tony_wong28

control 4 EA controller

Tony Wong
5 år siden

is anyone using the control 4 EA controller offered by some home builders.

what is your experience and does it control

TV, music etc.. for every room that has speaker wired?

(19) kommentarer

• strategery
    5 år siden

Control 4 is proprietary. You will need a tech to make any changes, forever.

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    5 år siden

Hi - so we are Control4 certified dealers and can answer that for you. Which controller do you have? EA1, EA3 or EA5?

And there is some programming you can do on your own. Google Control4's "When-then" programming feature that you can do on your own without getting a C4 dealer involved. You cannot do everything in the system, but you can do some things.

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    5 år siden

Without knowing which one, generally we can tell you this: (1) All the controllers mentioned above have a Zigbee radio in them that will allow them to communicate wirelessly with Control4 Lighting, Universal Remotes, Doolocks and other devices that speak the same flavor of Zigbee. With about $140 in extra parts, you can talk to Z-wave DIY devices as well. (2) All the controllers mentioned above can also control other lighting systems as well, most notably Lutron Caseta, RA2 Select, RA2 or Homeworks. (3) All the controllers above can control AV devices using IP control, RS232 control or good old fashioned IR control. (4) All the controllers above can natively stream Pandora, Spotify Connect and SiriusXM. The EA3 and EA5 can stream this audio in a mult-zone environment (meaning sending audio streams to lots of pairs of speakers in the house (5) All the controllers above can control shades (most notably Somfy and Lutron), thermostats, ceiling fans, pools, water features, fire features and other environmental devices either via IP or RS232 control. The EA3 and EA5 have more generic contacts and relays for more classic environmental automation. (6) All controllers above can control security systems from companies like DSC, Honeywell and GE. (7) All controllers above can control surveillance systems from companies like Luma, HIKVision, Axxis, etc.

Bottom line, they can do quite a lot.

• Tony Wong
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Thinking of selecting either ea3
    Or 5

Which one is better
  • Tony Wong
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    I want to control as much as possible

What’s the difference

Garage doors
    Lights
    Music
    Tv
    Thermostat

Anything
  • Tony Wong
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

these are the control4 options offered by builder. do i need all this. what do you think of the prices and can i get them after i move in?

• Tony Wong
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

also is there a monthly subscription to control 4? monthly fee?

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    5 år siden

There is an annual fee if you want to able to control your home out of network. On the prices if they are installed and programmed equipment then yes the prices look fair. On the question of "do I really need all this?" that is really up to you regarding the parts of your home you want to make smart. A complete Control4 system can be installed after your home is built. The plus side of doing this is that you might get slightly cheaper programming rates although I would be careful if they are abnormally low as the programming will likely not be great either. On the negative side, you are you paying for your lights switches to be installed twice- once by the electrician during your build and again when you un-install the dumb switches and re-install smart switches. Additionally, unless the builder is willing to give you a schematic of the low voltage wiring installed for the smart home system, you will have to pay a new company to re-map out all the wiring to make sure they can use it to give you the smart home features you want.

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    5 år siden

If you are looking for more specifics, I would say start with this: 1x EA5, 1x C4 T-stat, dimmers for however many lights you want to make smart, 1x 4 zone matrix amp, 1x SR260 Uni remote. That will give you a main controller to control all other control4 stuff, smart heating and cooling, AV control of a surround sound system and its sources and audio playback in 4 other rooms beside the surround sound location.

• Tony Wong
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Doesn’t control 4 need cat6 wiring throughout home? Or it’s all WiFi?
  • PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    5 år siden

With Smart home controllers in general it is best to always have a wired connection if you can help it. I don't know what your pre-wiring package was for your home build so I can't say it that is an option or not. For C4 sub controllers can be run Wifi although I don't recommend it. The main controller must be wired.

• Tony Wong
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

can i add a fewthings for now and then add morelater?

planning to get ea5 or ea3

7" wall portable - 2 of them

thermostat

zone amplifier

light dimmer plan to get later

so is dorr and intercom

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    5 år siden

That sounds like a good initial plan and yes you can add later on. If the builder has a C4 installer they used to do the pre-wire that is ideal but really any C4 dealer can sell and install the gear. There are over 150 dealers in the LA and Orange County areas.

• Tony Wong
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

what kind of wiring do they need to do for the c4?

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    5 år siden

It really depends on what you are getting-- talk to your builder. He will connect you with his C4 guy and you can determine from there.

• Tony Wong
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

how much will it cost if I bought control4 after moving in?

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    5 år siden

Again that depends on what you get. C4 can be as simple at an EA1 and SR260 for a single room and go up from there.

• PRO
    Davis Audio & Video
    5 år siden

You can always talk to an authorized Control 4 dealer in your area. You can ask them to create a proposal. They can best advise on what you need and what setup would make the best sense.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.