beth_lemin

Kitchen Flooring Help! Butchers block and cream.

Beth Lemin
6 år siden

I am struggling to find a kitchen floor I like. I fell in love with slate but have realised it requires a bit of upkeep which I dont have the time or effort to do, therefore I've been trying to find something similar that is porcelain, LVT etc. However I cannot find something that I love, and have began to doubt even using a slate effect at all. I am looking for advice as to what people think will go well in the kitchen/dining room. It gets a decent amount of light through the patio doors/window (east facing I believe) so I'm not against something dark (I was looking at black slate after all) but have began to wonder if a lighter colour would go better. I have attached photos (excuse the mess). Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

(27) kommentarer

• AMB
    6 år siden
    I know that's your bare floor and some carpet but I think the grey colour works! Maybe some grey porcelain tiles or grey wood - like a nice dark grey parquet?

I think cream tiles might be too bland and you want to be careful to avoid 'wood-clash' if picking wooden flooring....
    Beth Lemin thanked AMB
  • PRO
    Carpet Trade Centre
    6 år siden

I have attached a few links with LVT slate designs for this area which maybe of use and I would recommend getting samples sent to you to look with in your space as images do not do the product justice.

http://www.karndean.com/en-gb/floors/designflooring-ranges/art-select/stone/slate

https://www.moduleo.co.uk/product/mustang-slate-70998

https://www.amtico.com/flooring/products/product-search/SS5S7501/

Beth Lemin thanked Carpet Trade Centre
  • PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    6 år siden

have a look at quick step majestic range its 2m long 240 wide

12.5 mm thick ideal for kitchen and bathrooms it has a hydroseal ?and it comes in a creamy/baige colour

Beth Lemin thanked ARC Bespoke Interiors
  • PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    6 år siden

if not wooden flooring

i feel 600 x 600 Porcelaine tiles in cream

• AMB
    6 år siden
    Ooo, go with ForzaItalia's recommendation!
    Beth Lemin thanked AMB
  • Beth Lemin
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks everyone, I agree AMB, cream is a bit dull and trying to match the wood would definitely clash. I have seen the porcelain tiles which look like wood, so maybe a grey version of those?

Forzaitia, it does look like I’ve copied your kitchen!! Your floor is exactly what I was originally looking for but I’m having trouble finding something that is just right (I’m not sure I know what just right is anymore)

• Beth Lemin
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Carpet Trade Centre, I have actually seen a couple of those that you’ve suggested and they’re the closest I’ve found to what I’m looking for! I think the next step is definitely getting some samples to see what they look like in my kitchen. Maybe that will help me make a decision

• Juliet Docherty
    6 år siden

I would go for patterned tiles - it could really lift it. Especially if you used one with a cream background with t bit of colour in such as blue.

London W8 · Mere information

Beth Lemin thanked Juliet Docherty
  • kikiamack
    6 år siden
    If you want to get an idea of Karndean in your own home they have a tool on their website that allows you to “see” the products in your room. Sometimes it’s difficult to imagine a whole floor using just a small sample. They have got some lovely grey to black stone effects so I’m sure you’ll find something.
    Beth Lemin thanked kikiamack
  • obobble
    6 år siden
    Have you looked at Edimax slaty? Slate effect porcelain in 3 colour variations.
    Beth Lemin thanked obobble
  • PRO
    Woodpecker Flooring
    6 år siden

Hi Beth, would you consider laminate? It's a hardwearing option that's easy to fit over an underlay and wouldn't feel cold underfoot like tiles or stone. It has the lovely effect of real, natural wood and is affordable too.

I agree that a grey or whitened shade would work well in the space. It'll add a nice neutral balance to the cream and darker worktop. Here's some inspiration:

Wembury Nordic Oak · Mere information
    Wembury Nordic Oak

Wembury Winter Oak · Mere information
    Wembury Winter Oak

Wembury Coastal Oak · Mere information
    Wembury Coastal Oak

We offer free samples at the website if you'd like to take a closer look :)

Best wishes,

Hannah | Woodpecker Flooring

Beth Lemin thanked Woodpecker Flooring
  • Beth Lemin
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’m reluctant to use laminate flooring as I’ve been told it’s not the best material for wet areas, and I have a dishwasher and washing machine in my kitchen which could potentially break/get my floor wet, and I’d hate to have to replace the floor.

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    6 år siden

there laminate flooring that are water proof , by quick step,

I have had experiences with flooded wet floors , customer went on holiday came back to the flood in there kitchen, all we did is lifted the boards dried them for about 1 week then we layed the flooring down , the boards did not even swell

• Beth Lemin
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Colourhappy, with patterned tiles, would you just use them in the kitchen part and have a different kind in the dining area? I’m worried that if it were patterned all over it would be too much

• Juliet Docherty
    6 år siden

Hello Beth. If you click on the more info bit of the first image you can see that they have combined them with wood -I think it all depends. There are patterned tiles available that have quite a 'low contrast' in terms of tone so they would be quite easy on the eye. They are now quite widely available. Have a look at Mandarin Stone and Pinterest of course.

Beth Lemin thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Beth Lemin
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

What do we think? The main colour is quite light which I didn’t think I’d like, but the grey (almost blue) goes well. I’m just not sure about it in the entire dining area too

• Sonia
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

I love those Etruscan style tiles, but I think they look better in hallways and bathrooms, and stunning in one of those gorgeous Islamic courtyard gardens. I’m not sure they would look right in such a big area? However, Beth it is your house and if you like then then so be it! I am a “safe” decorator so would be interesting to see what others think, sometimes I need to be more adventurous!

Beth Lemin thanked Sonia
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 år siden

HI Beth, another tile that might work is Topps 'Sculpt' beige. When I was looking for tiles I wanted a warm grey that looked similar to the concrete that was under the carpet. Sculpt has a slightly undulating surface and is not uniform in colour. Also, it's very large and contemporary looking. I think the colour could work really well with your units. You can buy a sample and get a refund if you don't want it.

• Beth Lemin
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Colourhappy, I think saw that tile today when I was out and about looking! It did catch my eye but I’m not sure it’s what I’m looking for as it is so big.

• AMB
    6 år siden
    I love that patterned tile! You could tile the kitchen area then have a complementing wood colour in the dining area? Or have a plain tile to designate part of the dining room where the table is then have a border of the pattern tiles, or vice versa.
    Beth Lemin thanked AMB
  • Beth Lemin
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

AMB, we’re on the same wavelength as that is exactly what I was thinking. Can’t decide which way would be better, pattern as a border or under the table like a mat/rug.

• Carolina
    6 år siden
    As much as I like a patterned tile, I think there must be better options for your kitchen.

Either a larger tile with a larger pattern, or what do you think of something like this? http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod43980/indas-rust-tile.html
  • PRO
    Floor Monster
    5 år siden

Hi there,

Quickstep do in fact have a couple of slate vinyl options. You can see them on our website here. If you are looking for some samples you can get in touch with us via email at info@floormonster.co.uk or you can call us on 0141 887 5698.

Here are two darker options from this range. These boards are the exact same colour. However, the spec of them are different.

AMCL40034 Grey Slate

AMPL40034 Grey Slate

Kind Regards,

Jack

• User
    5 år siden

Love what Carolina posted. We had that slate in a previous home. Beautiful but hard to keep clean, however you can get it in a porcelain tile now

• E D
    5 år siden

Beth Lemin's and forzaitalia's kitchen-diners. Uncanny!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.