webuser_50724

Help choosing splashback tiles

Diana Pierre-Louis
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

We'd like to have a rustic look and as modern as we can get – a design that works with the pendant lamps and french door. But not too old world or dark to keep the room looking light. The walls and floor tiles are light cream. Thanks.

(35) kommentarer

• Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Thank you all for your comments, at this stage I am having difficulty picking up a tile colour that will go with the dark grey under the island bench that will still keep the lightness of the room. Having difficulty picking deciding which colour of glossy grey tiles that will not make it look drab.

• girlguides
    6 år siden
    I actually like the bricks you’ve covered up both colour and rustic wise
  • Renai Habets
    6 år siden
    I quite like the bricks too!
  • Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I know I like it too but unfortunately they are not of the same colour under the covered area. and all kind of patched up grub underneath.

• Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

We are also tired of the old bricks and not easy to clean oil on it. On the other hand I have seen glass splashback done using bricks as a photo pattern.

• Renai Habets
    6 år siden
    it's a pity they aren't in good Nick. You could have maybe put clear glass over for easy cleaning.
  • Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you for the advice Dr Retro-I have been considering those types of tiles as in the photo but unable to choose a colour to match the dark under island bench dark grey.

• girlguides
    6 år siden
    I think the idea is not to match but harmonise with door and island
  • PRO
    Interiors by Brinnie T Design | Phillip Island
    6 år siden

Good Morning!

Like some of the others here, i like the bricks!! It could be an issue if as you say, they are not all the same colour though. If you do like them - you could clean them all back as much as possible and then white wash them - if you can get an even look that you are happy with, get a piece of glass cut to size to install over the top of them as a splash back - keep the feature but easy to clean and no issue with oil etc.

Good luck!

• Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Are there such things as hand made tiles in Australia. i know Southern cross tiles are made to order, but where can i have handmade ones with hopefully a nuance in the tiles to bring in colour and shade component on tiles or may be a mix of orangey grey nuance???

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    6 år siden

Diana, I always point my Melbourne clients to Urban Edge Ceramics in Richmond who have a beautiful range of hand-made ceramic tiles in a wide range of colours. They are not cheap, but you won't need a huge area for your kitchen. I don't know if the Fifth Element range is available in stockists outside Melbourne.

http://urbanedgeceramics.com.au/component/igallery/Brands/fifth-element-handmade-tiles

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

• Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

My idea is to find things that work together while avoiding to look like the house is stuck in the 1950s! And have an element of uniqueness.

• havana007
    6 år siden

Either handmade per Dr Retro or Marble in herringbone or subway. I once did subway in machine made tiles and would have preferred more character if had my chance again

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Diana, what is the specific name/brand/material/colour of the grey island cabinet? I recently looked at the Urban Edge Ceramics website Dr Retro mentioned, and they are truly unique and gorgeous. Do encaustic tiles interest you at all?

• annb1997
    6 år siden

also, what is the specific name/colour of your benchtop material?

• annb1997
    6 år siden

Inspiration:

Diana Pierre-Louis thanked annb1997
  • jfi_studios
    6 år siden

my recommendation would be one of these....Surface Gallery do a beautiful collection of them and I have used a larger scale for a bathroom feature wall and flooring and they are really very beautiful!

They come in a variety of patterns and work really well!

http://surfacegallery.com.au/tiles/carrara-marble-mosaics 

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need further information on them/assistance.

• Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Annb1997; i love Dr Retro recommended website, I has given me food for thought with one of the tiles that picks up the dark grey under my island bench. I can't get this website out of my mind and the beauty of one of their copper colour tiles.

• Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I am in Western Australia, one of the suppliers even has to order the tiles from Melbourne.

• Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Annb1997, the under island bench is from polytec.com.au and it is called Cavia Lini Matt; I wish I had got one with more texture than the plain texture given by my crappy cabinet maker.

• Carol Gunn
    6 år siden

If you want rustic modern, there are some lovely tiles around that look like wooden planks that have soft variations of colour,. Would look great in this space and easy to clean.

• annb1997
    6 år siden

I quite like your kitchen joinery materials and think your kitchen is lovely. Looking forward to seeing what you choose for splashback.

• dreamer
    6 år siden
    I'm in Western Australia also, and have found that Myaree Ceramics have a wonderful range of unique tiles. They are in Norma road myaree. Very helpful with selections.
  • marie4509
    6 år siden

I agree with Dr Retro - handmade subway tiles in off white or light grey would fit with the french doors and pendants whilst also not clashing with the grey island, but harmonising with it.

• PRO
    User
    6 år siden

For a wow factor these tiles from Beaumonts look great with the dark cabinetry. Alternatively can't go wrong with subway tiles! Good luck with choosing.

• Kathy
    6 år siden

I think something provincial is beautiful like this but in charcoal colour perhaps.

• wuff
    6 år siden
    Hi, I am at same stage of renovating kitchen, regional Western Australia, harder to get different but I have found these at my local tile shop, that had to be ordered in, not up yet but our house is 1960 build and I had the red brick exposed with glass over the top, while very unique and lots of positive comments it was in a chimney location and debris fell behind and I have had it replaced once to clean it up and it happened again so I am afraid it is going, I am covering with same stone as bench top in fire place but I am using some marble tiles on other area. I wanted the stone behind stove top for cleaning purposes but I love the tiles I have selected I hope they look as good once up, I agree about not wanting house stuck too much in 50/60, my bricks were red and I found it quite dark when cooking as well, I am looking forward to clean white behind stove, I actually found the harshness of the old brick a bit depressing.. I don't think industrial look is for me .. I love your lights I think I actually had them on my list... the whole look looks fabulous, I hope you are surviving, I have had enough of cooking in the laundry but I must say I could write a book on the creative gourmet using $29 electric frying pan from target, I have fallen in love with it. :)
    Diana Pierre-Louis thanked wuff
  • annb1997
    6 år siden

You are very resourceful, wuff. All of those tiles & stone materials are lovely, particularly the veined ones. I hope you will share pics of your finished kitchen project. Cheers!

• PRO
    Evergreen Walls Pty Ltd
    6 år siden

Hi Diana,

How did you go?

Thought I’d share a pic of one of our clients that used artificial green wall panels for a unique splashback idea!

Richard

• PRO
    Cipriano Italian Home Design
    6 år siden

Maybe something like this? let me know if you want more info :)

Rustic look without the maintenance

Also come in subway shapes

• PRO
    Attic Building Design
    6 år siden

The tiles from Old World Tiles are quite beautiful , such as this one : http://oldworldtiles.com.au/timeless-amp-traditional-coming-soon/julie-tile?sid=31827

• Gallifrey
    6 år siden

We chose these tiles from Souther Cross Ceramics. They come is many patterns and colours. We wanted a feature and not boring.

• grmcc95
    6 år siden
    Just make it orange/yellow (rust) glass splash back. It will look good against black and gray and give the kitchen a pop of colour.
  • Diana Pierre-Louis
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks everyone, how can i remove this thread?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.