robf1203

Need ideas on Bay Window treatments

TSVH - Rob
10 år siden
We have a bay window that overlooks our back patio/lawn and we need to put up some type of window treatments. We want to have privacy at night, but the beauty of the window in the day time. We have used 2" wood blinds in the other windows, but if we use this here, we loose a majority of the window seat. We thought curtains, but with the kitchen cabinet so close to the top of the window, we can't run the curtain rod past the window. Any ideas?

(28) kommentarer

• Laura Graden
    10 år siden
    Can you mount the rod upside down like a "U" to the bottom of the cabinet instead of extending from the face?
    TSVH - Rob thanked Laura Graden
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    10 år siden
    These window treatments outside mounted would work. They are top-down/bottom-up, so they will provide good privacy. You want something minimal, these are only 3/4" in depth so they will work.
    TSVH - Rob thanked Fenstermann LLC
  • PRO
    ResCom Designs
    10 år siden
    Use roller shades. Choose any of the many patterns or just something simple.
  • januarisun
    10 år siden
    Do you have a photo pulled out a bit more, so we can see what you're working with around the windows?
    TSVH - Rob thanked januarisun
  • Lanitra Bynum
    10 år siden
    Some throw pillows and wooden plantation blinds.
    TSVH - Rob thanked Lanitra Bynum
  • PRO
    ResCom Designs
    10 år siden
    Does this help?
    TSVH - Rob thanked ResCom Designs
  • bevballew
    10 år siden
    They are called duettes and you can raise them from the bottom so they would rest on the lower area and duettes do not take up much of the window view. Silhouettes are a roller type shade which does not take up much space and they are very pretty and delicate. It is a sheer fabric pleated inside and great for privacy and also pull all the way into the roller of about 2 inches.
    TSVH - Rob thanked bevballew
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    10 år siden
    It is a challenge that you already have two inch wood blinds on all the other windows. Optimally it would have been better to design the window treatments to be compatible all at the same time. Your black pained windows are gorgeous and you obviously have a beautiful garden view during the day. If I were starting from scratch I would have recommended woven grass weave shades for all the windows or a combination of curtains and roman shade. If you don't want to start over then consider a pair of curtains that draws over the bay window seat at night or roman shades such as Phase Five interiors recommends in a neutral colored fabric that does not fight with your view.. Duracell or pleated shades will look completely out of place in such window and look like an afterthought with the wood blinds.
    TSVH - Rob thanked Tres McKinney Design
  • PRO
    TSVH - Rob
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you for the terrific ideas so far. I will try to post an additional picture with more clarity, this pic was all I had at the time. Also, we are trying to stay within the Modern Colonial look. Are home has a raised column front porch with your traditional red brick main level, white siding second floor, black shutters and black front door. This window is located on the back of the home between kitchen and family room. Thanks
  • motownmom
    10 år siden
    I have a very similar window in my living room. That window faces the street, I love light, but wanted privacy. Previously I had cafe style curtains on the bottom 1/3rd of the window, with springform curtain rods holding them in place. Each window had it's own rod, the 2 side windows are narrow, the middle one wide. When I redecorated I wanted something different and changed to top-down/bottom-up accordion shades. I ordered them custom made, I want to say from JC Penney, but I could be wrong, it's been a few years. I leave them on the bottom of the window during the day, so I get lots of light, but privacy. I get the west sunset in the late afternoon & evening, so I pull up the middle one to block that, and I just get diffused light.

To stay in your style, the cafe curtains would probably be a better bet. I can't tell from the picture you posted what the width of the window frame is. Most springform rods only need about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch in width.
    TSVH - Rob thanked motownmom
  • bevballew
    10 år siden
    I have the same style window but floor to ceiling. I have woven shades and it works great and looks beautiful. The drop is about six inches. The other idea is still a silhouette.
    TSVH - Rob thanked bevballew
  • PRO
    GBBM Co., Ltd
    10 år siden
    It can be use the blinds in between 2 pieces of glass, and you will not must run the curtain rod past the window with the electric controller.
  • earliglo
    10 år siden
    If your style is Colonial-modern and the other windows are covered with blinds, I like the look of a simple roman shade such as ideas from Smith and Noble. Roller shades give a contemporary look and woven woods a modern (Pottery Barn) flair.
    TSVH - Rob thanked earliglo
  • papasulls
    10 år siden
    I have a similar window. We've used mini blinds, but they were cheesy looking. Currently we have room darkening shades with drape/sheer combo. Have been wanting to try a interior white bifold shutters for the lower half with a bowed valance on the top for the summer. My biggest dilemma is how to decorate for Christmas!!!!
    TSVH - Rob thanked papasulls
  • Dolores DeLuise
    10 år siden
    Perhaps you should leave the windows without coverings. The view is great--why block out the light and clutter the line of the windows when viewing from inside?
    TSVH - Rob thanked Dolores DeLuise
  • Madeline Small
    10 år siden
    One of our living room windows looks very much like yours. Before deciding on window treatments I looked at many designs ideas since I, too, wanted privacy and to see the beauty of the window (and the outside view). I decided on Roman shades with a bell-shaped valance (the other windows in the room have the same treatments) and I'm extremely happy with the results. My advice is to take your time deciding and good luck!
    TSVH - Rob thanked Madeline Small
  • mennenster
    10 år siden
    Put a lamp in the window that has a bright bulb and the light will make the interior almost invisible when it is dark outside. I noticed this many years ago in my parent's picture window. Try it out. If it doesn't work forget about privacy. Curtains or whatever in that beautiful window would be tacky.
    TSVH - Rob thanked mennenster
  • Geneviève
    10 år siden
    Here is an idea

Custom Valances Over Cellular Window Shades Beneath Arch Shaped Window · Mere information
    TSVH - Rob thanked Geneviève
  • Hazel Stratton
    10 år siden
    If privacy is not a concern, I would not cover those beautiful windows and that fabulous view. However, if some privacy is called for, I agree with Fenstermann LLC-Newport Beach in utilizing the top down/bottom up shade.We just installed that type of shade (cordless) in our bay window which faces west. It is a very simple, clean look both from inside and outside. It also provides some insulation. Actually there are 3 shades: one large and then the two small side window coverings.
    TSVH - Rob thanked Hazel Stratton
  • earliglo
    10 år siden
    If you are looking for privacy at night, I doubt you will be utilizing a top down/bottom up shade...they are more for regulating light during the day. Your view is beautiful and it doesn't appear that you will have passerby pedestrian traffic outside your window. I like the idea of leaving the windows unadorned or using a roman shade that will draw up during the day to a valance and give you the open view that you want and completely cover the window when you want the privacy.
    TSVH - Rob thanked earliglo
  • Sandy
    10 år siden
    I have lived without window coverings to enjoy my beautiful views for 10 years now. It doesn't appear to be a privacy issue, how about using exterior lights at night in the patio area so you don't feel vunerable. That way you can enjoy your fabulous garden view day and night.
    TSVH - Rob thanked Sandy
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    Roman shades above perfect. Pick color close to wall color ad a print. Or stripe adding many colors.
    TSVH - Rob thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    Loom Decor
    10 år siden
    we suggest doing an inside mount roman shade. using a light weight fabric will allow for sunlight to come in as well. if you want to add color and statement, a light weight printed fabric would work well!
    TSVH - Rob thanked Loom Decor
  • Hazel Stratton
    10 år siden
    just an fyi, our double cell, light filtering shades, top down/bottom up cordless, allow light filtering; however, I checked outside last evening and you can not see inside. They are a nice, inexpensive option and do provide privacy.
    TSVH - Rob thanked Hazel Stratton
  • PRO
    3 Day Blinds
    10 år siden
    Hi robf1203,

3 Day Blinds have lots of solutions that can achieve the look you are going for. The Simply Sheer Shades would be a great option because they filter light during the day and when fully closed provide full privacy. Roller a and Roman Shades would also work great in your bay window.

http://www.3dayblinds.com/window-treatments/shades
    TSVH - Rob thanked 3 Day Blinds
  • PRO
    LM Designers
    10 år siden
    I put balloon valances on mine and used pull up fabric shades that would hide behind the valances during the day and pull down at night for privacy.
    TSVH - Rob thanked LM Designers
  • PRO
    TSVH - Rob
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you to everyone for your terrific ideas. My wife and I decided to go with a pull down shade with a Roman Shade look. We added trim ribbon on the valance and along the bottom edge to dress them. We love the privacy they offer at night, and how they completely disappear behind the valance during the daytime.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.