jabhome

Top drawers - slab or shaker?

jabhome
6 år siden
Our designer has proposed doing slab doors for the small top drawers in our kitchen. Not sure I’m a fan, however the small shaker can appear squished and busy.
shaker
slab

(23) kommentarer

• pink_peony
    6 år siden

Tough one. I had the same quandary in my current build. In the end i chose the shaker drawer. I personally just wasn’t a fan of the front of my drawers being different that the doors. Plus on my deeper drawers i would have had to have shaker and the two different drawer types were a no go for me.

• PRO
    Envision Custom Renovations
    6 år siden

Our feeling is that slab top drawers are more of a builder grade entry level cabinet, especially when the other drawers are shaker.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 år siden

I do not agree IMO those weird shaker drawer fronts are all wrong in proportion to the others and if not already installed I would suggest one long bar handle on drawers as opposed to 2 smaller ones

• colbran
    6 år siden

I agree, keep them all shaker. But PCC has a point; maybe make the wider drawers have one long pull instead of two small ones? Or, keep the skinnier shakers with two pulls and use the one long pull on the other bigger drawers? Have them mock that up and then put a picture on here again.

• Anne Duke
    6 år siden

I did slab top drawers and prefer the appearance. Small shaker looks cluttered to my eye. More important to me was the practical consideration of cleaning up spills and drips quickly and easily. This single aspect has proved its worth over and over. As for the "entry level" comment, the quality of the cabinets and overall kitchen will take care of that, right?

• Judy Mishkin
    6 år siden

i prefer slab fronts on short drawers... having a pull nested in the very small rectangle isnt a good look.

• pink_peony
    6 år siden

You can place the pull on the top of the drawer and not in the small shaker opening.

• Emily Jowers
    6 år siden

Exactly as you have it shown is how it should be. Keep them all consistent. We have the exact same drawers and pulls in our home and it looks great.

• jabhome
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    I’m mainly concerned about the drawer style, not hardware. The hardware has not been selected. These were just placed in there for visual purposes by the designer. We will be selecting brass pulls and probably large single pulls if we can find ones we like, just FYI.
  • skmom
    6 år siden
    We had trouble with the same decision when we were doing our own kitchen (diy, hubby designed and built all cabinetry) and I found a gazillion photos on houzz of both choices done very well. In the end, we decided that since our kitchen is not a traditional kitchen, a lot more eclectic, that we preferred the look of the slab drawers for most of the drawers. (Two of our drawers are actually door sized, and for those we went with the shaker style... at a glance they look like drawers until you realize the pull is in the top middle of the "door") I'll include some photos so you can see how the drawers can look all slab when the rest of the doors are still shaker. We almost went shaker on the larger drawers, but decided we liked a more simplified look for our eclectic, more modern kitchen. The last photo is a before/after compilation, the two drawers that look like doors are on either side of the range in the bottom right photo.
  • loobab
    6 år siden

Here they are right next to each other

http://www.municipalidadesdeguatemala.info/slab-front-kitchen-cabinet/slab-front-kitchen-cabinet-image-of-two-oak-cabinet-door-and-drawer-combinations-both-doors-have-flat-inset-panels-white-slab-front-kitchen-cabinets/

With the above, maybe one of the Houzz Photoshop whizzes can superimpose hardware on the drawers so the OP can decide which she/he likes better.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 år siden

when doing not painted wood, i think the slab front is an even bigger win. grain variations can make a small shaker drawer front look very busy.

• shead
    6 år siden

Unless you inset the drawers, I vote for shaker. When we redid our city house kitchen, we did beaded cabinets and did our top drawers the same as the others. My cabinetmaker's suggestion, which we followed and I like, is that for drawers 30" and under, use one center knob/pull and for greater than 30" use two. I ended up using small knobs on my top drawers because I was using cup pulls underneath, which would not fit into that narrow space on the top drawers. Personally, I find regular pulls ackward and "busy."

• User
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

Inset construction requires slab. Any other overlay, the rails will be much thinner and out of proportion to the doors and other drawers. Otherwise, there is no space left between them. And you will have difficulty with pulls unless you pay attention to their projection. Cup pulls are out of the question with the 5pc option.

• jabhome
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    SW sorry, I’m not totally clear on what you are suggesting. We are not doing inset. Would you do shaker or slab for the top drawer?
  • jabhome
    Forfatter
    6 år siden
    Loobab, thank you for the side by side pic. My designer could not display them side by side.
  • artsyphartsy_home_maker
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

I have shaker on all my drawers including the top drawers and love them. I considered the same question you are asking during when planning our kitchen. I am more drawn to the shaker on every drawer. I was told that putting the 'slab' drawers on the top drawer is a way for builders to save money because a slab drawer is cheaper. Not sure if that is true or not but that's what someone involved with our reno told me. I just chose what I like which is the shaker drawers. Whatever you choose, I don't think you can really go wrong either way though. It will still look nice.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    5 år siden

What look do you like better? Shaker style on top cabinets will look much more busy than what the look of slab doors would provide. Your builders can do one thing or the other and the fact is that both styles look great; the only question is what do you like better.

• pink_peony
    5 år siden

https://www.houzz.com/user/jabhome We have a very narrow shaker drawer front as well. We are tall people with big hands and finding the correct hardware made a huge difference. Find handles and pulls that have a tall profile. This way the size of the shaker cut out doesn’t really come in to play Since they sit far enough out .

• Deana
    2 år siden

@jabhome - do you have pics? I’m in the exact same dilemna. Sounds like if you could go back you’d do slab on the top drawer. I’m sure your kitchen looks beautiful.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 år siden

I have 'flush to frame' INSET cabinets, so I did slab top drawer and matching drawers below. I like it.

Plain & Fancy Kitchen - Dayton Ohio · Mere information

• jeanennemorphis
    sidste år

We did slabs on top for the last house. Just remodeled our newly purchased home and slab on the top drawers. I prefer the wider 3" frames which would have made the centers of the top drawers ridiculously narrow.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.