be so happy!

thanks guys

(38) kommentarer

• zaffa
    6 år siden
    Not quite the same but similar. They are hand blown original pieces from Mark Douglass Designs in Richmond Melbourne. You can get them in clear glass and you could always add the chains if you wanted. Good luck!
  • zaffa
    6 år siden
    Sorry. Forgot to add the picture!!
  • Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks Zaffa, Would you do 3 medium size or 2 large pendants over the island?

• zaffa
    6 år siden
    Depends on how big they are and the proportions of your island bench. Generally, an odd number looks best. I am going for one oversized pendant to one side of my island bench. Perhaps post a photo of your space for an idea?
    Northstar thanked zaffa
  • Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

• Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

i am thinking two of these, one either side???

• zaffa
    6 år siden
    Stunning kitchen! Well done. I'd go 3 across your island. The lights suit your kitchen perfectly!
    Northstar thanked zaffa
  • Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks Zaffa, the lights are 43cm diameter though, I'm afraid 3 would be too big? I'm really struggling sourcing a light i like! the light for the living is very modern, i bought it months ago before i saw the kitchen

• zaffa
    6 år siden
    Could you hang them to one side but suspended at different heights in a cluster? You seem to have the ceiling height? Otherwise, two would work as well. You could also make up some mock lights (in terms of dimension) to work out the best configuration for the lights. Hard decision!
    Northstar thanked zaffa
  • zaffa
    6 år siden
    I do think 3 would look divine if the proportions work.
    Northstar thanked zaffa
  • voutred
    6 år siden
    Fat shack vintage are good for pendant lights
  • scottevie
    6 år siden

We installed similar lights above our kitchen island. Love them, apart from the cleaning! Making paper circles in the diameter of the glass shade to place out along the bench top was really helpful in deciding how many to install. We ended up with 2 not the 3 I originally had in mind.

Northstar thanked scottevie
  • Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you, yes I think I will head over with some cardboard cutouts when the painters are finished, I love the ones from ivory and deene but they are only 16cm and I think bigger might be nicer.

scottevie would you mind posting a picture? I think I am leaning towards two larger pendants but I’m not sure how big is too big? The island is 2.6m

thanks so much

• karen
    6 år siden
    Northstar thanked karen
  • annb1997
    6 år siden

You can easily use 3 x 46cm clear glass pendants over your 2.6m bench. Very good suggestions to experiment with cardboard cutouts. Keep in mind clear glass will not take up as much visual space as solid ones. I think the lights you have selected will look stunning over your beautiful dark cabinet. Love the look of your kitchen & butler's pantry. Please post After Photos! : )

Northstar thanked annb1997
  • Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you.

we had originally thought of 3 x large pendants but they ended up looking like disco balls on the roof so we thought that the clear glass would not take up as much of the eye. How far apart would you space the 43cm lights?

• scottevie
    6 år siden

I don't gave a great photo to demonstrate our pendants sorry, not suret Hat this one helps much. Our island is 2000 X 900 (I think depth of island is also important when judging appropriate size for pendant lights, especially if hanging fairly low, as you don't want people to bump heads on them!) and the max diameter of the glass is approx 250mm. I think two 430mm or three of the narrower ones Julie suggested would look good.

• Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you for that scottevie, they look amazing! Love your kitchen! Fabulous!

we went to some shops yesterday and couldn’t find anything like my photos.

I managed to find a photo of the ones above, they looked really large so I think if I was to go with them I would only use too.

if anyone has any other suggestions for lights I’d really appreciate it. I may not have picked the best choice??

• Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Those look stunning scottevie! What a beautiful kitchen!

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Northstar, this screenshot of Houzz story may be helpful in your Dilemna about spacing etc. After selecting Stories, just type the title of article into space and it should load. I've also screenshot parts of other articles that may help.

There's no magic number when it comes to pendants, and no hard and fast rules about spacing as evidenced by the various articles. I thought the one about matching number of pendants to number of stools was interesting.

I really like your choice of clear glass. Size, number of pendants, spacing and drop variation is really where you can put your own stamp on overall style of your kitchen.

• scottevie
    6 år siden

Thanks, your lovely choice of dark cabinets will be easier to keep looking clean than our white ones! He is link to the lights we used but one size larger (still smaller than the one you were looking at though) https://www.livingstyles.com.au/fontaine-35-5cm-glass-pendant-light-chrome/ purchased them online from there - it was 3 years ago though so suprised they still stock them. Downside of this particular design is the drop length is limited to two heights (depending on how many sections of the poles are used - we only used 2 out of 3 sections 2.7m ceiling height but hubby is tall) and the screws are a bit more obvious than I expected in the ceiling cap (?). Not sure what state you are in but as schots emporium in Melbourne (or online) has similar designs available, I think - some incorporating timber elements which might be nice too.

• dreamer
    6 år siden
    I decided on three pendants. Bench is 3500. Pendants are 30cm high. Purchased from beacon lighting. My kitchen is a compromise between my husband wanting contemporary and myself wanting hamptons.
  • annb1997
    6 år siden

Some ideas. First two show did options for whichever bulbs you want. Interesting how it changes the look entirely.

This next one has rod instead of chain, which might not appeal but may be easier to dust.

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Those are pretty myrraygeorge.

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Sorry...murraygeorge...one-handed typing!

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Two from livingstyles, as mentioned.

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Another suggestion is to visit some of your local,lighting stores and ask to browse through their catalogues. I did this years ago when I was trying to source American Schoolhouse lights. Beacon Lighting and Australian Lighting have extensive ranges, BTW.

• PRO
    Castelle and Leon
    6 år siden
    Hi, we have similar and can source as well. www.castelleandleon.com.au
  • Warren Meade
    6 år siden

Hello Northstar

1 thing to remember when choosing your lights .If you want the light down choose a down facing lampholder, dont drop them to low as the GLARE from the globes in your eyes every time they are on is annoying as, every lit pendant you showed had an incandescent globe so if your going to use Fluro globes they will look worse.LED globes with a cleeear glass would be best. Avoid carbon filament even though they look great its a low light output. Depending on your budget take a look at Mondoluce on line they have some amazing glass pendants from Italy and in multiple sizes.

Northstar thanked Warren Meade
  • Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you so much warren,

I couldn’t manage to find the exact light I was after so I decided to go completely different, I’m not sure if it was a good idea but I braved the change....

heres a photo of what I’ll be getting, it’s a custom made light in rose gold.... but with a black cord....

it may good amazing, it may be a massive risk but heck why not be different lol

I’ll definitely get Led, thank you so much for that info

• girlguides
    6 år siden
    Wow lightsabers :)
  • annb1997
    6 år siden

Very cool lights, Northstar. They are going to look amazing! Good for you. : )

• julie herbert
    6 år siden
    Oooh!! Northstar, they are gorgeous, dare to be different, they will look stunning.
  • PRO
    Crown Electrical Solutions
    6 år siden

Hi Northstar, check out www.beaconlighting.com.au they have an extensive range of pendant lights

• Brenna
    6 år siden

Who is custom making the lights...I love them!!!

• Northstar
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Bream unique lighting in Sydney, they arrived this week and are being fitted by the electrician now-they are amazing! Highly recommend!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.