missi_rogge

Large walk in pantry layout??

Missi (4b IA)
6 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

Argh. You have this room for a pantry. There's an open doorway (bottom) and an open window/pass through (left) into the dining room. Also a header running the full length of the room, 12 x 4". What you need:
--countertop under the pass thru (open under, no cabs)
--microwave on a wall
--any other countertop w/cabinets under
--mini fridge on the countertop
--spot for a vacuum, mop/bucket (preferably behind a door, not sitting out)
How would you best configure the space, assuming you have no limitations such as using current cabinets, no other appliances to work around, and want to utilize as much cabinet/counter space storage as you can? (the way we had it worked out before there was a bunch of open wall space and I didn't like that)

(52) kommentarer

• User
    6 år siden

Too big a want list, and the door is in the wrong spot to make it work well.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

The mw on a wall, a closed spot for the vacuum etc and a minifridge on a counter instead of the floor is too big a want list?

Door's not going anywhere.

I'll do it on my own. Thanks for your help ladies.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

You either want a closed up utility pantry, or you want a great good looking butlers pantry. Lose the window /pass through have the first, or leave the window, have the second. The more you try to have, the LESS you will have. The microwave belongs in your kitchen. Draw the INSIDE of it as you have it now, and include the door and pass through. You either want help, or you do not.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

So we're mostly at a semantics thing, is that what I'm getting? So, ok, a BUTLER'S PANTRY. I am wishing to have help figuring how to work a fabulous butler's pantry. I thought a butler's pantry was a fancy word for a big pantry. I sincerely apologize that I have made the egregious error in not knowing the proper nomenclature.

I would like help, which is why I asked in the first place. But if my help comes in the form of a few words that don't tell me anything or give me any direction in order to help someone help me or help me help myself, then I'm left with silence and crickets while I try to ponder the hidden meaning of the help I'm being given.

• User
    6 år siden

You can’t have a countertop on the wall with the pass through because the door is in the way. The door has to be centered in the room to allow storage on the two sides. There is too much wasted and unusable space with the door in that location. You would be better served to close that door off and use the pass through as a door instead.

• smitrovich
    6 år siden

As others have said, you cannot have a counter under the passthrough. But, I would recommend getting rid of the passthrough entirely and replacing with a door. That would be more appropriate if you are going for a proper butler's pantry, as it should serve as a staging area when you are entertaining. If you also need a broom closet, you can have them build one into the cabinetry.

• PRO
    Designworks
    6 år siden

I see no problem with your wish list, there is plenty of room for it all! First you can't easily move the door or pass-through so configure the pass through to that the "pass" is actually on the other side of the wall. In other words so that the window sill extends to create a shelf on both sides of the wall, say 10" or so on the outer side and 4"-6" on the inner side netting about 18" of shelf space to actually pass and or present things in the window. The "pass" shelf can widen out at the far end of the window to become a full counter as it runs into the corner. This would not crowd the door. Witch way does the door swing? You should draw that into your plan. I would stack an RV size fridge and microwave someplace opposite the pass window. A stub wall adjacent the door makes a small turn to the back "long" wall and hides the perfunctory cleaning supplies. The rest of the space is counters, cabinets (perhaps with glass or frosted door panels and boom you have a really big pantry and nice place to "display" the back side of this operation. Hope that helps. Reach out if you need more help. And for the record I think the pass-through is a great design opportunity. Leave it, guests will enjoy coming up to it to chat with whoever is behind it.

Best of luck!

Ivan

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 år siden

You may as well have a sink, a decent fridge or wine cooler....get a dw too. Move the dang entry to center, eliminate the door. You won't need it

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

We're not moving the kitchen into that room. It's a weird and unused space and while I wish it were different and perfect, it's not, so I'm making do w/what I have and making the best of the space I have available. That's the reason I'm asking for help, yeah? To me this is like a "bonus" space, my own little secret room and I had the idea that most people would be thrilled to realize they could have a somewhat large space for storage and such, rather than being snarked about, but whatever, what do I know.

The door way will be open. The space was part of the attached garage, and the basement door is *right* there-has been an irritation for years. We already took the door frame out and the joy of not crashing doors into each other, not having to set things down on the steps so I can open the door that someone shut in order to get into that room, or hollering "I'm behind the door" so the person in the little room doesn't open that door and crash in into the basement door when I'm trying to haul laundry upstairs-it's been nice.

We'd originally planned to remove the wall entirely, but with concerns over load bearing and the awkwardly ridiculous way they built the addition to the house in the first place many years ago (how many roofs do we have there in the attic? Three.), we felt it best to not mess w/it. We thought this would at least open it up a little bit.

There is a step down to get into it, and the ceiling is lower as well-it's the same height I believe as the kitchen (maybe a tish shorter), but "sunken". The dining room is there-so if we took most of the center out, there'd be a bit of "watch your step" behind that chair, and if we raised the floor to meet the rest of the dining/kitchen, I think it would be a bit claustrophobic in there like the ceiling is coming down on my husband-and then the header, which is that long deal coming down the center of the room, he'd be hitting his head on it all the time.

• charaj00
    6 år siden
    I would build a cupboard within the pantry for the vacuum, etc. and put it in the back seat of the pantry along the window wall. Run the counter under the window and stop at the closet. Under the counter, install pull-out shelves for larger pots, pans, lids, bakeware not used every day. Look for an under-counter refrigerator. Leave the top of the counter for the microwave. The opposite wall could have shelves for groceries, bins for produce, hooks to hang smaller cookware or folding chairs. Search "Pantry" for ideas in the House Photo section.
  • User
    6 år siden

So you aren’t willing to DO anything like move any doors or make new ones at all in order to get the laundry list? Something has to give. 50pounds doesn’t fit in a 5 lb sack.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Door on the right is the basement. Door on the left is what we took out. If you can figure out how to move a doorway into the basement stairwell, sure.

As I explained previously, we are limited by the ceiling and floor in the room. It used to be part of the garage. Unless we can come up with money to remove some of the roof lines in the attic, the ceiling height won’t change. If we raise the floor, my husband is 6” closer to the ceiling. I don’t know if 6 and a half foot ceilings are a concern but I’m betting he doesn’t want to be that close. There’s a concern with the header there that is already a few inches over the top of his head-raising the floor is an issue there.

It’s a simple room for simple people who don’t have tens of thousands of dollars to blow. I asked a very simple question-what can be done here with these limitations to add storage and usefulness. I seriously don’t think it’s that big of an issue here and it’s being made out to be more than it needs to be. I think there’s 50# of b.s. being crammed down my throat. If your mind is such that you throw your arms up and snort in derision that something is utterly impossible, then that’s on you. I happen to believe it can be a decently functional space rather than sit empty.

Sometime there are limitations to what a person can do-and if you’re unable to work with limitations and work around things, then I’m not sure why you keep insisting on brow beating me like I’m being some petulant child refusing to do what YOU want. I’m sorry I didn’t ask for your thoughts 17 years ago when we bought the house. Will this garage become a bone of contention for you if we decide to convert it into something more useable or are we good to go with the purchase?

• cawaps
    6 år siden

"Sometime there are limitations to what a person can do"

People are trying to tell you exactly this. There is not enough room to put a counter under the pass through because of the door's location. The countertop would be awkwardly in the way for someone trying to enter the room because there is only 2 feet of space between the door and where the counter would be.

MAYBE you can get away with a narrow ledge of 10 inches or something, but THERE IS NO ROOM FOR A COUNTER THERE without making the room incredibly awkward and unpleasant.

You can do an nice 11 foot run of cabinets on the side opposite the pass-through and include a tall/deep cabinet with room for your vacuum and mop bucket.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 år siden

Where before this did you even mention a door to the basement. ? When was the "step down" mentioned? When asked to "draw the space as it exists", did you do that? Where was it even SUGGESTED you move the kitchen into that room? All that was suggested was a way to make your bucket list of wants attractive and useful, in a 7 x 11 space.

Close it up, make the pass thru a walk-able opening , and go around into the dining area to get to the little "secret space". Use the two short ends, and the long side. Or leave it as you had it and that's that. Otherwise............."No limitations" was not that at all. Was it?

The door is in the wrong spot for what you want. But for a microwave.........it's utility space unless the entry is altered.. In your words, seems it really "isn't that big an issue".

• oldbat2be
    6 år siden

The picture was very helpful. I'm getting confused by the pass through - does it exist currently? - I don't see it in the picture you posted and would have expected to. Can you please post pictures of both it and the interior space?

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

It’s there now but wasn’t when I took the other picture. We added it just as a way to open up the space since we couldn’t take the whole wall out and felt iffy about taking out even most of it.

• bacino
    6 år siden

I am confused as to why you would want the "pass through" window. What do you plan to pass? How do you see your space being used? If for storage and the microwave, fridge, cleaner, then you have a great spot for those and I would lose the pass thru. It is just limiting your options.

• User
    6 år siden

Close the door next to the basement. It’s impeding storage. Decide if this is going to be pretty, or if it’s going to be the dumping ground for kitchen excess. That determines if it has a door or not where that passthrough is. Putting everything behind pretty cabinets on display through the open door costs money. Putting in inexpensive pantry shelving isn’t pretty and should be behind a door. It can be a frosted glass door if you want light flowing through both ways and for it to look less heavy.

It cant be a pretty to look at and Butler’s pantry and a detritus overflow at the same time. And it is not close enough to the kitchen to assume kitchen overflow duties like microwaving anything. That has to happen IN the kitchen.

If this was part of a garage, the new wall between house and garage needs to be fire rated. You can’t just carve out space from a garage area without doing that.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

The pass thru came about bc we couldn’t take the whole wall out and didn’t want the door there right next to the table bc of the step down. We just wanted to open it up a little bit is all. We have weekly fish frys with several people and no place to cook other than outside or on the dining room table-which makes it hard to hang out there. So the fish we will be done in the room. We figured the pass thru would be nice for air flow and so they’re not completely out of the house or we are all standing at the counter while they cook. If we didn’t have the floor/ceiling issue, we would’ve taken the center of the wall out as the door way and sheet rocked over the existing door. If we were all 5’ tall like me it wouldn’t be a problem. If we could get in there and mess around maybe it would work, I don’t know, but I haven’t been able to get t to work in my head. There’s always a “yeah, but” when we’ve tried to make t work. We could take out the center for the door way-yeah but if we raise the floor, there’s not enough clearance. We could raise the ceiling-yeah but we’d have to have a crew in the attic to remove the roofs, if that’s even possible. If I could figure a way to fix the yeah buts, it would be hunky Dory.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I’d prefer to have cabinets now that it’s open to the other side. Otherwise I would’ve been fine with shelves-but then it would need to be nice and organized all Pinterest ish.

• oldbat2be
    6 år siden

Thank you for the pictures, so very helpful.

The pass thru came about bc we couldn’t take the whole wall out and didn’t want the door there right next to the table bc of the step down

A step-down is not a problem IMO - we have one from our pantry to mudroom and another from there to the garage. (At some point in the future for us, it will be a problem).

Trying to catch up/follow. Did you mean you considered the door placed here? With framing, it doesn't look like it would fit. I'm a huge pocket door fan - if you added one either on the right or center, it could stay open for ventilation and be closed when you wish.

Speaking of ventilation - I'm sure you've considered it, but if you're cooking in that room, if you don't add something, your space will smell like fish fry.

countertop under the pass thru (open under, no cabs)

Open under, no cabs - just on the pantry side?

How long do you plan on being in the home? I.E., are you looking for a short or long term solution?

7x11 is a really nice space! Your drywall progress in the room looks great. It may seem overwhelming to try to figure out the requirements for framing a door - especially when you just put in the window - but if you plan on being there long term, I think it's the best solution.

• User
    6 år siden

How are you heating the oil to fry fish, and why is not being done in the kitchen on the stove? What kind of appliance are we talking about here? Surely you are not using a propane fired burner indoors to fry fish?

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Two griddles. We don't deep fat fry. It was too messy and stinky and a pain to clean up after so we haven't done that for a few years now.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

The step down wouldn't be a big deal if the ceiling weren't already lower in there. And the table would be *right* there if it were in the center-I don't want anyone coming by w/a plate of food and ending up cockeyed there. I don't relish the idea of sheet rocking one door way to move it directly adjacent. It could be done, I know.

I had asked about the pantry before we got started on it about a month and a half ago but didn't ask the correct questions/correct way, I guess, as there was no consensus to try anything so we just flew by the seat of our pants! The pass thru was a last minute thing to open it up since we knew we'd be cooking fish out there, and just wanted it to be a little more open. Now it is what it is for better, for worse, and if it's slightly less functional than 100% perfect, that's not a big deal to me. I live in a town of 5k people-it's not going to be a make or break thing on the place when we're dead if the kids decide to sell.

I would like it to be as functional as possible, if there's minor inconveniences, eh, that's no biggee. I would like it to look as nice as possible, not just crap tossed in there willy nilly. Is it going to look like a fancy high end home? Or pinterest? Nope.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 år siden

All design involves compromise. It all involves budget, realities, and adjustments. ......

A pantry of any type implies first, storage. A minimal prep space perhaps. A small second kitchen is for catering. A scullery of sorts.

You must whittle the wish and no griddles need reside here. Get a couple burner spanning Calphalon griddle pans. For the kitchen. Hire a KD and resolve the other issues in your kitchen

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Yep, compromise, budget, realities, and adjustments. I'm totally aware. And as the resident of the house, we understand what works for our budget and reality and we the ones who will be figuring out what we can and can not compromise on and making adjustments accordingly. It won't be a small second kitchen, it will be storage for food and things that don't fit into the kitchen that I wish to not have in the basement anymore. Which isn't much. We don't have much. What we need is what we've found over the last several years that works for us so that's how we'll be doing it. If it works for me to have counter space in the room to set bags before unpacking them into the cupboards, that's how I'll do it. I'll not be spending what the two of us make in a year or two to completely reconfigure the rooms.

• Laurie Schrader
    6 år siden

Personally, I find it gross to have food storage and cleaning equipment in the same space. Have you considered hiring a closet/pantry designer? Somebody like that can help you find your bliss, and separate a dust bag from food.

• suezbell
    6 år siden

Have you considered creating something in this space other than a single 7'x11' pantry?

Could you make the wall with the pass thru solid on this pass thru opening side and divide the 7'x11' space into two spaces:

one side could be a closet for the room on the other side of this 7'x11' space and

the end of this 7'x11' space that appears to open in a hallway or at a doorway (where you're now contemplating a door) could be large vertical drawers that pull out for storage rather than having walk in pantry storage?

It might help to see a floor plan of what is on all sides of this space.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

It would be a mop bucket and the handle, and possibly a vacuum, unless I leave it downstairs since the only thing I'll eventually need to vacuum will be the stairs. So, not so much like bleach, endust and windex on a shelf next to the bread. Regardless, everything will be as separated as it is now w/cleaning supplies under the sink.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

We've talked about different things. It originally was to be the laundry room. Water was the issue. Sooo then it was going to have the chest freezer and fridge from the basement and things like that. (extra chairs, tv trays, etc) We talked about it being a place for shoes, coats and such since the house is small and old, the closets hold like three things, like an oddly placed "mud room"..I'll put that in quotation marks lest I be beaten about the head for using the wrong terminology..as there is no room in the living room to create a "drop zone", "mud room", whatever.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I tried working it out a couple nights ago to put a big closet in the back, from the far end of the pass thru to the opposite wall in there and got frustrated so abandoned it for the time being.

• suezbell
    6 år siden

Do you have some graph paper to make it easier for you to draw possible plans to scale?

Are you doing a kitchen remodel with plans that need to a place a countertop below where the pass thru is now located or could that pass thru opening be extended become to become your door?

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I have this

which doesn't show the space, which is up where it says garage space. It's not a garage space but it seemed a little easier than random extra space that was intended for something else and didn't work.

I was trying on the Ikea planner b/c the kitchen w/my papers and such is all strewn about. Our vehicle was stolen two weeks ago yesterday and it's been a bit of a nightmare, sooo it became just toss that stuff on the counter.

I can spend some time tonight finding the paper and making one w/the space added on.

We're repainting and redoing the floor and such in the rest of the house, taking out the old cupboards in the kitchen and putting different ones in.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

• oldbat2be
    6 år siden

Hi Missi,

That last drawing was much more helpful. First - so sorry about your vehicle - what a rotten thing to happen, hope you get resolution quickly.

Don't worry about terminology - and do your best to develop a thick skin - most of us have only good intentions and just want to optimize a space, given requirements, budget and limitations. These experts - and I'm not one so take anything I say with a grain of salt - are thinking three steps ahead of you/us.

Feel free to start a new post when you have new ideas and would like a new subject to draw new input. And of course, use your common sense. I store cleaning supplies with my canned and dry goods - can't imagine why not. They're on different shelves - not like the draino is mixed in with my spices :) Well, depends on who is visiting:)

Hopefully I have this right- added a few labels.

5 1/2" step down - I looked this up:

The general rule (in the US) is 7-11 (a 7 inch rise and 11 inch run). More exactly, no more than 7 3/4 inches for the riser (vertical) and a minimum of 10 inches for the tread (horizontal or step).

So, one step down would be acceptable in my opinion. Where is the step down otherwise? (I'm still pulling for the one door).

It sounds like you aren't yet entirely sure how you'd like to use the space. I'd suggest drawing up a list of wants/nice to haves for the house, and writing it in order.

Ex -

Laundry room - you said water is the issue. (Maybe separate post asking the question - how can I get water from A to B? - quite often, this forum figures out this stuff, if you can only ask the right question. You can add to/use the above diagram to show existing pipes).

Storage - what exactly would you store:

Chest freezer/fridge

Shoes and Coats

Mop, bucket, vacuum

microwave

Here is one concept - using some of what you've asked for :)

1 = pass through shelf (why not have lower storage?)

2= lower cabinets pulled forward 6 inches, to yield 30" countertop surface

3= simple shelf on top

Obviously, I've paid no attention to your wish list - just showing that this IS a nice chunk of real estate to be used :)

Edited to add - try to provide as much information as possible in initial posts. Drawings with dimensions and pictures are so helpful. Include budget if you have one or whether you are DIY.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Right now, there is only the step down at the current doorway. If the header wasn't there, I don't think it would be quite such an issue for me as far as raising the floor. If we were to sheetrock the doorway and move the doorway to around the corner, so like perpendicular to where it is now, we'd have to also sheet rock back over the pass thru, and mess w/the electrical that's there in that space when taking the drywall out there to make the doorway. I don't see anything like that happening. It will have to be the least amount of screwing around, so unless there's some madly important reasoning, the doorway and passthru will stay. There's electrical under the pass thru also, forgot to mark those black squares.

We ixnayed the washer/dryer before we started-there's no basement under this part, so it would require more trouble than we wanted to deal w/to get water clear across the basement to the other end of the house, and then tearing into the underside of the house, which I *assume* is maybe a crawlspace directly under, but have no clue. I wanted to move the fridge from the kitchen into the space (so there would be more room for cabinets in the kitchen b/c the bedroom closet juts out into the kitchen and is a sore point for me, leaving the stove either directly next to a wall, where it is now, or moved over a little w/only small 18" cabinets on either side), but husband said no.

The chest freezer is supposed to go on the pass thru side, at the end of the wall, but that leaves empty space on the far wall, and I don't know that that's the best use of the space. But it's all we could come up w/given the restrictions of trying to use the cabinets we have rather than buy new ones. I decided to ignore the cabinet and freezer limitations and see what could be figured out if I didn't consider those. If something better can be decided great, if not, no biggee, I'll go back to what we'd originally planned.

If I move too much stuff out of the closet in the basement, that just gives my husband more room to throw all his crap and make more of a mess...

• oldbat2be
    6 år siden

Empty space on the far wall = shelving! Or - combination of shelving and the coat and shoe storage you were thinking of.

I know what you mean about DH's... any horizontal space becomes somewhere he can set things down....

Don't put it down, put it away.... if you can designate a spot for something, then that becomes its home. Again - please put together a list of all the things you would like to store, and prioritize it. That will help you make the best use of the space. We can't tell you what to store, where, but if you give us a list of what you have, we can help with the list.

Any news about the vehicle?

• Colette
    6 år siden
    I think there is always a solution for things! I'm sorry that you have had some negative feedback. I've seen on several threads that if you weren't spending lots of money and putting in top of the line things that certain people commenting can just be nasty with no helpful input. I'm not sure if they are just out of touch with reality of most people or just trying to bully people into paying for their service. Other people take into account what you are wanting and do try to help!
    An idea I had was a butcher block countertop that folds down. Put it away when you aren't using it and up when you are cooking!
    I also am a fan of pocket doors. I have one in my pantry and love it. I am also putting a beverage fridge and microwave in my pantry.
    I think once you figure out your area you will love it and it will be one of those cool gems that is unique to your house!
  • Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

We noticed it gone on a Sunday morning and they'd found it by Tuesday morning. We'd had a blizzard Sunday morning, so it turned out to be useless for them to even be out looking for it. My husband is an officer-he was the one who noticed it gone, when he walked out of the house to go on duty! They found it a couple miles outside of town in a fence line of a field, crashed into a tree. Insurance totaled it, and gave us seven days to find a new one-so that was a treat haha! Luckily my dad found one, so we had the new one last Thursday. Both of the guys who did it are in jail and I hope they get sent away for a long time.

I will make up my list.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

hmmmm now that counter idea..that's a wheel turner..I like it.

They got the electrical mostly done. Dad only hollered about three times regarding the insanity behind the walls..he's fairly certain the people who put the addition(s) on were drunk or infested w/spirits.

Gah I need some chocolate to make my list.

• Colette
    6 år siden
    Haha. Chocolate always helps!
  • Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

We'll want to put supplements/protein powder containers out there.

Medicines. Vinegar. Canned/boxed foods. Sugar, flour. Microwave, coffee pot, blender, toaster. Broom, mop bucket/handle. Cleaning rags. If there were room to hang our jackets/coat/kids snowpants, snow boots, shoes. Computer printer/paper, cookbooks that may or may not ever be used. I'd like to put a basket on the counter for keys, something for mail.

We have a few kitchen things that we use often that are irritating to haul up and down to the basement-the two skillets. There are some other things to store, but I'm actually not sure if I'll be keeping them. (small bread pans that we used before our oldest was born..she's 14 so..random things like that.)

The original plan, but could stay in the basement-chest freezer and filing cabinet.

Also could stay in the basement-vacuum and Christmas tree that I don't want to set up and take down every year.

• Colette
    6 år siden
    Would you prefer open shelving or cabinets? My pantry is 5'3" x 6'9" and I have all that you mentioned in it as far as food, cooking equip, toiletries on 4 long shelves. Plus I'm putting my microwave and toaster in there with a mini fridge. I don't have that done yet but will show you a couple inspiration pics.
    I have my mud room right next to it which is not an big space but has a long bench, coat hooks and storage for my brooms and vacuum. I think our spaces are similar in size but will have to look again.
  • Colette
    6 år siden
    I think if you put shelving for all your storage and fridge and microwave all on the same wall. Either the exterior wall or opposite the pass through wall (whichever has the outlets you need) it would work! Then you could put a bench and some hooks for your coats etc on the other wall. Here are some pics of what I'm thinking for that. Something like that wouldn't take up a lot of space but offer a lot of storage and looks pretty too!
  • Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

Well, we already have some cabinets, so we could just reuse those where we can and add shelves in the other places. I'd like to have counter space so when we need stuff out, like the toaster etc, we have a place to set it.

I've looked for some things on pinterest but I am not sure what it's called, how to phrase it in searching. Had wondered about doing like, floor to ceiling "closet" w/either a door or not in the middle, but it would be at the far "end" of the room. Big enough for the tree, broom, vacuum, coats, shoes and such, have a light in there, heck the filing cabinet could be in there too, but it's all sort of shut away. And then the counter (maybe a flip down?) on the pass thru side that ended at the closet, and the other side cabs/counter and it could maybe extend around the corner there that little jog and end at the right side of the doorway.

Need to draw it or something maybe.

We'd planned to add a place in the living room for coats/shoes and such, but I got to looking at it the other day, and if we did that, it would be a bear I think if we needed to haul anything in or out of the kitchen, or maybe even in or out the front door b/c the only wall to put it on is the main wall as you come in and go to the kitchen, the side of the wall that's against the basement stairwell.

• oldbat2be
    6 år siden

I love this cabinet for lots of storage. Maybe you can do one or two of these, for storage at the far end? Key is doors to keep stuff out of sight. Or, one cabinet and then one mudroom type area - bench, upper shelf, hooks along the sides, next to it.

Laundry & Mud Room - Glen Ellyn, IL · Mere information

I'm pulling for lots of counter space on the 'right' wall.

Could the counter be a 'flip up'? :) This way it could be lowered to take up very little room.

Here are some of the 'mudrooms' / coat and shoe storage areas I've bookmarked. FYI - I just search Houzz Photos - type in your terms, select style if you know it, and choose to search photos, and then entryway (I think), and thensave favorites off to my ideabooks.

Functional, colorful storage here:

Mount Airy · Mere information

Do this but simplify with just a shelf - or two- above:

Arbutus - Classic Luxury · Mere information

I like the warmth of the wood and the color. This would be nice to look in at, from the open door:

Nottingham Remodel · Mere information

Similarly, beadboard on the wall with an upper shelf would look very nice.

Hamptons Historic Residence · Mere information

• Colette
    6 år siden
    I think a flip down counter would work great for the pass through. They have butcher block counters at lowes and menards and I'm sure online pretty inexpensive.
    If you go on Pinterest search butlers pantry and mud room ideas. You will get a ton of ideas and can pick out ideas you like!
  • Missi (4b IA)
    Forfatter
    6 år siden

I'll go see what I can find, thank you! I told my husband once the drywalls finished being put up and the room is cleaned out, I plan to be in there w/tape and mark things off so I can see it. The pass thru, I asked my dad about, b/c we'd planned to put counter there and he'd forgotten--they got all caught up in making the pass thru bigger-he still says it will be fine, buuuut I'm not seeing it. I'd thought about making a cart/island type thing we could just push over there and position under..but there's not really a place to put it otherwise, so unless the counter starts farther in, I think it's going to have to be a flip down somehow. It's just hard to envision when there's crap all over out there.

• katinparadise
    6 år siden

following

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.