ctmommy

Kitchen flooring issue

ctmommy
5 år siden
sidst ændret:5 år siden

Just moved into a brownstone with typical 1st floor layout: Living Room front of house, Kitchen in the middle, Family Room in the back. The entire lst floor is hardwood, not sure what. Front and back of the house the floor is in good shape. Kitchen is a mess. Gouges and scratches everywhere. Also, the flooring and cabinets are very close in color, there is no contrast at all. I've been seeing homes where the floorplan is broken up in the kitchen with tile flooring. Is this practicable to do with existing hardwood? Or should I tile the Kitchen and the Family Room?

(16) kommentarer

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 år siden

ctmommy you can put tile in the kitchen to do 2 things. Get rid of the messed up floor and pick something that will have a better color to go with the cabinets etc. The floors are probably a Red Oak. Do you have any pictures? Congrats on the brownstone too BTW. Really neat homes!

ctmommy thanked Oak & Broad
  • Sammy
    5 år siden

I wouldn’t change flooring in the middle of an open plan like that.

ctmommy thanked Sammy
  • PRO
    Wonder Woods Flooring and Carpentry
    5 år siden
    Your floors can be lightly buffed and varnished over if there are only light scratches on the finish. If that's done your floors would look brsnd new again.
    ctmommy thanked Wonder Woods Flooring and Carpentry
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 år siden

Thank you for adding photos! Those are really pretty Black Walnut floors! Have a floor finisher come out to see if they can do a sand and finish. They will look new again as mentioned. :-)

ctmommy thanked Oak & Broad
  • ctmommy
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I have had 2 guys out to look at it. Requires a full refinish ftont to back to match stain. I am talking gouges as if previous owners tossed axes for fun. Lots of fading near door in FR as well. Nice floor but not at all practical for kitchen area. Too soft!

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 år siden

Zalco is spot on !

• ctmommy
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

lightly sanding not an option. refinishing entire first floor also not an option at this time. :( We have a large dog who will just re-damage any refinishing.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    5 år siden

Fill it with wax and recoat, those dents look like 1/16 to 1/8" deep, too much material to sacrifice for soft flooring.

ctmommy thanked G & S Floor Service
  • chispa
    5 år siden

I would rather have wood floors with "patina" than tile in my kitchen. Don't chop up the open space with different floor types.

ctmommy thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    5 år siden

I would leave the wood floor! It's pretty! Change the color of cabinets in the kitchen!

ctmommy thanked Stecki Construction
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 år siden

Gouges are character. Leave the original fabric, please.

• SJ McCarthy
    5 år siden

Those floors are TO DIE FOR! It's the cabinetry that is bugging me. If you are going to change anything, please have a look at refacing your cabinets. It could be a win-win situation.

And yes, walnut dents. They are STUNNING and HIGH END floors. Removing them would remove value (a large sum) from the home.

ctmommy thanked SJ McCarthy
  • Marta
    5 år siden
    Those floors are gorgeous! Seriously, those gouges would not bother me. I have hardwood floors in the entire main floor including the kitchen that has also seen some “ax attacks”, but I consider all that part of the character of the house. Doesn’t bother me in the least.
  • baileysr
    5 år siden
    I like the floors too! And the dents would not bother me at all. But I love the beautiful warmth of wood so I am biased. Tiling your kitchen would break up your layout, and besides, tile is cold and hard (legs get more tired if you stand for long, more likely to break anything that you drop), and the grout gets very gross with various kitchen spills. Having endured two tiled kitchen floors so far, I won’t recommend.
    ctmommy thanked baileysr
  • Mid America Mom
    5 år siden

There is an alternative that saves the wood floor but gives you the look of a tile floor or rug - they are lay down floor clothes. Did a quick search and this company has them in the US - https://www.houzz.com/projects/2763567/ashburn-va-vinyl-floor-cloths-in-home

ctmommy thanked Mid America Mom
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.