rachaelram

Front landscape needs refreshing

Rachael
10 år siden
I don't like pruning the tall shrubs, but I don't know what else to put there. Also, the entire front is blah looking. Suggestions, please.

(14) kommentarer

• fscarlett
    10 år siden
    How about some shade loving annuals to bring in some color now while you research shade perennials to plant either now or in the fall? Some ground cover like ajuga or sweet woodruff would add color in the spring and eliminate the need for weeding. A variety of hostas, astilbe, bleeding heart, jacob's ladder work well in shade. You didn't say your zone.
  • PRO
    Ginkgo Leaf Studio
    10 år siden
    Rachael, I agree that knowing where you live would help with plant suggestions. Also which direction does this side of your house face and how much, if any, sun does it get?
  • User
    10 år siden
    I would take out (relocate) all the bushes by the front door, add porch rails and stain the concrete.
  • PRO
    Judith Taylor Designs
    10 år siden
    I would like to see you fill in with some perennials in front of those leggy tall shrubs. It looks too thin there and will appear more lush. I don't know your climate but would rhododendrons work for your site? The look would be classic.
  • Rachael
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I'm in the mixed-humid zone. I'm northern Georgia.
  • Rachael
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    My house faces the North. It gets sun in the late afternoon.
  • mcbriec
    10 år siden
    Shrubs should be removed since they simply cover up the architecture of your home. I would not waste time trying to relocate them as the time and effort are not worth the result of stressed, slow-to-recover plants.

Late afternoon sun areas are a garden designer's worst nightmare as there is not enough sun for full sun plants and part shade plants hate the heat from late afternoon sun. I would strongly recommend a professional to assist you in plant choices for your climate and in that sun situation.

The steps would be much more charming with railings and shrubs to cover the sides of the steps.
  • kathleen MK
    10 år siden
    We had our windows covered by over grown yaupon hollies like that and ripped them out with great effort. Then I replaced them with lower growing azaleas. The Encore everblooming ones bloom fall and spring. They work in my north facing Texas yard so they will do in Georgia too. You can add bulbs to bloom in early spring before the trees are fully leafed out.
  • User
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    If you decide not to relocate them in your yard, you could offer them free on Craigslist, the recipient could remove them. You- free labor, them- free plants. Some ot the best growing plants in my yard were stressed, slow -to- recover found on Craigslist. My home is a refuge for unwanted perenials lol
  • mcbriec
    10 år siden
    Hey Margo. Love your recycling ethic! Perennials are much better bets for recycling than shrubs which typically languish in large and ugly splendor for oodles of time. I rescue tons of animals but am a total plant Nazi!
  • PRO
    Office plants Toronto
    10 år siden
    Hello
    Put some new self watering modern planters.
  • PRO
    Schultz Ornamental Iron
    10 år siden
    A nice iron railing would defiantly dress up the front steps. We make custom railings with any design you want inside it. Also all our railings are powder coated. Powder coat not only lasts a lot longer before rusting, but it also gives you any color to pick from. Just a tip for you. Hope it helps. You can get some ideas maybe off our page if you want to check it out. Or feel free to ask any questions
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    10 år siden
    I would suggest adding a water feature to the front to add some interest and remove the straight line of the planter. It would be a more graceful transition if the planter started at the corner of the walk and arced around the house.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.