hzdeleted_47798884

Wood touch up paint & filler?

User
5 år siden

I have two wood projects that are total head scratchers to me, I can't find the materials I'm looking for anywhere!

1. wood touch up paint that is actually good. those crayons/markers they sell at home depot are terrible! wondering if there is an enamel kit with shades of brown you can mix custom colors? or something similar? I could maybe use my artist oil paints, but they take forever to dry.

2. need to fill gaps where my cedar ceiling meets the wall (see pic) -- they're leaking air (confirmed by a home energy audit pro). caulk would do the job, but it's white. the clear kind is too shiny. what should I use instead? I'm thinking of painters putty in a matching color. or.....?

(9) kommentarer

• ci_lantro
    5 år siden

Forgot--I use crayolas for filling nail holes in stained & finished woodwork. Huge assortment of colors. Last step; you don't want to try to apply finish over wax crayons.

I've done the artists' oils & a fine tip brush where I've had to use wood filler restoring some vintage pieces. Works but does take a long time to dry.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 år siden

Acrylic craft paints are pretty durable when dry.

• User
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I was thinking acrylic, but it's tricky because it darkens when it dries. I think I'll go to a hobby store and buy some enamel. it's sturdy and dries fast. I was just hoping for a "wood" kit that already comes with the right shades of brown.

• PRO
    Wooden It Be Nice - Custom Woodworking
    5 år siden

There is a wood filler product that is like play dough. I use it in various colors and kneed them together to get the right tone.

About the caulk - from an energy perspective, I understand the need to seal the air gap. What I recommend is calling it and covering the corner with a small cove moulding or a quarter round. There's no caulking that will look good on wood that isn't painted. I hope that helps. Scott

• User
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

yes, I was thinking of the play dough stuff too! so easy to work with. I'll give it a try on one wall and see. I bet I can press it deep into the grooves to make it hard to see.

quarter round is a good idea, except for the aesthetics. this house is mid-century, and I really love all the sleek, simple squared-off edges in here. but I'll keep it in mind if nothing else works. thanks!

• mike_kaiser_gw
    5 år siden

I'm not sure anything that becomes rigid when dry is going to be a good choice because the way the wood of the wall and floor will expand and contract differently with changes in humidity. I think a color matched caulk would be a better choice. In addition to the "general construction" type caulks you might also want to look at caulks that come the companies that make tile grout. Many of companies offer dozens of colors, maybe you can get lucky there.

Frankly you'd be better off using some kind of little wood moulding. There's a reason they invented the stuff...

• PRO
    Palace Painting & Decorating
    5 år siden

look for "create-a-color" caulking. buy the kit and a caulking gun. With the kit you can mix in paint. Well add stain to the caulking in this case. That should give you the closest colour and look in my opinion.

• User
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

this is an ancient thread, but thanks for your input.

I don't trust any of the touch up markers. if they're too dark, there's nothing you can do about it. you need to be able to pre mix the color before applying. plus, other markers I used in the past faded to bright pinkish tones after only a few months.

I found this paint kit on amazon that's pretty good. it's basic acrylic craft paint, but what I like about it is that it comes with a decent variety of wood tones so I can get the color exactly right. it's not perfect, but this is the best I've found so far.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.