bryan_ikan

Front Porch Makeover

Bryan Di
6 år siden
Any suggestions how I can makeover my front porch from plain to grand?

(15) kommentarer

• maggierateye
    6 år siden
    The window boxes might be more significant and proportional if planted in something fuller and/or that trails. Be nice to see greenery instead of the boxes.
  • Irene Morresey
    6 år siden
    Mass plant in front of porch, hydrangeas or knockout roses. Fill planter boxes
  • lepstein
    6 år siden
    Agree with mass planting season in front of lattice. Beef up size of posts (note that posts in pix above are all beefier). Colourful and comfortable furniture on porch. Perhaps door in similar, but not exactly the same, colour. Substantial lantern lamp hanging in front of door.
  • njmomma
    6 år siden

Not a Pro.

Probably repeating above.

Beef up columns

Beef up window boxes

Widen steps.

Landscape.

Give front door a pop of color.

• katinparadise
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Lots of good advice. I would also change out your front door light to black so it stands out against your white siding. If you look at the first picture Irene posted, just the top of the railing is black. It adds a nice contrast.

• Bryan Di
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm thinking a little bit more drastic change. I want to get rid of the flat roof and definitely find a different color door for contrast. Also considering taking out porch railings and just sticking with beefier porch wood beams. What do y'all think?
  • katinparadise
    6 år siden

IMO, the shed roof you have suits the style of your house. Because your house is not straight across, I don't think you can add a portico and have it look right. You might look into adding a dormer like this to give the front more dimension.

Beefing up the posts will help and you can even change the style of spindles. You would have to check with your town's building codes to see if you can be without spindles. It's usually based on how far off the ground your porch floor is. I truly believe your money would be better spent hiring a landscape designer to come up with a new landscaping plan, painting or replacing your gutters, adding correct sized shutters on the two larger windows on the left, and finding a great paint color for your front door and adding a larger sidelight.

• njmomma
    6 år siden

Bryan Di

You don't need us, you got this!

Love your inspiration pictures.

Be sure to post your after pics.

• jbtanyderi
    6 år siden
    Double the width of the steps, and beef up the posts.
  • PRO
    BEVOLO GAS & ELECTRIC LIGHTS
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Hi Bryan!

You may think about adding a striking exterior lantern. This will boost curb appeal nicely and complement the home.

We are the oldest open flame/electric copper lighting company in the U.S. and hand make every one of our fixtures in New Orleans, LA. We have hundreds of different lighting combinations and offer a complementary design service.

From your pictures, two awesome options are the classic French Quarter on original bracket or the Governor Carriage lantern.

Feel free to email us pictures of your space with the ceiling height/door height - and we will be happy to make style and scale recommendations.

All the best, Lindsey @ Bevolo

• Bryan Di
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Wow! This could be a great before and after pic.
  • PRO
    BEVOLO GAS & ELECTRIC LIGHTS
    6 år siden

I totally agree!

• Kendrah
    6 år siden

I think the problem is the living room window, not the porch. Not sure if you feel like knocking out a window or not. The pitch of your current porch really matches the lines of your house. I would not add a portico. Overkill.

• PRO
    Hardie Boys, Inc.
    6 år siden

Your porch is a great size for lounging and enjoying the view. You could upgrade your style by adding some new rafter tails/ soffits and wrapping your support columns. Here's some examples of Hardie Boys Inc. work you can consider.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.