mark6689

Oak Tree Trunk Table project - How/Where to cut into slices

Mark Evans
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

Hello.

This time last year, two neighbors and I got a contractor to remove a large Oak tree in our shared backyard. We were left with an enormous pile of wood. We left it on the front yard for a few days so anyone with some muscle could take it.

To my surprise, most of it was gone in one day.

I took some of the trunk and a few branches for my sister-in-law to make into tables.

All we need is to have them sliced into more manageable sizes. I have a table saw and access to other power tools. Unfortunately, this tree trunk is much larger than any saw I currently own.

I am looking for a lead on a lumber mill or saw mill that might be able to cut these into slices. I live in Bergen County New Jersey. We would be willing to travel if we must.

Thank you for the help. It's beautiful wood and I would absolutely hate to have to turn it into firewood.

(15) kommentarer

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 år siden

Following, I hope you get a good outcome :)

• User
    6 år siden

I used to live in the mid hudson valley about an hour and a half from you. There used to be someone with a sawmill up there. Let me see if I can remember where...

BBL

• Mark Evans
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you Pennydesign! I'll contact Walker's Sawmill and see if they can help me out.

• toxcrusadr
    6 år siden

Too bad you don't have a longer section of the trunk that could be cut lengthwise into large live edge slabs. That would make a fine table!

Really that's what should happen to all these huge trees that people take down, but there aren't very many operations that pair up with tree services to collect logs and process them. There are a few, though.

• PRO
    Patrick Magliocchino
    6 år siden

look up flattening slabs with router on u tube

• Mark Evans
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you for the comments!

@toxcrusadr We DO have a few long branches that we intend to make into coffee tables. When I get in the garage I'll post a picture.

@Patrick Magliocchino Yes, I have looked on the web and youtube. We are going to build a "router flattening jig" to even everything out when the time comes. Since the three trunk slabs are so massive and heavy, ideally, I would want to cut them in half. That would give us a more manageable size to work with and provide us with a table that won't break through the floor. :)

One of the last resorts my family has discussed is renting a chainsaw. The trunks are just shy of 55 inches in diameter. None of us (except maybe my brother-in-law) has any experience with chainsaws. I'm not looking forward to that.

Hopefully, Walker's Sawmill can help out.

Thank you, everyone.

• klem1
    6 år siden

In the event Walker's Sawmill isn't aware,limbs are unsuitable for milling into lumber. The boards will twist and move for years.

Mark Evans thanked klem1
  • User
    6 år siden

Also, if the sawmill idea does not work out, best next try is the contractor who cut the tree down---he obviously has the saw/expertise to cut those pieces to a more manageable thickness. Then do the router flattening idea.

Mark Evans thanked User
  • toxcrusadr
    6 år siden

Depending on the size of the limb those may be just fine. The way you get them to stay straight is to stack them with stickers in between and add weight to the top. For thick slabs, a lot of weight. Concrete blocks or bricks. It takes about a year per inch of thickness to dry wood. If your logs have been cut for awhile they have already started drying.

BTW, on the big round slabs, watch out for cracking and splitting. If the cut end hasn't already split you're doing pretty well, but when you get them cut again, paint something on the cut faces to slow down the drying. They have special waxy stuff for this but any old paint will actually help. It will be planed/sanded back off when you use the slab.

Mark Evans thanked toxcrusadr
  • Mark Evans
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thank you for the comments, everybody.

@HandyMac We paid the tree cutting guys extra for the trunk to be cut into thirds. When we asked the contractor to cut those three sections in half, they suggested we go to a lumber mill and have it cut.

• Mark Evans
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Update - Walker's Sawmill recommended a Portable Sawmill Company. I will call them this afternoon to check the price.

We started the project to save the wood and maybe learn something in the process. For that reason, I am willing to spend a little more than normal to get the job done. That said, I hope the Portable Mill isn't too expensive.

If it is too expensive, then, we are going to have some nice firewood.

• PRO
    Patrick Magliocchino
    6 år siden
    I don’t know how long they have been sitting .I would not rush the drying process . I would wait till “dry”before slicing maybe sawyer has experience.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 år siden

Hope you like funk and/or fill. Those are going to nearly self-destruct as they dry.

• njmomma
    6 år siden

follow

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.