kimmym12

Painted kitchen cabinets...top coat or no?

Kim Marks
5 år siden

I'm in the beginning process of painting my kitchen cabinets, and will be using Benjamin Moore Advance Semi-gloss paint on them. I've read that a top coat isn't necessary with this paint but was just wondering if anyone has done or would recommend doing a top coat with this paint and what did you/would you use, polycrylic? Water based polyurethane?

(4) kommentarer

• PRO
    Dutch Design Cabinetry - Phoenix, Arizona
    5 år siden

HI Kim, definitely use a top coat. The top coat is the clear layer that won't mark as easily as the painted layer. It allows easier clean ability and won't get "sticky" like the paint will. Finally, make sure you use a primer like Kilz to block and oils and stains that might be left on your cabinets before applying your finish color.

Hope this helps!!

• suseyb
    5 år siden

I've read that the top coat will "yellow" with age, and that you don't really need one. We have recently painted our cabinets and did not put any top coat on.

Kim Marks thanked suseyb
  • PRO
    Palace Painting & Decorating
    5 år siden

Does on top coat doors, door frames, and baseboards with a clear to protect it further? No, these coatings are designed to be self sufficient without the use of coatings on top.

Kim Marks thanked Palace Painting & Decorating
  • paintguy22
    5 år siden

No, Not only will doing a topcoat on top of Advance give you no durability gain, it may make touching up harder down the road.

Kim Marks thanked paintguy22
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.