scott_williams7

I am considering a barn door to separate rooms but I'm concerned

Scott Williams
5 år siden

but I'm concerned about the differing door styles in the house. This barn door will close this opening next to a pantry door. I am looking at old reclaimed cypress doors but I'm wondering if something more modern painted the same color as the ship lap would make more sense.

(32) kommentarer

• millworkman
    5 år siden

So you would need to lcose a hallway door just to be able to open your pantry? Um, I would say no to that.........................

• Molly D. Zone4B
    5 år siden

Not sure how this will work?

• leelee
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

Barn doors take up a lot of wall space. Not sure how this solves any problems.

Why do you even need a door in that spot?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 år siden

Why a door ar all? I would change the pantry door to match the cabinets and sort of make it disappear,

• Judy Mishkin
    5 år siden

i'd rather not lose the 'art space' to the left where the door has to slide to. depends how much you like the look of barn doors and how much change is jingling in your pocket.

• Angel 18432
    5 år siden

What is the purpose of the door. Do you want a bard door because they are trendy?I would leave it open.

• RaiKai
    5 år siden

I too am not sure of the purpose of a barn door for a hallway. It would impede your ability to use at least one wall on one side (either pantry or art wall - likely the art wall if you want to keep a pantry) and as a barn door would be a poor sound dampener anyway.

If you want it as a design feature I think it is unecessary. There is already a lot going on in this space visually: shiplap, beams, etc. A barn door would tip or over for me to the “too far” side.

Scott Williams thanked RaiKai
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 år siden

It looks like the door leads from your kitchen to your dining area. Not sure it makes sense to close it off? Seems like it would be frequently used.

Scott Williams thanked Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • User
    5 år siden

No barn door.

Scott Williams thanked User
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 år siden

Rather than add anything I would look for ways to make this area look less busy, i.e. paint that narrow door the color of the wall, remove the mirror with the wide frame, put a painting there with a narrow metal frame, perhaps even find a much larger rug with a less busy pattern.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 år siden

Have you experienced trouble with your horses getting out??

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 år siden

No barn door.

• phuninthesun
    5 år siden

This opening doesn't seem necessary. I would enclose the area and enlarge your pantry into the space behind it (which also doesn't seem as useful as is). You could then use a barn pantry door there if you wanted.

• Angel 18432
    5 år siden

It looks like there is a butlers pantry in the area behind the mirror.

Scott Williams thanked Angel 18432
  • Scott Williams
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

The purpose of the barn door is to close off the back den/ kitchen to the rest of the house, but I'm not sure that's necessary and comments suggest most people think I have enough going on here as it is. There is a wet bar in this pass through that you don't see in the picture so I don't want to completely close it off as phuninthesun suggests. Good decision making exercise!

• Scott Williams
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

OMGosh, the comments are great! Maybe no barn door and I like the idea of changing the pantry door to match the cabinets and make it sort of disappear. Less=more in this space which is more the size of a keeping area than a great room which is how we use it.

• Sammy
    5 år siden

Is this an old house and the area we’re seeing an addition?

• phuninthesun
    5 år siden

The wet bar should be inside of the butlers pantry. Extend the pantry.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 år siden

Beads or a curtain would be better than a barn door.

• Scott Williams
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Yes, Sammy. This is the addition on the back of the house; a side hall camelback. I got tired of constantly walking the hallway so I opened up these rooms to each other by taking out that closet and opened the small bedroom sacrificed for stairs to the new master to the side hall. This created a dining area. I wanted to take out all the walls here but opted for the storage this provided. Before I did that you could close off this back room from the rest of the house with the french doors into the side hall. We kinda missed that part because you could entertain or watch tv back here while others slept in the bedrooms. It was also a way to confine our dogs to one area of the house.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 år siden

How about a double door like this:

Lake Shore Drive Bathrooms · Mere information

This one is 8" tall and yours would be 6'8". You could play with style, doesn't have to be glass, might be panels or maybe you can make it to blend into the wall, like this:

• damiarain
    5 år siden

Could you put a pocket door in (that pockets in behind the mirror)? (or maybe that a previously exterior wall...)

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 år siden

Only if you tear out the wall and re-frame it for a pocket door.

• PRO
    Star-Doors com LLC
    5 år siden

I suggest that using saloon style door the same design as your pantry door would be rationally. If you use pivot hardware for installation, you don't need to buy and install door frames and casings.

Modern option for barn door can be glass and aluminum design panel installed with barn track.

Bright white glass doors for closets in private house in Fort Lauderdale · Mere information

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 år siden

"...I am considering a barn door to separate rooms but I'm concerned..."

You should be concerned. Back away slowly and don't look back...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år siden

Scott. just do a regular in wood to match the room. get something like this and either paint or stain. or just do a single.

These would also be suitable for the pantry door, above and below.

couldn't straighten it.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 år siden

You know, why aren't saloon doors more popular??

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 år siden

um, because they belong in saloons?

• suezbell
    5 år siden

A barn/slide door for that opening isn't practical.

Unless you need to be able to lock the door, you could use full length café/saloon doors with a window -- the kind that are often used in restaurants between kitchen and dining. They're NOT just for saloons or restaurants and they'd "hide" the view behind the door w/o being in the way.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/385972630544218352/

You could also consider less than full length café/saloon doors.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 år siden

Some saloons are very popular.

• RaiKai
    5 år siden

My grandparents had saloon doors in a little kitchen that they used for wine making and canning on one of the lower levels of their five level split. I though they were the most awesome thing as a kid (though I also thought all the levels were cool too, and now I just remember how long it took to get from the lowest level/end of house to the highest level/other end of house).

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.