claire_jones12

Help needed with new colour scheme

Claira Jones
6 år siden
We’re in the process of redecorating our main bedroom. Previously it had a very natural colour scheme of pale coffee and various hues of brown. For the new colour scheme I’d chosen a gorgeous palette based around sage green and olive (similar to photo below) to compliment our oak furniture and planned to reuse lamps and some accessories. The walls have been painted a neutral pale coffee colour and I intended to introduce the new colours in with a new headboard, ceiling lighting, curtains, throw and cushions.

So the new headboard that i’d ordered online arrived yesterday and it’s a much paler green than I’d expected. It has a bluey hue to it similar to colour below and sadly doesn’t go with the sage green / Olive scheme I had in mind. Due to its size, I can’t really send it back. I’m trying to pretend that I’m happy with it, as my partner already thinks that I’m overly fussey which I am!).

I’d really appreciate help to identify an accent colour to work with, preferably one I can live with and doesn’t involve blue!!

Advanced thanks!

(14) kommentarer

• honeypoppet
    6 år siden
    Do you have a photo or a link you can post that shows the headboard?
  • Claira Jones
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Really difficult to get a true likeness of colour, which is probably why I’m in this situation! Third photo is with the curtains I bought to go up.

I’m wondering if it would look more like sage green with cream bedding...
  • Claira Jones
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    It’s much, much lighter than the photos show.
  • minnie101
    6 år siden

It's hard if the colour doesn't show properly but going on what you've said a coral colour should work.

• minnie101
    6 år siden

Adding a green to the blue green and yellow green might also work.

• rachelmidlands
    6 år siden
    Hi, I can see the difference in tones. But it may still be possible to work with both colours. As Minnie says, coral or a terracotta would work as an accent colour or possibly yellows as well.
  • PRO
    SE Interiors
    6 år siden
    You can go with the safe option of painting the walls white and adding in your colours through accessories. Or if you wanted more of a statement then you can choose a very similar colour to the headboard and paint the walls the same, like the picture attached
  • Emily
    6 år siden
    Tangent question sorry! But you guys that are good with colour combinations do you know of a good resource for helping decide on colours?
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 år siden

Hi Emily, I teach colour theory and my best advice is to try to think of how colours interact with each other, rather than whether you like them individually. We only have names for about thirty colours, and yet we can see hundreds of different hues. There is alot of good stuff on youtube and there is the Farrow and Ball 'How to Decorate' book. The main issue is recognising tone (how dark or light something is) and undertones (the discernible hue) that is, if something has a blue tinge, red tinge etc, even if it looks grey. It's a big subject.

• Emily
    6 år siden
    Thanks colour happy. It’s just I need to decorate bedrooms and to be honest I’ve probably always decorated with very limited palettes before but now I wanted to try and use more colours in a layered way.
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 år siden

Do some research on complementary colour schemes and harmonious (or analogous) colour schemes as a starting point. Pinterest is also really good for interior colour stuff.

• Carolina
    6 år siden
    I’d say the headboard is more of a duck egg colour. Here are some colour schemes for duck egg. Hope it helps. I think it’s a lovely colour headboard.
  • Claira Jones
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thanks for all your help and apologies for the delay in responding. I‘ve decided that tartan is the way forward and will be guided by the fabric that closely matches the headboard. A number of samples have been requested! Thanks again!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.