sally_medd

What’s wrong with this seating area?

Sally Medd
6 år siden
Hi we have recently renovated and created a large kitchen diner, we always wanted a small seating area but nothing too cosy as didn’t want it to feel like a lounge, however I know I need to change things but I’m not sure what as I’m not sure what’s wrong/not working, footstool we do use, so it is actually useful, although will need reupholstering to match kitchen decor. What’s it missing please?

(16) kommentarer

• Daisy England
    6 år siden
    I think the chairs block the flow to the doors. I'd not have them.
  • honeypoppet
    6 år siden
    How about rotating the whole setup 90 degrees, so the chairs are on the radiator wall? I believe that would help the flow of the room and reduce the cluttered feeling.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 år siden
    I agree with above. You have done a great job but at the moment your seating area is looking out over an awkward middle area that’s bare and the dining table. I would rotate this so it’s more ‘part of the room’ and has a purpose of looking out over the garden / or the kitchen to communicate with who ever is manning the kitchen. This will give much better flow and feeling with in the space and take advantage of the views and natural light, a little better. Best of luck :)
  • Sally Medd
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thanks all, yes in the summer the chairs will be facing the other way or along the radiator wall, it faces this way at the moment as we are decorating the lounge and using it as the lounge area in the evenings as this way it faces the tv ...not ideal at all as I agree focal point is missing, was thinking maybe I’ll move the dining table to near the bifolds for the winter time and move the chairs to where the table is.
  • Ahmad Arief Hakimi Yunus
    6 år siden
    Turn the chairs around so it'd face the window. Better lighting, better view, and a more comfortable flow of the space used.
  • Sarah Whiting
    6 år siden
    Play with the position of the chairs so the backs are more against the radiator wall, that way you can look out onto the garden and towards the kitchen and diner too. Far be it from me to tell you what furniture to like or to spend unnecessarily but from the photo those chairs look a bit too big for the space. Would those small tub type chairs or something similar sized work better?. Love the fur throw you have, more cozy stuff like that will help create more of a comfy seating zone, pop a little plant ( maybe a small succulent)on the coffee table and there you go x
  • PRO
    London Essentials
    6 år siden

Turning the chairs towards or perpendicular to the windows would open up the space and also allow the sitter to look out at the view.

• Sally Medd
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Have moved to the side this way there’s a chair for whichever way you wish to look, it does look better already and have moved the floor lamp.
  • Hazel Kindley
    6 år siden
    Much cosier!
  • Sally Medd
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thought I’d share our kitchen renovation. It was knocking down a toilet and shower room that was between two rooms and the wall to the other room to make a large kitchen diner.
  • caro7342
    6 år siden

Hi Sally We are looking into doing something similar to yours looking at your photos. Do you mind letting me know what the size of your kitchen is now? Also what are the measurements of the seating area bit? It's exactly what I'm looking for. It looks lovely by the way! You must be very pleased...

• Sally Medd
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    It’s 5mx8m the seating dining area is 3x5m
  • Hazel Kindley
    6 år siden
    Hi Sally, we are looking to do something similar as part of an upcoming renovation. How do you find it walking through the seating area to get to the dining room?
  • Sally Medd
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    There’s no issue - the good thing is the seating dining area can be moved if need be, but we do tend to eat on the island most evenings as it seats 4. But as we now have the seating facing the kitchen the area, from the kitchen to the dining table is free from anything so no problem.
  • Lalitte Stolper
    6 år siden

Maybe a larger rug (in a strong colour) that could go under the arm chairs as well as the pouffs/table would pull it all together - create a kind of island on the sea of polished wood?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.