jshert28

Recommendation for Rainshower head needed

JES 28
5 år siden

We're planning to put a rainhead in the center of our 5'x4' shower (ceiling mount) with a regular shower head at the wall.

There are so many to choose from..can anyone recommend a great one? I'm open to square/rect or round. Also, what size? Will 11" be large enough?

Also, we are opting not to get the handheld because it looks so busy on the wall and mold always gets in the groves of the metal twist hose. I know they're great for cleaning though...Am I making a mistake?

(17) kommentarer

• PRO
    Fab N' Frugal Designs
    5 år siden

I'm designing my shower right now and plan on using a rain shower and two on the wall on either side. I love the feel of a rain shower overhead. Moen has a great rain shower and 11" is plenty.

• PRO
    LampsUSA.com
    5 år siden

Rain shower heads offer a luxurious alternative to your standard run of the mill shower. The heads are usually larger and hang directly overhead...simulating the experience of showering in the rain. But truly they are very different from your traditional shower head. The heads are wider because instead of spraying a concentrated stream of water directly on you-they hang directly over you and shower you in a gently. That means you get a more luxurious, spa like experience but it also means the head needs to cover more area. I personally love them-as there's nothing better than waking up to a shower that feels like a gentle rain. And I agree you need the hand held option as well.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 år siden
    I love my moen rain head (10”?), we have two in our master shower along with a handheld.
  • Emilie W
    5 år siden
    I would wager that the majority of people who have both a rainshower and a handheld (in addition to a regular shower head) use the handheld more. We bought both to go in our master. I disagree that a rainshower feels like drowning; I think it feels lovely and relaxing. But if forced to choose one, I would get the handheld. As to the size, we initially thought we would get a big one: 12” or even much more. But the plumbing store told us they get a lot of complaints about large ones here in California. If you are in a state or locality with water restrictions, you should check with a local store with lots of experience about what size will work the best.
  • AJCN
    5 år siden

We love our rain head shower and it does not feel like suffocating or drowning. I use it everyday, much more than my hand-held fixture. It's flat, like a disc for Frisbee golf. It's called JAC 10" Round Rain Machine in Polished Chrome. It was $263. 10" seems like the perfect size. Our shower is 4 x 6 with a clipped/angled corner where the door is, so it's actually less than 4 x 6. We have a hand-held which I use to rinse legs after shaving (we placed it near where we put a teak corner bench), and we use it for cleaning. I tend not to use the hand-held as much as I thought I would.

When I warm up the shower I place the diverter in the middle position so that both the fixed shower head and the rain head are on half-way. Then I usually turn the diverter full to the fixed shower head, take the majority of my shower, then turn on the rain shower for the luxury part. (Warming it up ahead of time means there won't be cold water in the pipe, so I won't get that cold blast when I switch it over; and the steam won't dissipate).

DH prefers a cold blast at the end of his shower, so he doesn't warm up the rain head.

It's luxurious, and feels like I'm on vacation.

• cpaul1
    5 år siden

I like the luxury of a rain shower head. 11" is fine. If you worry about it coming down directly on your head, you can always put it on an arm coming out of the wall. That is how mine is and it doesn't get my face or hair wet and I haven't drowned yet. If you have the ability to do both, it's really nice to also have a handheld for cleaning purposes. So yes, I would say it's a mistake to not do both.

• smit2380
    5 år siden

I could not do without the handheld.

• JES 28
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thanks all, we definitely do want a rainshower. I've had one in the past and loved it - I was just looking for recommendations on a brand/type anyone has really liked.

And thanks Smit, I'm definitely re-thinking the handheld. Do you have an issue with the hose getting moldy?

• User
    5 år siden

When we redid our ensuite I wanted the huge rain shower head (or horse shower as my husband calls it) and my husband wanted a handheld version because 'you don't need something that big'. We have both and I love my giant shower - and guess who uses it regularly as well? The handheld one is great for cleaning the shower though. Agree that having both would be a good option.

• User
    5 år siden

Our showers are Grohe brand.

• JES 28
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thanks Janelle!

SSDARB, the JAC 10" Round Rain Machine looks great. Just wondering if we should do that 10" or 12". I'll try and look in a shop for a better idea of sizing.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

we have a kohler... love it to bits, there is nothing like it. but i'd call the hand held essential for sluicing down the walls.. what walls there are. also for turning to the wall or floor while waiting for the water to get hot.

• pattyl11
    5 år siden

I have had a hand held since 1972 and never had a moldy hose issue. Maybe you need better bathroom ventilation. Not getting a hand held is a mistake. Can't rinse certain body parts with a rain head.

• JES 28
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Thank you - I have decided to get the handheld for sure. Beautiful bathroom ninigret!

• ajrmcr
    5 år siden

Regarding the handheld, we have the hansgrohe rain dance select E and it ROCKS! I wish I installed 2! It has a solid hose so no mold. Second photo is the hose.

• ajrmcr
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

For the rain shower, don’t get this one...it’s weak and there is not a setting which allows water to come out of ALL holes. hopefully, someone recommends a good one. ;)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.