tiffanyceddy

White wash or not to white wash?

Tiffany Eddy
6 år siden

Hello! My husband and I recently purchased a house. This is a picture of our brick fireplace and the recently painted new drywall (There was old dark brown paneling before we put drywall in.)

We recently painted teh walls "Windstorm" by Sherwin WIlliams - it is a medium gray color.

We have been debating white washing the fireplace to give the room a more contemporary look and to mute the very dark red/orange/black brick. I am looking for opinions! My goal is to brighten the room up and make it more inviting yet still have the fireplace wall be an accent wall.

The other picture is a picture of the gray slate colored tile we will be putting around the fireplace with gray grout. And also a sample of our laminate flooring taht we will be laying down. It is Pergo "Sterling Gray" from Lowes. Please give any or all opinions you may have! Thank you very much! If you have white wages before, tips/tricks, what color and kind of paint?

(11) kommentarer

• Tiffany Eddy
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I'm sorry Patricia! My original post was probably misleading. We aren't facing the brick with the tile. We are laying the tile in front of the fireplace (to put wood on, etc.). Sorry, first time home owner here, I'm not up with all the lingo! :) We will be laying the tile around the fireplace!

• jean1
    6 år siden
    I think she’s saying the tile will go on the floor in front of the fireplace?
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 år siden

I say whitewash the brick and see if you need the slate at all. Plan on a new mantel or painting that one. Brass is making a comeback, but many will advise painting the surround with heat proof black paint.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 år siden

if it was my room i'd whitewash it, or paint it... you dont want it to show through as pinky orange, either.

• bossyvossy
    6 år siden

Whitewash brick, remove mantel use grey pergo

• lesleycurl
    6 år siden

I would white-wash the brick, but use a pale gray as the white-wash base. You can lightly white-wash and if you want to lighten further, just white-wash again. After you white-wash the brick, you might be happy enough to skip the tile of the hearth.

Also, rather than removing the mantel, you can paint, white-wash, sand and restain, etc. Take a look at Houzz photos to see what different color mantels with white-washed brick catch your eye and will look good with your other color choices.

• PRO
    Garden Patios Inc
    6 år siden

definitely a white wash distressed brick look for the fireplace with a darker wood or tile floor to really make the fireplace pop, which is your main focal point!

• pink_peony
    6 år siden

I think once you paint or stain the brick white the mantle will really stand out and look like a rustic and more farm like feature. Is that the look you're going for? If so then I would wrap the beams on your ceiling to match the fireplace mantle. I would think about lightening the color of all of them though. Also the mantle looks high to me I would lower it. The space to the right of the fireplace looks painful to me. I would think about taking that fireplace mantle beam across and then adding a couple more to do shelves down that side. I think the main issue with that fireplace wall is it isn't balanced .Explain that tile again. Are you placing it on top of the hearth (now brick)? Or on the actual floor surrounding the fireplace? Either way I would eliminate the tile. I don't see any need for it. Are you or did you add the window? It looks like it hasn't been finished with casing yet. What color will the casing be?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 år siden

• 50s_ranch Andres
    6 år siden

If you intend to actually burn wood for extra heat, a flush wood-burning fireplace insert with window would be well worth the investment. Also, I'd skip putting tile on the floor, but I would tile the top of the hearth. That would make it easier to clean and more comfortable to sit on.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.