denildn

What to do with this front garden?

6 år siden

Hi lovely people!

We have a new (old) house and we'd like to spruce up the front a little. We are planning to paint the walls and the stairs need cleaning etc.

What to do with that small green space though? It's gently sloped and the soil is uneven from one end to another.

I should mention we are looking at a rather temporary measure (1 or 2 years) so we are not looking to plant any trees etc. as we eventually would like to create an off street parking space in that area. (That will be a whole new topic!)

I wholly appreciate any advice or suggestion!

Thank you x

(5) kommentarer

• 6 år siden
    Has any of your neighbours created an off street parking space with a slope similar to yours? Because I think that slope is a bit steeper than gentle?
    Denisa Cardoso thanked Emily
  • PRO
    6 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}6 år siden

To make this space interesting, colourful and wildlife friendly as a short term measure for a year or two, at little cost, I suggest you create a "meadow" of annual flowers. First you need to get rid of the grass, either by spraying and then digging in (this will take some time and will be hard work) or by skimming off the turf and carting it away. Lighty dig over the exposed soil, rake it , and leave for a couple of weeks. Weeds will sprout! Spray these off with glyphosate then very lightly hoe and rake the surface again in preparation for seeding. You could also rake in a general fertiliser. Go for a "Pictorial Meadow" mix, there are several sources available online. This is a mixture of annual plants selected for compatibility, reliability, ease of establishment, colourful effect and of course wildlife benefit. It will probably contain both native wilflowers and cultivated and non native species. Do not be tempted to sow only British wild flowers for a small garden project like this - both you, your neighbours and local wildlife will be disappointed by the result. You may need to water after sowing - the seed supplier will provide specific advice on this and about ground prepration and sowing rate - but once it all gets moving there should be very little to do other than sit back and enjoy.

Denisa Cardoso thanked Roger Webster Garden Design
  • 6 år siden

@Emily

Yes, quite a few of our neighbours have done this. The street actually dips a little so further down the street the slope is almost 50% deeper. We might be able to create bike sheds and/or refuse bin area. We are aware, that doing these works will include some structural works to support the house properly.

• 6 år siden

@ Roger Webster Garden Design

Thank you. I like your suggestion! I've since learned that the little land in question has a membrane roughly 5cm below the grass line and a lot of gravel underneath!

• PRO
    6 år siden

I would remove the membrane and possibly some of the gravel too, or just dig the gravel in, it won't do any harm but will make the ground free-draining, which could be a positive.

Denisa Cardoso thanked Roger Webster Garden Design
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.