jodie_lomax

Views on changing floor types in kitchen / diner (see pics)

Jo L
5 år siden
My OH and I are in a debate - he likes the idea of having 2 types of flooring in the kitchen. see pics as examples. I don't know where he has these ideas from but does anyone have similar I can see pics of or what are your views so I can get a balanced opinion of this. Also attached example of what our floor plan will be once the build happens!

(29) kommentarer

• Jo L
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    Personally I agree, can't see the benefits of having 2 flooring types at all but he seems very sure / certain!! Thanks for the pics you shared.
  • Danielle H
    5 år siden

I think in the past flooring you had in a living area probably wouldn't be suitable for a kitchen and vice versa. Nowadays most flooring types are so versatile you can use them throughout! Even with the slimmest joining strip there will always be a barrier between the two.

• tbyrne309
    5 år siden
    I moved house in December and the open plan living and kitchen had carpet mainly, though tiles in the kitchen area. It seemed a shame to replace but felt it would look so much better if everything was the same. So I replaced with engineered wood floor and also continued this into the hallway. It feels much bigger now, I love it.
  • Jonathan
    5 år siden
    Personally I think the two flooring thing is old fashioned.
  • PRO
  • Deborah Singh-Bhatti
    5 år siden

I don't like it and don't see why it's necessary. I don't think it adds anything, and much prefer the feeling of continuity you'd get from the same flooring.

• bandfodder
    5 år siden
    Not sure what types of floor you’re thinking of laying but I wouldn’t advise putting any sort of laminate flooring in a kitchen even if it says it’s suitable. As a plumber I’ve seen so many laminate floors in kitchens ruined by small water leaks from behind/underneath units. Problem is the water finds it’s way between the laminate and membrane and travels quite a way unnoticed. The first thing the customer sees is the floor lifting by which time it’s too late. When they say ‘suitable for kitchens’ it means it can take the odd spill/heavy objects dropped. There’s loads of porcelain wood effect tiles in all styles and worth the extra spend if you like the look of wood.
  • Jo L
    Forfatter
    5 år siden
    we currently have karndean x
  • kathryng05
    5 år siden

I had carpet and tiles replaced with laminate 5 years ago which runs from the lounge through to the hall and into the kitchen/diner. Big improvement, looks bigger and lighter.

• PRO
    Carpet Trade Centre
    5 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}5 år siden

You could also make a feature area around the island like the picture and if you already have Karndean down look at their kaleidoscope range for some inspiration.

• PRO
    Bill Davies Penny's Mill
    5 år siden

Take a look at Karndean loose-lay flooring. This comes in lots of flavours and can be laid over just about anything, including old vinyl tiles, though you may need a smoothing screed and larger areas will require a tackifier. It can go right up to skirting boards without a gap, so no tacky edge moulding like laminates. It's much tougher, easy to keep clean and good for noise and comfort because it's about 5mm thick. We laid it throughout our ground floor (in an old water-mill) including the kitchen and it puts up with heavy use. The resulting open plan/broken plan effect is quite stunning. I would however recommend professional installation, it will pay for itself in terms of speed and best result

• PRO
    Erika V
    5 år siden
    I tried to read everything but I do not know whether I missed something. My opinion is to have the same flooring throughout but true to find a seller who can serve you with two different materials but same look. Nobody will notice the difference on first sight. But there will be wood or laminate in the dining and tiles in the kitchen.
  • Sonia
    5 år siden
    For what it’s worth I would prefer the same flooring throughout. The two different floorings look like a fad that will soon date, if it hasn’t done so already!
  • PRO
    Bill Davies Penny's Mill
    5 år siden

I very much agree with forzaitalia, if you have a change of material it will always be visible and if you try to disguise this you will not be happy with the result. You need to tread carefully here!

• belindakor
    5 år siden

Architect son tried to persuade me to use 2 types of flooring but I wanted my kitchen diner to look bigger not smaller and dated. Very pleased with oak floor throughout but I do use a nice carpet runner in front of sink/dishwasher after seeing the damage constant water spills can produce.

• Allison
    5 år siden
    If you have a big space having different flooring can help designate areas. Our ground floor isn’t completely open plan, more zoned and we have used different flooring to help with this. Not great pictures but hopefully you’ll get the idea
  • Laura Thomas
    5 år siden
    I prefer the continuity that one type of flooring throughout gives. There are other ways of zoning a space that are better in my opinion, such as lighting or a rug under the dining table/seating area.

I do however love this example, where herringbone flooring has been matched up. It was in a bedroom and ensuite, so understand the use of different materials.
    Ambler Road · Mere information
  • PRO
    Dolores Magill Interiors
    5 år siden
    Definitely 1 floor throughout to give a sense of flow and continuity.
    If you have 2 different floors it naturally divides the room which will make each space look and feel much smaller .
  • Hes Thomas
    5 år siden
    Considering similar but with decorated encaustic tiles marking a path through the hall, curving through the lounge and straight to the kitchen between units and a kitchen island. The rest would either be parquet or a plain tile. Will post a picture for this inspiration.
  • Hes Thomas
    5 år siden
    High traffic areas won’t show dog tracks as much in the decorated tile.
  • Hes Thomas
    5 år siden
    The same track through the kitchen.
  • Lee Slater
    5 år siden
    It’s personal preference, however for me and as an ex estate agent if you do split the floor coverings and create zones you do run the risk of making the room feel smaller. Looking at the design and where the island is, I think it would also bother me if the island was to cross both areas of flooring and encroach into another zone. You’ve got to do what works for you though. You can always use a rug as an inbetween?
  • Nichola Anderson
    5 år siden
    What a lovely kitchen you have. Can you please tell me how I can make a post as I’d like to seek ideas for my little kitchen?
  • Jonathan
    5 år siden
    @Andersonnix
    On the page of all the Design Dilemmas there is a box entitled ‘Start a Discussion’.
  • PRO
    Charlie Howe Design
    5 år siden

If you haven't already decided, if you are really keen to have two types of flooring, have a break at the mid point of the island - I can see why you might want the business end of the kitchen in something different. But don't have a rug - it would be a trip hazard - and flooring comes in so many different forms that you prob should be able to find a solution that works - engineered oak is coated in a non porous finish - so if spills are mopped no prob - and tiles are easy too. Decisions decisions! Jenny H

• PRO
    Charlie Howe Design
    5 år siden

Andersonnix where are you? Happy to help if you are not too far away.

• Susan Stead
    4 år siden

A change of floor treatment breaks the flow and puts up an invisible wall. The other problem is that if you perhaps have furniture that encroaches into the change of flooring area, so that it occupies two zones, it looks like you are lacking space in the room as a whole!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.