simhoey

Ideas for Apartment in St Kilda

simhoey
5 år siden

I am looking for inspiration on how to update/ modernise my lounge room in a 1930s style unit

St Kilda whilst also keeping some of it's original features like the timber window sills, skirting boards and brick fireplace.

Hope you can help, thanks.

(18) kommentarer

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 år siden

Looks like a lovely room with some great bones. I think the problem is that somebody has tried to modernise it by painting everything white. Art-deco is a sophisticated, glamorous style that was not about white. I would do some research on art-deco, not modernise your room to current fashionable standards, but try and re-instate some of that drama and glamour in a contemporary manner. It has great bones and with the current art-deco features you are already half way there.

Also check out this eye-popping art-deco house that has been re-interpreted with a mix of art-deco and contemporary:

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-killara-121951878

Call on a professional who understands art-deco if you need help

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

BUILD Architecture Award 2018 · Mere information

simhoey thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • PRO
    Bronika Carter Design
    5 år siden
    Hi, what's the style like in the rooms in the rest of your apartment like? have those rooms been decorated? is if Art Deco? or something else. keeping a consistent style throughout the homes a good place to start and then use common colours.
    You have some fairly modern furniture in the room, will you be keeping this and adding some extra bits of buying new?
  • simhoey
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Hi Dr Retro, Lupton Interiors

Thank you for your comments. The rest of the apartment has a similar colour scheme to the lounge room. One idea I had was to get architraves made for the windows in the lounge room to make them more of a feature. What do you think? I would also need to decided whether to stain or paint the architraves white. Cheers Sim

• cloudpants
    5 år siden
    Perhaps you could use some of the elements of these rooms to transform your lovely apartment. Your floors look gorgeous and I think your rug lets them down. Also, the artwork seems out of place. I love your lounge. I am no expert, unlike Dr Retro who offers amazing advice.
    simhoey thanked cloudpants
  • tkjs68
    5 år siden
    The room is a good start but play up the Art Deco/ Hollywood glam. Research. Wall paper, bar cart, funky light fixture and definitely a new rug. Marble, gold, turquoise, black , geometric , all very current and accessible.
    simhoey thanked tkjs68
  • PRO
    Bronika Carter Design
    5 år siden
    If the rest of your rooms are fresh and white then I would keep a consistent theme running through the home. I'd add a coffee table in front of the sofa as the room looks a bit bare. Add some mid-century decor and some texture and pattern to the room. If you would like to send me the room dimensions I will put together a free room rendered with furniture and decor items for you in the new few days of you think it would help you visualise how the room could look. Regards Bronika
    simhoey thanked Bronika Carter Design
  • KK1000
    5 år siden
    I think windows would look better with shutters , fireplace may be improved by adding black marble to mantel and hanging large round mirror with slender black frame. If you want to change furniture go with mid century style and original oriental carpet.
    simhoey thanked KK1000
  • Irene Morresey
    5 år siden
    Mid century modern with a touch of Scandinavian would look nice. Love the black and white look with perhaps an oriental area rug, don't forget the plant and art
    simhoey thanked Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    BC Magic Wallpaper
    5 år siden

Have you thought about wallpaper? this would bring pattern and colour to this room, be it subtle or bold. Our self adhesive wallpaper removes off the wall without taking any paint or leaving any marks.

simhoey thanked BC Magic Wallpaper
  • Kazwa
    5 år siden
    I’m with cloudpants on this one..... great floors that are covered by that huge rug. I would get something smaller with a bold, modern, geometric pattern. Your bare wall on the tv side of the room would look great with a large piece of artwork, but I also like some of the other photos above with many smaller pieces clustered together. I have a similar apartment in st kilda and went for big paintings because it’s quite hard drilling holes in my walls
    simhoey thanked Kazwa
  • PRO
    GDP Interior Design
    5 år siden
    Hi Sim, great brick fireplace!
    •One very simple suggestion I have is adding some simple Roman blinds placed above your windows in a really stunning fabric. I know you have roller blinds - you can still leave them installed as a second layer underneath. Romans will give insulation and decoration. If budget allows for custom blinds, that’s the way to go.
    •In addition to a bit more colour either on the walls or perhaps on the ceiling, referencing colour in the blinds. Not necessarily on the timber trims.
    •Either a central coffee table or 2-3 small occasional tables
    •your favourite artwork style
    •cushions referencing or the colour palette chosen.

Just reflect if you actually want to modernise the room or actually make it more about your personality. Have fun!
    simhoey thanked GDP Interior Design
  • PRO
    GDP Interior Design
    5 år siden
    And like the others I believe the rug is sapping the vibe in the room, however adding an interesting occasional or coffee table in glass/aged metals will break it up and create a focal point.
    GDP
    simhoey thanked GDP Interior Design
  • simhoey
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

Hi GDP, I had been considering replacing the light, so really like the idea of new blinds that reference a new light. What colour blinds would you recommend? Thanks Sim

• simhoey
    Forfatter
    5 år siden

I am now thinking of keeping the sills timber, and getting roman blinds with timber battens to match sills, under a white pelmet. Something similar to the attached image. Hope it works !!

• PRO
    GDP Interior Design
    5 år siden

Hi Sim that is very minimal looking, even a bit Japanese inspired. Whilst you can do that of course, it won't inject a lot of colour or pattern in. If you do go that way, I think the pelmet is a bit unnecessary.

I was thinking you could use pattern or colour on the blinds, something beautiful like Ink and Spindle's fabrics (Abbotsford)and they have so many wonderful designs to choose from!

Your light is nice, albeit a bit small. If you do swap it out, try and use it elsewhere in a smaller room like a bedroom or hallway, especially if it is in good condition.

You've already got some blues and greys with the art, sofa, rug, so I'd build on those shades with more blues, linen/neutrals and warm them up with basket weave textures in your lighting or accessories... that will tie in your timber trims to the blue.

http://inkandspindle.com/window-furnishings/

That's one approach, of course!

GDP

• Lisa Swain
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

This space has such gorgeous light and the fireplace is lovely too. I think I would rotate the room to face the fire and the light. So take the rug and rotate 90 degrees if it will work. I would def place the sofa to face the fireplace.

So hopefully you can find a nice carpenter for these bits. I would get a small sideboard made and invest in mechanism to raise the TV up out of it. Place that to the right of the fire. Have the carpenter cut the round table top and add hinges to gate one side. Move the table and chairs to behind the couch (toward the viewer of the photo). Possibly turn the white credenza vertical and have carpenter attach to wall on left near back of sofa.

Add comfortable chair to left of fire.

Move art currently above sofa to over the fire. I think it will work better there dimensionally and moves visually moves the blue-grey.

• PRO
    Bronika Carter Design
    5 år siden

My vision was something like this room. Your dining table and light pendant is a traditional style and your sofa and TV unit is modern. If you were to buy a more modern table and add some retro/scandi chairs plus a new light and look at painting the walls a warmer white. You have started adding some blue so also add some cushions to match and change the floor rug to one with some texture. Good Luck!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.