bouchra_idlibi

Must haves for kitchen cabinets?

Bouchra Idlibi
6 år siden
Hello there, I'm building a new home and I'm in the process of picking cabinets. What are your recommended must haves in a kitchen? I want my kitchen to be practical and organized, with a designated space for everything. I do have a pantry as well. Thanks for your help!

(62) kommentarer

• User
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

The #1 thing you need is a good Kitchen Designer. architects and builders usually design unworkable dreck. The KD will get you what you need it, where you need it.

• Melissa R
    6 år siden

I have no uppers in the majority of my small kitchen, so of course, I have drawers. My two favorite drawers? My pot lid drawer that is in my big pot drawer and my "drawer" that holds my toaster oven. It's big enough that the bread containers (lock and lock) fit behind the oven.

• artistsharonva
    6 år siden

Depends on the type of cook & the daily function, & the items stored.

Function 1st.

Write a list of...

Determine what daily use is needed in kitchen to narrow down functional areas in kitchen. find out what type of area needed example prep area, baking area, cooking area, cleaning area

What holidays or entertaining will be needed in kitchen what serving or sitting area needed

To find out how much storage needed:

Take inventory of what kitchen cooking items have now & what future wants & space for new stuff. How much food items generally in kitchen, weekly, & monthly. If buy in bulk where to store extra.

A place for microwave if used

A place for small appliances, pullout shelves

Landing areas when bringing groceries in

Landing area pulling hot items out near cooking areas

Landing place when pulling food out of fridge to prep.

Where to put trash can

Useful cabinet items,

A pantry cabinet for easy access to everyday items, not used as much items in pantry closet

Drawers, but keep some regular bases for all tall items that will not fit in drawers.

Cookie sheet for storing long vertical baking pans vertically.

Lazy susan for items will not fall when turning to access

If ever want an appliance lift, a cabinet with no drawer, wider cookie sheet.

Pullouts in bottom only for tall items

Place for spices near cook area.

With listed work zones & what is needed in those areas, it will help get the enjoyable function in the kitchen.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 år siden

I love all drawers for base cabinets, I hate walk in pantries and much prefer pullout ones . I love it if you have enough space to forego upper cabinets around windows.I like counter depth fridges , 2 DWs if you entertain a lot, A wall of pullout pantries, the fridge, the wall ovens . Lazy susans in corners recycling bins under the counter .

• Sue 430
    6 år siden

I’m personally not a fan of all drawers, don’t think that they are the most organized way to store things. I have some of course, but would never want things like pans, dishes and glasses in drawers, although I know that most here would disagree. For me, I love my trash/recycling-pullout. Where to keep my recyclables before the kitchen remodel was a constant sense of frustration for me. I also love my larger than before pantry with pull out shelves. One thing that I didn’t really want but ended up loving was my super Susan.

• One Devoted Dame
    6 år siden

I'm totally with PG -- I love the look and idea of zero upper cabinets, to maximize windows and make everything easy to reach... I'm short and dislike dragging a step stool around as I unload the dishwasher (which I do 4 times per day with a larger-than-average family), or prepare meals.

I dislike microwaves above waist-level; I'd want slightly raised counters (so, taller base cabs/drawers) so my husband can prep and cook more comfortably; two dishwashers; "narrow" drawers (18"-24" wide) because the wider drawers are harder for me to open/close/organize, and -- I didn't realize it until B Mac pointed it out upthread -- I am constantly in my husband's way of the wide 34" drawer in our kitchen when I'm unloading the dishwasher (or helping him prep) and he's cooking, lol.

• qam999
    6 år siden

Ha ha, I came here to say "drawers" but I see the point has already been made. 90% of lowers as drawers is not too much. I love them for all my pots and pans, plates, bowls, knives, mixing bowls, baking supplies, tea bags, foil & wraps, utensils, plastic storage containers, and spices. I really like my large lower pullout for big awkward appliances like a bread machine. Trash/recycling pullout is a must-have. Pantry pullouts are great.......be they a full height cabinet, or individual trays. Flat drawers or slots for trays & cookie sheets. Minimize uppers for an airy look and pleasant feel that can boost the mood of your kitchen crew. Only as much cabinetry as you NEED for the things you have to store. (Excess cabinets to fill space just add expense, invite clutter, and increase the workload of your scullery maid.)

And of course, a kitchen designer to pull it all together! A kitchen is the most heavily used work space in your home, with many specific demands for functionality that need to be addressed by an expert (or a very knowledgeable and experienced amateur). There are constant innovations and improvements in materials and surfaces, appliances, lighting, storage modalities, and planning that should be considered.

• AnnKH
    6 år siden

After drawers (do you see a trend here?), the most important thing is a storage plan. That's unique to each of us, so you have to figure it out yourself.

Start with your kitchen goals. For example, when I remodeled my kitchen, my goals were to remove clutter from the counters (small appliances, knife blocks, phone chargers, canisters); to make efficient use of my limited space; to have everything for everyday tasks to be conveniently located near its point of use.

Specific needs to me: I removed a desk from the kitchen, but I wanted a place for desk-related items: pens, stapler, stamps and envelopes, address book, etc. I also added file drawers. We tend to stock up on pop and beer, which was stacked next to the fridge in the old kitchen; now I have a cabinet dedicated to cans and bottles (with shelves spaced accordingly).

I have a U-shaped kitchen - two corners. One has a super susan, for small appliances; the other is a dead corner, with drawers on each side. I wracked my brain trying to make the absolute best use of all the space in my kitchen, and ultimately it came down to function: I needed drawer space for small utensils, bags and wraps, towels, canisters, pots and pans, cooking utensils - all readily accessible. I did not need a cabinet for bulky or rarely-used things. In the end, my needs dictated the cabinet layout. I didn't understand that until I sat down with a list and asked myself "Where will I put potholders? Cooking utensils? cookie sheets?"

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 år siden

Some doors too.

• Ron Natalie
    6 år siden

We're determined not to have stuff sitting on the counters, so we put uppers near the cooktop for oils and spices that tend to sit on the counters in our current kitchen as well as a pullout with "crocks" mounted in the lower to put spoons and other stirring things in.

Next to our prep area we have an indrawer knife-block.

We have tray storage as well as rack space over the ovens for baking sheets and the like.

• jean1
    6 år siden
    A mixer-lift cabinet if you have a heavy kitchen-aid type mixer. The shelf lifts and locks in place. Make sure to put an outlet inside to plug in the mixer.
  • doc5md
    6 år siden

We are also doing a mostly no upper kitchen with lots of drawers :)

• kim k
    6 år siden

I personally like having upper cabinets in the mix. I find it easier to grab a plate from the first shelf of an upper cabinet than to be constantly bending down to the lowest drawers... Of course I love the idea of drawers for cooking utensils, pots and pans and reach-ability for the kids. I think they both have a place in the kitchen. I also like a narrow cabinet with doors for my cookie sheets, muffin pans and cutting boards.

I love the idea of not having to lift or carry my mixer out of a lower cabinet! Didn't know that existed jean1.

I also really appreciate the point that too many wide drawers in a kitchen will block more traffic when open. I never would have considered that I've been so focused on what they can hold. I'll be sure to consider the location of my widest drawers now so we are not all getting in each others way anymore than necessary.

• AnnKH
    6 år siden

Ron Natalie mentioned tray storage above wall ovens (lots of people do this above the fridge too).

I have a 9" base cabinet next to the sink, which holds all my cookie sheets, pizza stones, and cutting boards. Before dedicating an entire big cabinet to tray storage, determine how much you actually need, and plan accordingly.

Though perhaps "tray storage" includes cake pans, which I store in a drawer.

Again, the secret is to figure out what your own needs are, and what makes the most sense for you and your space.

• acm
    6 år siden

pantry with pull-outs -- has transformed our storage of everything from cereal to snacks to oddball baking ingredients, all of which used to pour out of wall cabinets. add some baskets and dividers for the win!

• pink_peony
    6 år siden

I personally will never have a cabinet/S style pantry again. After having them and then having a walk in pantry there is no comparison. I loved the two walk in pantries I’ve had. If designed correctly they can serve for a convenient place to store not only food but can also house small appliances leaving your kitchen free of clutter. If large enough they can also house a second fridge or freezer. They also can be designed so that the doors to them look like they are part of your cabinets.

Custom pantry · Mere information

• Shredder
    6 år siden

Double Ovens !!

• PRO
    Capital Construction Contracting Inc.
    6 år siden

Agreed you need is a good Kitchen designer. They can utilize your space to the maximum. Without a doubt , money well spent!

• laughablemoments
    6 år siden

A functional kitchen layout is a primary concern. I recommend posting your plans on GW kitchens and have them gone over with a fine tooth comb. They’ll save you the grief of things such as barrier islands, batwing islands, nonsensical placement of the dw and other issues that architects don’t always consider in their layouts.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 år siden

Hi Bouchra,

Fun question! For me?

Separate drawer for lid's

At least one upper cabinet with a glass door with in cabinet lighting

USB outlet (s)

In wall speakers ( I had to fight for that one)

A counter with my foot pedal trash can underneath it (not a fan of pull out trash, especially if my hands are grimy)

Deep sink

Okay, I added some, I know this was about cabinets.

• artemis_ma
    6 år siden

Drawers in your lowers.

If you are tall/have a bad back, upper cabs are a MUST.

Limit the number of open shelves, unless you like dusting. Or especially limit these if you have acrobatic cats.

Glass fronted cabs are great if you have matching heirlooms to show off.

Undercabinet lights are wonderful.

Shelving for pans and platters to be stored on edge is important.

Plan all cabs/drawers/shelves around how you intend to use the kitchen.

Personally, I don't like the idea of a separate drawer for lids. I want lids to live immediately with the things they go on. Otherwise, I'll lose one or the other. Your mileage might vary.

PS, do visit the kitchen forum!

• nhbaskets
    6 år siden

Something we included in our new build kitchen was a raised dishwasher. Not all kitchen designs can accommodate this, but I'm glad we were able to. At my age, it makes loading and unloading a lot easier (think raised W+D). I do wish I had included a drawer in the base. Never can have enough of those!

• ledmond10
    6 år siden

Nothing to add that hasn’t been said above. Best advice we got, which we actually followed was to take out everything we use and measure it and map where it would go. That got us 90% of the way there. We designed our kitchen in general and a custom cabinetmaker we had worked with before built it. (We always knew he would be building it, and we never ran across a kitchen designer who wasn’s selling cabinets.) There are a couple of places I wish were 3” wider sometimes, but I probably just need to pare down a few more items.

• Holly Stockley
    6 år siden

I'm not personally that fond of the pop-up mixer shelves. They don't feel that stable to me, and I use mine enough that it's just a pain. (The again, I have a 7 qt. so that's asking a lot of the mechanism).

I do intend to have a section of the island dropped a couple inches for rolling out/kneading doughs when baking. It gives me a bit more leverage without needing to tippy-toe.

One of the KDs I talked with echoed someone else here about not buying all the customization doo-dads until you live in the kitchen for a little while, since you may find you'd prefer to move things around.

• mommyniki
    6 år siden

The thing I miss most from my old kitchen is a pull out trash/recycler cabinet. I liked having it in there out of the way. I also miss my pull out shelves. I could never have a kitchen without upper cabinets. I’m not a fan of dishes being out on shelves. I like drawers but I also like cabinets. I think you need a balance of both.

• Bouchra Idlibi
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    thank you all so much! please keep em coming! so avoid the mixer stand all together? i was going to sacrifice some drawers for it...
    what about storing knives and spices?
  • B Mac
    6 år siden

I am putting my mixer on the functional counter in my pantry. I anticipate using it in there for quick tasks, and lugging it out to the kitchen for bigger jobs. So, no lift here but also no need to dig in a bottom cupboard for it.

• Audra
    6 år siden

Make sure your lower cabinets have adaquate shelving so you end up piling your tupperware and pots and pans. Drawers or sliding shelves are great for lower cabinets! I find a narrow cabinet that has two drawers for spices is really helpful with keep that organized.

• artistsharonva
    6 år siden

lots of options for spice storage inserts on amazon

Spice drawer inserts

Or diy spice inserts

http://www.ana-white.com/2014/07/plans/spice-drawer-insert

Spice pullout cabinets are better for tall oils, because, they usually do not adjust in height.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 år siden

I’ve had a mixer stand for 20+ years and have loved having it. I found more reasons to use the mixer because it was easy to access.

I don’t have room for it in the new kitchen so will probably be giving the mixer to my daughter. I don’t bake much as we’re gluten free now so I guess that’s ok.

I have loved our large single bowl sink.

You should absolutely post your kitchen layout on the kitchen forum. It will be worth it I promise :).

• southeasthouse
    6 år siden

Like many have mentioned, drawers and limited uppers.

If the layout allows, I like a wall of cabinetry, so that a countertop space housing toaster, microwave, etc can be easily accessed, but also easily hidden. I do NOT like built-in/drawer microwaves or coffee makers. Having just ripped out an old built-in microwave, it looked dated for years, and will now be a pain to replace.

Drumree · Mere information

I love the idea of a "chef's drawer" near the stove, to keep oils/salt/pepper off the counter, as well as easy access for frequently used cooking utensils.

Storage Beyond the Norm! · Mere information

I also love this thread from a forum member who built a sweeper vac into her cabinetry. I have no interest in a whole house central vacuum, but a toekick sweeper in the kitchen would be great.

I prefer toe-kicks only at spots where most of the work happens, like the sink and island. Otherwise, no toe-kicks. I prefer the look, and hate the dust-bunnies that gather in the toe-kick.

I like to keep the countertop as clear as possible, so a single hole kitchen faucet, with pull down sprayer.

Plugmold under cabinets, preferably recessed.

Traditional Kitchen · Mere information

Backsplash outlets horizontal, to blend better with tile.

I do not care about undercabinet lighting, but this is a huge passion on the kitchen board.

Leaning towards silgranit sink for toughness. Large, single bowl is a requirement of any sink.

Would prefer induction stove, but have been outvoted.

Garbage disposal. Pull out trash/recycling. Planned area for dog's food.

• artemis_ma
    6 år siden

I also have a chef's drawer next to the range. It holds salt, pepper, garlic powder and my most common cooking oils.

Thanks for reminding me!

• Elin
    6 år siden
    where is the kitchen forum?
  • kristian b
    6 år siden

soft close is worth the money.

• southeasthouse
    6 år siden

For spices, I like a narrow pullout next to the stove, to the side or above (not in the lower cabinets). But you can see from the comments [here[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/pull-out-spice-rack-built-into-custom-wood-hood-open-traditional-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~823874) that many people prefer a shallow drawer. I think a lot of it comes down to how many spices you use and how big the jars are. I will NEVER decant a spice into a cuter container, that's a guaranteed recipe for disaster. I'll never keep up with it. And I prefer to keep common spices easily accessible, but once in a blue moon spices in the pantry. YMMV.

Pull-Out Spice Rack Built Into Custom Wood Hood (Open) · Mere information

Knives I like in a drawer. Second choice, on a magnetic mounted strip on backsplash or even under upper cabs. I don't like a knife block on the counter. Clutter.

For knife drawers there are essentially 3 choices. A drawer with custom cutouts for the knives to lay on their sides. Looks gorgeous, but $$$ and does not have flexibility for change. A narrow pullout with a knife block mounted, so the knives are stuck in and hang vertically. There were some complaints here that the knives move and rattle a bit in this setup, but that's not a dealbreaker. Or a shallow horizontal knife block in a drawer, which is my choice. '

Contemporary Kitchen · Mere information

Comfortable Contemporary · Mere information

Leesburg River Creek Kitchen · Mere information

Soft-close drawers a MUCH beloved here. To be honest, they are not a passion of mine, outside of the trash pullout. I don't think I, or anyone in my house, has ever had a problem closing a drawer or cabinet gently. But they do tend to go hand in hand with full extension, undermount drawer hardware, which I think is ESSENTIAL. Don't waste that space at the back of the drawer. Pic below shows the difference between full extension and standard 3/4 extension.

Many people feel equally strongly about the cabinet hardware, with euro hinges for maximum opening and soft close.

If you are not going inset (for the look), then I prefer full overlay FRAMELESS cabinets, to maximize storage and accessibility. Ditch that annoying center bar!

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 år siden

@southeasthouse,

I’m with you on the spice thing. I’m planning almost exactly what your first pic shows, a pullout at counter height. Mine will be using an otherwise dead corner. I’m thinking it will be one of our favorite and most used features.

For knife storage, there is one more slightly different option. We have these cork and bamboo drawer inserts. The left side is little slices of cork that you slide the knives in to hold separate from other knives. My husband is very particular about his knives, he spent years researching and buying knives. They get hand washed and dried, sharpened regularly, lovingly cared for. This way the blades are protected from being dinged when placed in the drawers.

• One Devoted Dame
    6 år siden

Okay, since it's been brought up now... Soft close drawers....

I hate mine.

I jokingly told the warranty guy, "If I knew that 'soft close' meant 'impossible to open' I never would've spent the money."

I also have to use enough force to practically slam them shut (if they weren't soft-close), in order for them to close. It's annoying... I'm not accustomed to pushing hard on drawers to close them, and love the fact that I skipped the soft close feature in my bathrooms.

Do I just have junky soft close drawers? The cabinet guy has already "adjusted" the ones he felt were in need of adjustment, and said the rest were fine. *shrug*

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 år siden

Here’s the link to kitchen forums,

Kitchens

• Nikki N
    6 år siden
    Devoted dame, I am getting soft close drawers for the first time in our new build (husband really wanted them). I hesitated for the reasons you describe. Crossing my fingers I love them. PS any chance you are a gardener? Your name sounds familiar from seed trading years ago.
  • Mrs Pete
    6 år siden

Hello there, I'm building a new home and I'm in the process of picking cabinets. What are your recommended must haves in a kitchen? I want my kitchen to be practical and organized, with a designated space for everything. I do have a pantry as well. Thanks for your help!

I'm getting serious about cabinet planning right now, so this is timely. My thoughts:

- Yes to drawers, but not "let's stick drawers everywhere without any thought" ... rather, I'm going with mostly drawers, but cabinets just make more sense for a couple things -- and cabinets are cheaper than drawers.

Some people swear by wide drawers, and that does maximize storage space.

I cast my vote for wide drawers. My thought process: You can always add dollar-store dividers and maximize use of wide drawers, but a smaller drawer can't hold that larger item ... and two smaller drawers require more space for drawer edges /hardware.

BUT -- if you go with large drawers -- go with heavy duty hardware; yes, the initial price will be higher, but they will last, and it's cheaper /easier than calling in someone to fix a drawer that's broken.

On the impractical side, I opted for extra tall cabinets with crown molding to reach my 9 foot ceiling (Impractical because I will rarely climb up there to get anything, and I stand at exactly 5 feet tall). I highly disliked the dust that would collect on top of my old cabinets. The top portion of my uppers are separate and have glass inserts so they will be more of a way to display antiques and heirloom dishes, etc.

Did I write this? No, I couldn't have because I'm only 4'11" (big difference, right?) ... yet this is one of the choices with which I'm still fighting. I definitely want to-the-ceiling cabinets (that's non-negotiable) ... but I'm afraid of going with a tall-tall door, which may be more prone to warping. Yet the cost of stacking a smaller cabinet up top is ridiculous.

I am also leaning towards the option of "glass inserts" up top, but I am kicking around the idea of mirrored doors instead of glass. This means I could store things that aren't "display worthy", and it'd be cheaper (because the insides of the cabinets wouldn't need to be finished). A wrinkle in this plan: I want 1-2 of my upper cabinets (not tip-tops) to be glass ... and doing two different things seems wrong. Maybe I'll go with mirrors on those too?

I haven't decided what to do in this regard yet.

The #1 thing you need is a good Kitchen Designer. architects and builders usually design unworkable dreck. The KD will get you what you need it, where you need it.

Or will take your money and give you a lackluster design. Hard to know ahead of time.

Function 1st.

I'm all about it. When I'm unsure, I try to ask myself, "Which option is more functional, more practical?"

Determine what daily use is needed in kitchen to narrow down functional areas in kitchen. find out what type of area needed example prep area, baking area, cooking area, cleaning area

Yes, thinking through HOW you'll use the area is sure to help you get what you actually need ... it has to be better than assuming, "This is what nice kitchens have, so I'll do it too."

I dislike microwaves above waist-level

I've fought with where to put the microwave ... and I've finally made what will probably be an unpopular choice here: I'm going with a countertop model in the corner. I found a countertop model that's MADE to squish back in the corner.

Corners are too deep for me to reach anyway.

Only as much cabinetry as you NEED for the things you have to store. (Excess cabinets to fill space just add expense, invite clutter, and increase the workload of your scullery maid.)

I'm of a similar mindset. I agree that excessive cabinets just require more square footage and invite clutter ... but I say go with FEWER cabinets than you need for storage ... and instead plan a large adjacent pantry for storage. Pantries make so much sense: You can see everything at a glance, nothing falling to the back of cabinets, and pantries are so much cheaper than cabinets.

I removed a desk from the kitchen

Hate the desk smack-dab in the middle of my kitchen.

We have tray storage as well as rack space over the ovens for baking sheets and the like.

I have a wonderful, wonderful set of spice containers on small lazy susans ... they'll reside in a 30" wide cabinet between the range and my main prep area. I think this'll be just right because I'll be able to reach for them with my left hand if I'm at the prep area /my right hand if I'm at the stovetop.

This requires a sacrifice though: I'd like to have had glass fronts on this cabinet, but the spice jars -- while functional -- are something I want behind a solid door. Why? 1) they aren't something so pretty you'd want to showcase them behind glass. 2) I want to hang measuring spoons on the inside of the door.

I'm going with an 18" wide chef's drawer for my everyday baking sheets + cutting boards.

A mixer-lift cabinet if you have a heavy kitchen-aid type mixer. The shelf lifts and locks in place. Make sure to put an outlet inside to plug in the mixer.

Yes, I use my Kitchen Aid mixer multiple times each week. I am very much looking forward to it living in its own lift-up cabinet. My mom has one, though hers is a pull-out-straight, not a pop-up model; it's custom, and I've never seen another one like it. Although it comes with its own set of issues, it's more functional than keeping it on the counter top.

Something I'd like to know: How wide are your mixer-lift cabinets /the pull-outs themselves? I think my mom's is only something like 15" -- I need to ask her -- I think I want a little wider, and I can afford the space.

Last thought on this topic ... I want a pull-out drawer underneath. I have a second mixer bowl and lots of accessories, and I'm sure this'll be a great place to store them. Something like this:

I also really appreciate the point that too many wide drawers in a kitchen will block more traffic when open.

Ideally traffic shouldn't funnel though your kitchen.

The question here is, How do you use your kitchen? My husband and I both cook, but we both dislike the other being anywhere in the way while we're working. We'll have a small table in the kitchen for the other to sit at ... but we both agree: One butt kitchen.

Ron Natalie mentioned tray storage above wall ovens (lots of people do this above the fridge too).

I'm going with a pull-out tray above the refrigerator ... but it's going to be for paper products, which I tend to buy in bulk.

pantry with pull-outs -- has transformed our storage of everything from cereal to snacks to oddball baking ingredients, all of which used to pour out of wall cabinets. add some baskets and dividers for the win!

Keep in mind that pantry pull-outs are just as expensive as cabinets (well, except that you don't have to add counter tops), whereas a traditional pantry is extremely inexpensive.

If large enough they can also house a second fridge or freezer. They also can be designed so that the doors to them look like they are part of your cabinets

If you plan on a refrigerator or freezer IN your pantry, you need ventilation. A transom? Vented door?

For me, along with lots of drawers and limited uppers is a dish pantry. I wanted all my dishes, glassware, serving pieces in one location. I realize this isn't everyone's cup of tea but baby-o-baby I love it. this has been tweaked a bit with the addition /subtraction of a few things but you get the general idea.

I'm into it. I own seven sets of dishes. I adore setting a lovely table for everyday meals -- more so for holidays and celebrations.

Separate drawer for lid's

Or a plan of some sort for lids. When I put away the dishes, I put the lids on pots/pans and stack them neatly -- the rest of the family, not so much!

USB outlet (s)

If you're thinking of cell phones, a better option exists -- a cordless charger -- just set your phone on the little "electric coaster". Works GREAT.

A counter with my foot pedal trash can underneath it (not a fan of pull out trash, especially if my hands are grimy)

Any hints on what type of "trash door" is best? Same question for no-hands openers?

Deep sink

Being short, I'm not into the deep sink thing. I hate the super-deep sink in the staff room at work. I have to "lean in" too far, and I get water on my stomach.

If the layout allows, I like a wall of cabinetry, so that a countertop space housing toaster, microwave, etc can be easily accessed, but also easily hidden. I do NOT like built-in/drawer microwaves or coffee makers

Regardless of whether you like the idea of a wall of cabinetry, or an appliance garage, or a narrow pantry cabinet with pull outs -- you need to plan WHERE you'll keep all those things. If you don't choose, the answer will become, RIght in the middle of my main prep space.

My personal plan: We'll have a small cabinet (base cabinet + uppers) SET APART from the main kitchen area. The coffee maker will stay out all the time, and there will be space for a cake or a bowl of fruit to sit out ... the drawer underneath will be the bread drawer ... and the space underneath will be for our most often used small appliances.

Totally agree about built-in small appliances. If they die or become outdated, it's an expensive fix.

I prefer toe-kicks only at spots where most of the work happens, like the sink and island. Otherwise, no toe-kicks. I prefer the look, and hate the dust-bunnies that gather in the toe-kick.

I'd love this under the kitchen sink.

I do not care about undercabinet lighting, but this is a huge passion on the kitchen board.

I decided it doesn't make sense for my particular layout. My kitchen won't be large, and it's essentially three portions: Cabinet run with the sink (which will have a large florescent light hidden by a wooden cornice) ... a second cabinet run with the range (which will have a range hood with light) ... and a peninsula (topped by pendant lighting). These lights will easily "reach" the spaces in between.

Something I've been wondering: The cabinet runs will all be well lit -- do I absolutely need a central overhead light?

I will NEVER decant a spice into a cuter container, that's a guaranteed recipe for disaster. I'll never keep up with it.

I LOVE having all my spices in the same containers.

For knife drawers there are essentially 3 choices.

Two more options -- a knife slot right in the counter -- similar to a knife block, but doesn't take up your counterspace ... and a magnetic knife holder, which can be placed UNDER your countertop so your knives are handy yet invisible:

If you are not going inset (for the look), then I prefer full overlay FRAMELESS cabinets, to maximize storage and accessibility

Yep, I'm going with full overlay -- seems to be the "sweet spot" in terms of storage space and price.

Okay ... what hasn't been mentioned yet?

- I'm considering skipping handles on fake drawers under the sink /going with a towel bar. Something like this:

- Similarly, are doors above the range hood necessary? Even if I could reach them, the range hood duct takes up all the room. I'm thinking I'd like a smooth piece of wood, which could hold some decorative plates or a piece of artwork.

- When you're ordering drawers, be SURE yours will be full-depth drawers with full extension hardware. Sounds silly --and it is -- but I have a 30" deep peninsula, and the drawers in it only reach about 20". So, yeah, I have about 10" of empty space behind those drawers. What a waste!

- While we're talking about drawer details ... personally, I care about my drawers being the same size, so I'm going with three drawers in each stack ... but some of them will have a drawer-within-a-drawer.

- I'm planning a hidden spot for my rolling stool:

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    6 år siden

Your kitchen cabinet elements should be able to meet your expectations and daily habits and needs. Before you buy new cabinets, pay attention to the material drawers, boxes and doors are made of. For example, drawers should have soft-close undermount drawer runners and drawer, door, and cabinet frames should be made of solid wood.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 år siden

Do they give awards for longest comment? Good information though Mrs. Pete.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 år siden

@MrsPete would you mind sharing the corner microwave you found? The only one I’ve found is the Whirlpool, which has a rounded back. It will fit well, but after reading reviews it won’t work for me. Due to the small size there isn’t a keypad to key in cooking time, which will make my husband nuts and thusly drive me batty listening to him curse the thing every time he tries to reheat his coffee for 29 seconds lol.

• AnnKH
    6 år siden

Annette, I have had that microwave for almost 5 years, and it has served us very well. The lack of keypad makes it a little cumbersome if you need to heat something for several minutes, but we have gotten used to it. You can increase or decrease cooking time in increments of 5 seconds or 30 seconds. I did bring a dinner late to the store, to make sure it fit inside the MW.

The way it tucks neatly into the corner of the kitchen makes up for any inconvenience! I couldn't find a photo of the MW specifically, but you can see it here.

• southeasthouse
    6 år siden

The discussion of tall uppers reminded me - we have taller kitchen counters, and I love them! It wasn't something I ever really thought about until moving into a house with them. And I am definitely not tall, at 5'3. (That being said, my aunt doesn't quite reach 5', and she hates our tall counters, so keep that in mind.) This does move your uppers even higher. So the reach to the upper shelves becomes even more insurmountable. But again - I prefer to limit uppers.

Starcraft Custom Builders has some great info on counter heights here. Our counters happen to be exactly what they recommend, at 38" including countertop. Which I believe is about 2" over standard.

We also plan for extra deep lower cabinets, but a false wall behind the (few) uppers, so they extend out to an appropriate height over the lowers, but don't have back depths that will just suck everything into an abyss. Obviously, this eats into floor space, so depends upon your layout.

For the trash pull-out, Blum servo-drive so it can be knee-bumped to open.

• One Devoted Dame
    6 år siden

PS any chance you are a gardener? Your name sounds familiar from seed trading years ago.

I do *love* my flowers (especially roses!), but I've never traded seeds or plants before, lol. I should look into that.... :-D

• Mrs Pete
    6 år siden

Do they give awards for longest comment? Good information though Mrs. Pete.

Hey, I'm a literature teacher! Of course I'm long-winded.

The only one I’ve found is the Whirlpool, which has a rounded back. It will fit well, but after reading reviews it won’t work for me

Whirlpool. Sorry. I did read those reviews, but I basically use a microwave for two things: Softening butter and popping popcorn. If you told me I couldn't have a microwave, I would get over it in about a minute. I did seriously consider skipping it altogether.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 år siden

ER...a very, very large kitchen...?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.