shirley_cecchetto

What do you think of floating boards in a kitchen?

Shirley Cecchetto
5 år siden
sidst ændret:5 år siden

I'm having my kitchen redone and would like your thoughts on flooring please. One place I went to said its best to install boards after kitchen goes in. kicker gets put in after flooring has been laid. Another said it didn't matter. Our choice ultimately but he would install before kitchen installation. opinions?

(17) kommentarer

• wauchincloss
    5 år siden

Only install before if it is properly protected - not plastic but masonite or similar.

• bindable
    5 år siden

When we had ours done, the kitchen cabinets were put in first, next the floating floor then the kickboards (as what you said) and skirting.
    If they said they'd do it all after and kickboards/skirting, I'd be concerned that to finish the edges they'd want to put molding around it to tidy the edge - a look I didn't want.

• Shirley Cecchetto
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    It’s been decided. Going in afterwards. Skirting and kickers going in last. Thanks for taking time to reply.
  • Angela Dunlop
    5 år siden

I've always been taught to put the floors UNDER the cabinets - for both a bathroom and kitchens. I'm just about to start a reno on a kitchen that had the "incorrect" way of laying the floor, and as my new kitchen has a slightly different foot print I'm having to re floor completely. Also Height issues as mentioned about. The same applies to tiled floors. Always lay down 1st.

• PRO
    Get Andy Building P/L
    5 år siden
    Hi Shirley, hope you love your new kitchen. Whether to put the cabinetry over or not will depend on the type of floor you are putting down. If you are putting down solid overlay or round and groove, this goes down first. You need to have the floor sanded and the first coat of finish applied, kitchen is installed. Then the final coats of finish then the kickers installed.
    However...
    If you are installing engineered boards that do not get fixed to the floor (aka floating floor) then the cabinetry is first, then floor goes up to the edge of the cabinets with a 10mm gap then the kickers installed so to cover the gap.
  • PRO
    User
    5 år siden
    With floating floors we always recommend laying the floor after the kitchen is installed, leave a 10mm expansion and then your kicks.... this way if you have any plumbing disasters in the future you do not have the kitchen on top of your flooring... also you do not have the worry with the kitchen trades damaging your floor!! This happened recently on a job we did where the homeowner went against our advise and the kitchen cabinetry was dropped on brand new Engineered Timber Herringbone Flooring..... to say the homeowner was disappointed is an understatement. Very happy to read you have decided to install your flooring after :-)
  • Jennifer Bradley
    5 år siden

I would try to ensure you never have a flood - from dishwasher or whatever. Our friends moved into their house with brand new floating wooden flooring. the dishwasher flooded and it all needed replacing - from kitchen right through to lounge. Including dining and family rooms - and yes, it did - you only needed to look to see the mess that resulted.

• bob marley
    5 år siden

always put floor down first to allow future changes.

• paleyhemer
    5 år siden

I would think twice about boards or laminated boards heard of two friends plumbing problems in last six months total kaos!

• spmm
    5 år siden
    I suggest floor first - otherwise you end up with scotia as a way to cover up the gap. Scotia is like an extra small, very annoying skirting board.
    Gap - expansion gap required, ideally the skirting boards sit on top of the floor and hides the gap.
    If you put the kitchen cupboards in first then there will need to be an expansion gap between the boards and the kickboards - hence scotia.’

Putting floor in last means you are not putting flooring under cabinets - ie additional cost - really be clear on exactly what you want as a final finish.
  • Shirley Cecchetto
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    I’ve received different and conflicting advice. All of which seems valid. Lay first cause you may want to change kitchen layout. Guys....I have had my existing kitchen 20 years and it was here when we arrived. Add another 15 years. I’m in my 50’s...highly unlikely I will be changing layout. I’m choosing floating boards because I wanted to soften the otherwise very modern kitchen that I’m getting. Floating instead of actual boards because of $$. I don’t want to put tiles or concrete in case of a possible plumbing mishap. Positive vibes. Thanks to all for your advice.
  • Zoe Wilkinson
    5 år siden

We wanted a floating floor in our new home.. It was recommended that we didn't have one due to probable buckling over larger areas due to changes of temperature. (New homes are very airtight.) Also the kitchen company didn't like putting floating floors in as their insurance company wouldn't cover the kitchen warranty. So we went with vinyl floor tiles which are stuck to the existing floor. I live in NZ.

• Kathy
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Having gone through this stage i would always put the floorboards down first then kitchen etc., we didn’t have an option as our builder would not allow us to do it this way and I hate the extra skirting that goes on top of the edges...the scotia. I wanted clean straight finish and ended up with the extra skirting they looks c**p and am forever trying to convince hubbie to rip out the floor and extra skirting and tile it instead. PLEASE do it properly and put the floorboards down first otherwise you’ll regret it like I do.

Absolutely hate it!!!!!!

• missmel07
    5 år siden

I have engineered wide oak boards which are fixed to my subfloor so that the surface is more stable when I need to sand and refinish the boards down the track. My floors were laid prior to my kitchen cabinetry being installed and two years later I am very happy with how they are performing and the fact that I was able to make a slight adjustment to my island bench position after installation (which would not have been possible if the floor was not continuous beneath the joinery.) Hope this helps.

• Shirley Cecchetto
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    @kathy we are taking out our existing skirting boards and the flooring company are going to lay the new skirting for us. Kickers are going in after flooring is laid. This is what both our flooring and kitchen company suggested. The brown strip is where we removed old skirting. I will keep my eye on the trades.
  • Kathy
    5 år siden

Hey Shirley looks good so far. I know your making the right decision by putting the flooring first. Trust me you won't regret it like I do. Make sure you show me pics when done.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.