acarpi

Help me update a 70s wood-paneled officr

acarpi
6 år siden

This is a 15x18 foot room that is used as my combo office/closet. I have a corner desk that I’d like to paint (white, blue?) and a turquoise lacquered bookcase from Ikea that i love. I want to modernize and brighten and generally clean up the room. There is a Ton of wood trim. My first thought is to paint the walls all white. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

(7) kommentarer

• gtcircus
    6 år siden
    If you do anything with this room, it has to be done professionally. A spray lacquer would work but that kind of application is done by a professional. Otherwise leave it alone.
  • MarleneM
    6 år siden
    Maybe this photo could provide you with some inspiration. It’s still traditional as your room is, but done in a more updated way. You could update the back of the bookshelves and some of the wall panels with wallpaper or fabric panels, then a large area rug could add more colour to room.
    Lake Minnetonka Chateau · Mere information
  • PRO
    Interior Synergy
    6 år siden

I love the floor. I would consider painting out everything on the walls including the wainscoting. Keep the main doors and trim around them the natural wood. Also keep the crown molding and the shelf unit and trim wood. The rest paint white.

You need a modern area carpet and additional accessories to make it possible to keep the IKEA shelf. Bring in some colour with a comfy chair in a neutral colour, with cushions that bring in the colour of the shelf. If you paint out the wood on the walls, you might not need to paint the desk. You need some plants on the window sill, and a big one somewhere else in the room. Put artwork in the areas framed by the wainscoting.

• Linda
    6 år siden
    The room is beautiful. Look on Houzz at additional wood paneled offices because this definitely has more character than painted wood or Sheetrock.
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 år siden

This study is stunning, do not paint that wood. Introducing brighter colored furniture is smart, but the turquoise doesn't go. It's not sophisticated enough of a color. If it was a deeper jewel toned teal maybe, but not that bright color.

To help soften and brighten get a nice rug, put curtains on that bay window wall and get some rich color in there. Think dark red, emerald green, navy, plum etc. Introducing some metallics would help too.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

That book case doesn’t work in that space at all.I would do a glass desk with chrome legs and some art on the walls and at least roman shades on the windows . Get a couple of sapien bookcases in a color if you want book storage and move the turquoise piece to another room I would not be tempted to paint that wood right now add some lightness to the space some really good lighting it will make a huge difference.Why not use the book shelves that are already there? BTW why are they a different color?What ever you have hanging on the inside of those door get rid of it those things on the outside of the doors looks tacky.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.